Objectivism Online Forum

Dinosaur Comics almost nails "Rational Self Interest"

Rate this topic

Chops

I don't know anything about Dinosaur Comics, but looking at the one picture, it seems like it is a satire of altruism, in which case the author got it exactly right, and he's a smart guy who wrote this for a smart audience.

However, if I'm misreading it, and he isn't being ironic when calling the green dinosaur bad, then the whole thing is very very stupid.

Dinosaur Comics is an odd one to really appreciate the humor of it. It's pretty dry.

It is kind of a satire on altruism, so it seems. Dinosaur Comics rarely has much in the way of a real message, more just observations of sorts and T-Rex trying to figure stuff out. I think, in this case, he's merely pointing out the conflict between self interest and altruism and how letting someone in in traffic actually can be selfish, which by altruism's standard would make someone a bad person.

The author isn't exactly saying that it's actually bad, only observing the conflict (keep in mind T-Rex is usually confused, so him thinking he's a bad person for this may be a statement about it, but I wouldn't read TOO deeply into it).

Overall, it's a good comic, and I quite enjoy the strip (I follow it when it updates several times a week).

Dinosaur Comics is an odd one to really appreciate the humor of it. It's pretty dry.

It is kind of a satire on altruism, so it seems. Dinosaur Comics rarely has much in the way of a real message, more just observations of sorts and T-Rex trying to figure stuff out. I think, in this case, he's merely pointing out the conflict between self interest and altruism and how letting someone in in traffic actually can be selfish, which by altruism's standard would make someone a bad person.

The author isn't exactly saying that it's actually bad, only observing the conflict (keep in mind T-Rex is usually confused, so him thinking he's a bad person for this may be a statement about it, but I wouldn't read TOO deeply into it).

Overall, it's a good comic, and I quite enjoy the strip (I follow it when it updates several times a week).

He made some clever points, which I rarely see. He's doing the thinking required to point out how egoism leads to treating people with respect, while he is fulfilling his life. Where he says he is a bad person (dinosaur) only makes sense against the altruist premise that selfishness is bad, but it's a superficial veneer at that point.

In fact, it would be more interesting of there was another dinosaur who acted on altruistic premises, to see where that gets him and those around him. That would make for good contrast. Altruism at root leads to unkindness and brutality.

• 9 months later...

@Brian: and he misrepresents the "spiritual exchange" as a consciously decided trade, when Objectivism acknowledges love is a sort of payment, but it is automatic, not chosen. If someone represents your highest values, without any contradictions, love for that person is automatic, not deliberated. Excepting that a person is capable of repressing love, as any emotion, of course.

Not sure if any of you follow Dinosaur Comics, but today's comic touches on rational self-interest briefly, though doesn't come to the right assessment.

So close, yet so far.

I went to the site and started clicking on the random strips, and got hooked. The artist obviously understands philosophy, and has an eye for hypocrisy, and the dialogs are Socratic in form. I finally went to the archives and am working my way to the present.

Thanx Jesse,

<Φ>aj

Edited by aristotlejones