Objectivism Online Forum

Introductions around

Rate this topic

Hi there,

I am a 17 year old and am currently enrolled in my senior year of high school. I was actually pointed to Ayn by a friend of mine who claimed that the characters in AS reminded him of me (the only connection i could think of is that i never referred to what i'm going to do with my life as a wish or a want...). I plan on going to AnimationMentor.com, an online college for animation (big duh there). from there i plan on becoming an animator for either Pixar or Dreamworks, then, possibly, opening up my own studio, but i haven't decided on that just yet.

Out of all my friends who have read Fountainhead and Atlas, I believe I am the only one who would define themselves as an Objectivist. and I would only begin to define myself that way this week (though i've been slowly moving towards it)

so yeah, that's all.

Welcome!

It's important to know what you want to do and have a plan. So many people leave their parent's home with only vague ideas of what they want to achieve and how they'll get there. It's refreshing to see not everyone is so ill-defined.

If you're looking for a next step in Objectivism, I highly recommend Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Leonard Peikoff. (On the forum we just call it OPAR.) It gives you a rigorous overview of the entire philosophy in a very straightforward format. It is not a one-night or even a few-day read, at least for me, but is definitely worthwhile.

Please don't be afraid to ask questions as you go. Good to have you on the board!

Greetings from an Objectivist who is also an animator, although not professionally. I am in 3DSMax and Poser. Animation is a worthy art and certainly in demand. The most important skill is the ability to hold all the elements of human motion, posture, expression and emotion in your mind and recreate them for the purpose of your story.

Welcome to Objectivism.

John Donohue

Pasadena, CA