Objectivism Online Forum

The Disintegration of the USA

Rate this topic

prosperity

1) If you make predictions within a short time-frame, yo'll live to see them ridiculed and yourself discredited.

2) A "Texas Republic" is more likely to take over Mexico than the other way around. The Texas National Guard alone is more than a match for the entire Mexican armed forces.

3) If people like this worked for the KGB, the fall of the USSR seems all the more clear.

LOL! Yeah, being formerly from Nebraska, I see no understanding in the idea that Nebraska would become part of Canada.

And who says we want it? Florida, or California maybe, after all, we've got enough cold flat places where no one wants to live. :lol::D

I could go along with his theory until I realized that Utah would be part of China and the hillbillies from Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and LA would be pert of Mexico. North Dakota becoming part of Canada? Sure. New york part of Europe? No doubt. Millions of Mormons learning chinese? That's a bit of stretch.

Regarding the professor's prediction:

That's just dumb. :lol:

It's not even a good dystopian plot. I mean, when Robert Heinlen balkanized North America for his alst novel, "Friday," he had the good sense not to say how it came about.

Now, if North Korea, Cuba or Iran were to get California, I'd say let it go. See how the limousine liberals like to live under their ideals.

I actually first encountered this guy and his prediction on 4chan of all places, to speak to the level of thinkers who give it much credence.

I think this guy has no knowledge of American history and the resulting panoply of culture which has resulted from it.

Even if the US did split apart I could never see Alaska going to Russia or Texas to Mexico. Now, parts of California to China, maybe...

Definitely wishful thinking. :lol:

I could go along with his theory until I realized that Utah would be part of China and the hillbillies from Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and LA would be pert of Mexico.

Yeah, seriously, they wouldn't let the Mexican government touch them. I could see them becoming a new Confederacy of some type though.

It's a huge stretch but I always imagined it would be easy for Texas to break away from the Union and make itself untouchable. All it would have to do is drive troops across the border to Louisiana and take over Barksdale Airforce Base. They'd get all the nukes located there and the B-52s needed to drop them anywhere they want.

Then it would become M.A.D. for America.

Also, Thomas Sowell made a similar prediction in that he said the polarization of issues in this country would lead to a bloody civil war eventually.

You need a lot before a nation goes into a civil war. More so for advanced nations with good standards of living. You need a lot of people to be or feel threatened by another part of the country, not necessarily a geographical part. Look at Russia, it took the disaster of WWI coupled with a dim ruler to get a civil war going. On the other hand look at South Africa. There was an oppressive minority class running things, widespread poverty, the country was an international pariah, there were insurgent groups, and despite all that the country never got into a civil war.

As far as America goes of course it could happen, but not under the present or likely future conditions.

I suppose if Obama were to turn a worse than average recession intot he Great Depression II, things could get bad. More so if his party really tired to silence the opposition through things like the "Fairness" Doctrine. Even then, and even though republicans are more likely to own guns, I doubt civil war would be anywhere near the likely solutions considered, much less near the top. I really can't think of a plausible scenario for a second USCW, much less one next year.

I'll see what I can come up with.

As far as America goes of course it could happen, but not under the present or likely future conditions.

I suppose if Obama were to turn a worse than average recession intot he Great Depression II, things could get bad.

Agreed. It would take a lot to make something happen. The Great Depression did not lead to any civil war. Plenty of people were feeding at the government trough, so they were happy and weren't necessarily motivated to rebel. Others saw themselves as the heroes to their own lives. They moved, started businesses, failed, tried again, shoveled sh*t, what ever. They were too busy continuing to keep moving, again, to consider rebelling.

Usually, those things require some kind so spark, and some people motivated to make it happen.