Objectivism Online Forum

My family thinks I'm a ticking time-bomb

Rate this topic

If they push issues, ask them to turn the other cheek. :P

That would imply you attacked them once already.

Ask them to not be redundant in repetition to someone who's philosophy flaunts the saying of A being A. :lol:

If they bring up your lapse in faith, ask them politely to forgive you :thumbsup:

And that would imply accepted guild.

Instead complement them on taking up their profoundly personal responsibility of judging you.

Just use the bible against them, its always the best way

Use positive arguments instead of negative ones and drag them to your side instead of fighting on a battle ground of their choosing, its the best way.

Edited by FrolicsomeQuipster

That would imply you attacked them once already.

Ask them to not be redundant in repetition to someone who's philosophy flaunts the saying of A being A. :)

And that would imply accepted guild.

Instead complement them on taking up their profoundly personal responsibility of judging you.

Use positive arguments instead of negative ones and drag them to your side instead of fighting on a battle ground of their choosing, its the best way.

Hit them with some good 'ol "Judge not, lest ye be judged."

Always a favorite of mine to watch them stumble over.

Actually, the best thing to do is to stand up for what you believe. The question isnt "why dont you believe in God?" The question is "Why do they? You have to remember, you are a threat to them. Your rational approach is a constant challenge to their unthinking belief. It forces them to ponder the imponderable. Generally speaking, it is not your soul that believers are concerned with, it is their own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bluey, I think you're letting them have a hold on you, and it's making you unhappy.

I think that they should at *least* be willing to meet you halfway by not asking you to go to church, and not have religious discussions in your presence.

I know all this from experience: my father agreed to this when I was 12 years old, and he and his side of the family are still in my life (although the blessing over Christmas dinner is still a bit... odd to me, like I'm having dinner with some primitive tribe in some jungle or something - I hold hands with them and sit quietly while they finish their "magic chant"). My mother never accepted my total non-belief in the supernatural, and in fact has gone completely off the deep end into mystic beliefs (feng shue, crystals, pyramids, eastern religions, etc) - and therefore is no longer in my life. In my opinion her mind has "cracked," and being around her is just too depressing to deal with.

In PhilosophySpeak: Being around my father is a greater value, even though he's a Christian, than avoiding the Christmas dinner blessing and what little religion to which he exposes me. Being around my mother is not a greater value to me than avoiding all of her mysticism.

From your post, it's clear that your family still trying to influence your beliefs and get you into religion is effecting your happiness. Your time and your happiness are important! Don't give it away for anything that isn't a greater value.

Eric