Objectivism Online Forum

Chris Langan

Rate this topic

Seanjos

What do you think of "the world's smartest person" ? There's a short on YouTube.

Clearly extremely bright but, a monster...

I heard Peikoff explaining Rand's definition of intelligence and why she didn't rate IQ tests. Can't remember though.

What do you think of "the world's smartest person" ? There's a short on YouTube.

Clearly extremely bright but, a monster...

I heard Peikoff explaining Rand's definition of intelligence and why she didn't rate IQ tests. Can't remember though.

"In conjunction with his ideas, Langan has claimed that "you can prove the existence of God, the soul and an afterlife, using mathematics."

I think IQ is not helpful when sense is lacking.

You can't prove anything using nothing but mathematics. You can disprove quite a few things( you could for instance disprove evolution, if it were a false theory, or you could disprove Creationism, if those people would actually have a theory) , but to prove the existence of something, you have to rely on direct observation. And there's no way an intelligent man doesn't realize that: sounds like this guy is just making an outrageous claim to bait the morons in the media, and have them feed his own ego.

As for his IQ, he is yet to put it to any use. And I think that's a good thing, because it doesn't sound like his contributions would bring anything positive to the world. He's like the Immanuel Kant of Creationism, hopefully without the ambition to actually create something of substance. Or maybe he doesn't even have any real ability, just an odd brain which can fool the IQ tests.

An IQ of 200 if nothing else is a demonstration of superior reasoning ability. Why hasn't he come to the same conclusions as us ? He must have heard of Ayn Rand.

Because he's too busy lying to himself. He has no desire to be rational, because that would mean first admitting that he was wrong. Listening to him in that video, he doesn't strike me as someone capable of that.

• 2 weeks later...
Because he's too busy lying to himself. He has no desire to be rational, because that would mean first admitting that he was wrong. Listening to him in that video, he doesn't strike me as someone capable of that.

Intelligence is not equivalent to rationality. Hell, Issac Newton was a Christian.

Edited by cliveandrews

• 2 weeks later...
You can't prove anything using nothing but mathematics. You can disprove quite a few things( you could for instance disprove evolution, if it were a false theory, or you could disprove Creationism, if those people would actually have a theory) , but to prove the existence of something, you have to rely on direct observation. And there's no way an intelligent man doesn't realize that: sounds like this guy is just making an outrageous claim to bait the morons in the media, and have them feed his own ego.

As for his IQ, he is yet to put it to any use. And I think that's a good thing, because it doesn't sound like his contributions would bring anything positive to the world. He's like the Immanuel Kant of Creationism, hopefully without the ambition to actually create something of substance. Or maybe he doesn't even have any real ability, just an odd brain which can fool the IQ tests.

His writing is about as difficult to read as Kant's, too. (Here is an article he wrote about his theory: http://www.ctmu.org/Articles/IntroCTMU.htm) Langan appears to be saying things that make sense, insofar as my education permits me to follow him. One physicist has said something to the effect that Langan's theory is rather impressive, though we need more expert opinions before drawing a conclusion, and the physicist's opinion does not tell us much about the philosophic parts of the theory.

Edited by ctrl y

Really? Can you provide a citation for that?

Newton was rigorously puritanical: when one of his few friends told him "a loose story about a nun", he ended their friendship (267). He is not known to have ever had a romantic relationship of any kind, and is believed to have died a virgin (159). Furthermore, he had no interest in literature or the arts, dismissing a famous collection of sculpture as "stone dolls" [581]. In short, Newton was a mathematical mystic, convinced that he shared a privileged relationship with God and obsessively devoted to finding how He had constructed the universe (205,285,510). He thought of himself as the sole inventor of the calculus, and hence the greatest mathematician since the ancients, and left behind a huge corpus of unpublished work, mostly alchemy and biblical exegesis, that he believed future generations would appreciate more than his own (199,511).

http://www.physics.wustl.edu/~alford/newton.html

Wow. What a strange world we live in.....

http://megafoundation.org/MegaPress/Titles/Anthem.html

Anthem is a fascinating book, and it's sci-fi-ish, so gifted kids probably love it. I think it is in the public domain, so plenty of people make it available with their own little spin on it.

I'm sure that if Langan had to ask for permission to do this, he would've never been given that permission, with his support for Intelligent Design and all.

He thought of himself as the sole inventor of the calculus, and hence the greatest mathematician since the ancients, and left behind a huge corpus of unpublished work, mostly alchemy and biblical exegesis, that he believed future generations would appreciate more than his own (199,511).

Interestingly enough, we couldn't care less. :)