Objectivism Online Forum

Can we do anything?

Rate this topic

Mr. Wynand

Every time I try to explain the ideals of objectivism, most people use rationalizations like "Ayn Rand was crazy" (Have you read a word of her books?) and "Have you no compassion?" (Yeah I don't because I measure men by their values, not by how much lower they are in comparison to me.) It's getting ridiculous how ignorant people can get. So what can I do to further the objectivist cause?

Edited by Mr. Wynand

Every time I try to explain the ideals of objectivism, most people use rationalizations like "Ayn Rand was crazy" (Have you read a word of her books?) and "Have you no compassion?" (Yeah I don't because I measure men by their values, not by how much lower they are in comparison to me.) It's getting ridiculous how ignorant people can get. So what can I do to further the objectivist cause?
Seek out those who are willing to reason, to evaluate ideas honestly, and who want to know the truth and want to live. Skip the rest -- they'll just give you a headache. Edited by KurtColville

Read "Philosophy: Who needs it?" in which she answers, "What can one person do?"

If a person is going to make accusations such as "Ayn Rand was crazy" or having no compassion, turn the tables and put the burden of proof on the accuser. Ask this person "why do you feel Ayn Rand was crazy?" "What principle of objectivism do you find to suggest that this philosophy or its practitioners are uncompassionate?"

I've been told Ayn Rand was crazy because her ideas where "radical" and "couldn't fit in with tradition." My reply is to say I guess our founding fathers and your Jesus Christ were radicals that didn't fit in with tradition and by your reason must therefor be crazy too. <_<

• 3 months later...

Yes I have compassion, and my automatic impulse to someone in need is to go through as much trouble as necessary to help him out. I'm not pointing this out because I want to beat my chest, but to illustrate the difference between personal compassion and forced collective compassion (Slavery).

A person who helps another person of his own volition and honestly without expecting reward (In what an Objectivist would call a 'selfish' manner), is worthy of some respect for extending his sense of self to another person and taking that person under his wing.

The same person who's forced to do the same thing is robbed of all dignity and freedom and is literally a slave.

Ask your friend why he's so bereft of compassion that he would make slaves out of people, forcing to do what he personally believes that they should, and robbing them of any dignity that they might have by doing those things of their own volition. Remind him that the United States is the givingest nation on earth to charities, whereas the European nations that have a much more robust nanny state don't give nearly as much per capita to charities as our country does.

Being 'forced' to give to charity denies the choice that God gave us all, and is therefore unchristian. You can use that line if the guy calls himself a christian.

Disclaimer: I'm a Roman Catholic. Don't take anything I say seriously. You have been warned.