Objectivism Online Forum

What Is Your Occupation?

Rate this topic

BetTheFarm

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a full-time student of Economics, struggling against all the marxist indocrination. Believe me, it's everywhere, on every class. But I managed to find some Ludwig von Mises books lost in the library...

I'm also a full-time student of Econ as well as Chinese. Most Stanford students are either very capitalist or very marxist, and most all of the professors minus a few are capitalist due to the Hoover Institution and Friedman's strong ties to the school.

I'm on track to do investment banking for a few years after undergrad, then get my MBA maybe in Finance and work incredibly hard to eventually become a partner in a venture capital firm based in the USA but working in China. That's the game plan for now.

Currently I'm doing my Master's degree in Biotechnology and I also work part-time at an Argentinian Steakhouse as a waiter/bartender.

I'm not sure exactly what I want to do later (as in the really long-term) but when I finish my education I want to first work in the biotech industry for at the very least a number of years.

1) A painter.

2) I'm a student of biomedical engineering: I plan to be a brain researcher, wanna figure out how the brain works.

Problem: lately I've been starting to doubt my desire to have #2: See I always thought of myself as having two separate sides to my mind: an artistic side, and an analytical side. I like gaining knowledge in exact sciences and also to create art. Problem is: I like creating art more than I like being an engineer (which I am half way through), but I need the challenge of dealing with the sort of problems and knowledge that I am given here (at my school).

I approached the subject of the brain with tons of enthusiasm, and for me, going to lectures in that subject is better than a great movie: this subject thrills me because it teaches me about my own essence, my own nature, and brings me closer to understand the great riddle which is our consciousness. It's absolutely fascinating. But while this subject thrills me, it is still not thrilling enough to devote my whole life to it, or even most of it. I've never done any real brain research so perhaps I don't yet know what it feels like and how satisfying it can be. But I think that if I spend my free time reading philosophy instead of reading more info on new brain research, then perhaps this is not the career for me. It could be that other factors are involved in my lack of motivation in this field lately. Don't know really. If anyone has a good advice feel free to PM me, could use it, if it's good.

A third interest would be writing about psychology.

1) A painter.

2) I'm a student of biomedical engineering: I plan to be a brain researcher, wanna figure out how the brain works.

Problem: lately I've been starting to doubt my desire to have #2: See I always thought of myself as having two separate sides to my mind: an artistic side, and an analytical side. I like gaining knowledge in exact sciences and also to create art. Problem is: I like creating art more than I like being an engineer (which I am half way through), but I need the challenge of dealing with the sort of problems and knowledge that I am given here (at my school).

I approached the subject of the brain with tons of enthusiasm, and for me, going to lectures in that subject is better than a great movie: this subject thrills me because it teaches me about my own essence, my own nature, and brings me closer to understand the great riddle which is our consciousness. It's absolutely fascinating. But while this subject thrills me, it is still not thrilling enough to devote my whole life to it, or even most of it. I've never done any real brain research so perhaps I don't yet know what it feels like and how satisfying it can be. But I think that if I spend my free time reading philosophy instead of reading more info on new brain research, then perhaps this is not the career for me. It could be that other factors are involved in my lack of motivation in this field lately. Don't know really. If anyone has a good advice feel free to PM me, could use it, if it's good.

A third interest would be writing about psychology.

Ifatart, have you ever thought about medical illustration? If what you love is to create art, but you also love science, perhaps you can merge the two. That's what I have done in my career path (or a version thereof; I am a writer rather than an artist) -- I enjoy thinking about science and learning more about medicine in particular, but I don't enjoy actually doing lab work. Imagine my joy when I discovered that there is a whole industry dedicated to *writing* about medicine (medical education, medical advertising, and such), and that one need not be an M.D. to pursue a career in it. You might find a similar enjoyment in depicting the human body (and, at a more microscopic level, the medicines that can heal it).

And, to answer the original question, I am currently a pharmaceutical copywriter, and that's what I want to be for the foreseeable future (with some advances on the totem pole in salary and responsibilities, of course).

I forgot to post my other occupation...

I buy candy at costco for .35 a piece and sell it for a dollar at my high school. I make at least 30 bucks a week. I even have people working under me. I funded it to pay for my weekends so I can save all my paychecks. I'm such a capitalist!

I forgot to post my other occupation...

I buy candy at costco for .35 a piece and sell it for a dollar at my high school. I make at least 30 bucks a week. I even have people working under me. I funded it to pay for my weekends so I can save all my paychecks. I'm such a capitalist!

Is that the candy that comes in the boxes and says on top of it "Not for Retail?"

You're in good company, Kufa. Warren Buffett, one of the richest guys around, used to buy coke from the stands @ 25 cents for 6, and walk down to the beach selling it to people who didn't want to bother walking up to the stands. He sold them @ 5 cents each, keeping a 1 cent profit on each bottle.

• 1 month later...

Letter Carrier, Clerk, Supervisor, Data Collector Tech for the Postal Service in 28+ yrs.

Passport Acceptance Agent for the State Dept.

Uniflex Gym Owner/Trainer.

Software Developer for PalmOne Utilities.

Pencil Media Artist

No CPL as yet, may train weightlifters in HIT after Govt. Retirement.

1. What is your current job?

In order of what pays the most bills:

Full time 3rd level engineer at a major pharmaceutical company

Landlord

Entrepreneurial Manufacturer ( http://www.ergoslope.com )

3D Animation Artist ( http://www.matus1976.com/3d/3d_index.htm )

Non-fiction writer

2. What is it your goal to become? (if not the answer to #1).

In chronological order

Full time motorcycle designer, builder, manufacturer

(See my Akira Bike Project at http://www.matus1976.com/akira_bike/welcome.htm)

Inventor

Non-Fiction Writer

3D Animation artist

3. primary hobbies (added a 3rd)

Motorcycles, aviation, mechanical devices / mechanisms, material sciences, metal casting, composite construction, drawing, writing, acoustic guitar, traveling, working to save / change the world, dreaming.

I am surprised that there are not more objectivist inventors, in fact I have never met a single other one.

Edited by Matus1976

Talk to me after high school ;)

Same here...after I make enough money to start my own busineess! It will be something like sharper image but better. Actually, I am going to buy vending machines and start talking to local companies to see if I can get them put in. I am also going to start cleaning up jobsites for a decent sum. Candy buisness is good, I have been selling about fourty bars a day which amounts to roughly24 dollars a day for just being smart at buisness. I've got competitors now, though. I actually makes less money at work!