Objectivism Online Forum

My LTE in the Nashua Telegraph

Rate this topic

Nashua Telegraph

This is my first time i wrote a letter and am very happy that it made the print. The format of it, as you could tell, is loosely based on ARI's press releases. Anyone who likes it can give me a ninja smiley in their post. :)

'Free Choice Act' tied to faulty assumption

In Kenneth Ruby's Jan 4. letter (" 'Free Choice Act' protects workers"), he argues that the so-called Employee Free Choice Act is necessary in order to protect the rights of workers – the assumption being that the workers have full authority to make such decisions for the company.

But enforcing any such legislation is a violation of the employer's rights.

The function of any government should be to enforce work contracts. The terms and conditions for all contracts are set by both parties voluntarily.

If the terms are then violated, the employer could face legal action or the employee can get fired.

Contrary to the belief of most supporters of union laws, the only entity that can physically force people to act outside of their free will is the government, not "big corporations."

Vineet Barot

Nashua

Edited by The Guru Kid

Nashua Telegraph

This is my first time i wrote a letter and am very happy that it made the print. The format of it, as you could tell, is loosely based on ARI's press releases. Anyone who likes it can give me a ninja smiley in their post. :)

Congratulations, Vineet! That's a nicely crafted letter which gets to the essential issues in a short space. Plus I liked how you challenged the too-frequent conflation of physical force with "economic force".

I hope you keep writing.

And I heartily second Brian's suggestion to visit the OActivists page to see if you might be interested in joining.

• 2 months later...