Objectivism Online Forum

Bill Gates Unleashes Mosquitoes On Tech's Elite

Rate this topic

Gates pulled the surprise stunt Wednesday at the Technology, Entertainment, Design (TED) conference in Long Beach, Calif. His point: to drive home the message that mosquito-borne viruses, particularly malaria, are a continuing threat to people in the developing world despite the dawning of the 21st century.

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," said Gates, according to news service Agence France-Presse. "I brought some here. I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected," the Microsoft chairman told stunned observers, according to AFP.

What a jackass. If I turned up at a tech conference to talk business and some A-hole kept releasing Mosquitoes and talking about third world malaria I would be done with them.

Edited by Rearden_Steel

What a jackass. If I turned up at a tech conference to talk business and some A-hole kept releasing Mosquitoes and talking about third world malaria I would be done with them.

Jesus, I thought this was a joke when I heard about it. What a douche.

I would've thrown a plastic bottle or something in his direction, before I left. Or a nice cup of whatever drink I had in my hand in his face, just to show that two can play this game.

Actually, the most horrifying thing he said was:

"Malaria is spread by mosquitoes," said Gates, according to news service Agence France-Presse. "I brought some here. I'll let them roam around. There is no reason only poor people should be infected," the Microsoft chairman told stunned observers, according to AFP.

Poor people are infected by mosquitoes around the world because they don't have enough capitalism to civilize their neighborhoods -- and here is Bill Gates -- one time richest man in the world -- denigrating that which made it possible for him to become a billionaire.

I'm beginning to think more and more that if we ever do actually have an Atlas Shrugged type of strike that it is going to be very difficult for us to get the movers and shakers of the world to follow suit. Not because they are like Dagny, who wanted to hold out against the enemy, but because they are so seeped with altruism that they don't know enough to go on strike.

*** Mod's note: Merged with ongoing topic. - sN ***

From Dailymail.co.uk

Bill Gates released a swarm of mosquitoes in an attempt to raise awareness about the problem malaria poses to human life and happiness. Right on, Bill.

Unfortunately, he wants to help by spending millions to develop a malaria vaccine. My understanding is that we already have the solution to malaria: careful, measured use of DDT (it's environmental effects are negligible compared to its potential life-saving effects). Am I wrong? Is DDT really not as effective in sub-Saharan Africa as I was lead to believe?

Edited by softwareNerd

• 2 weeks later...

Too bad someone didn't go into anaphylactic shock. A big ambulance/hospital scene would've really topped things off. :(

(Of course, I don't wish a near death experience or death on anyone! Well, almost no one.)

At least he was only gunning for a malaria vaccine. Think about possibilities for other third-world country problems...

"People in Africa don't have adequate homes, so I hired a bunch of guys to wreck the shit out of your houses while you're here"

"People in Africa can't afford cars, so I'm gonna drive this monster truck over all your cars right now."

"People in Africa are starving, so I bought all the food in the tri-county area and buried it."

"People in Africa are experiencing genocide, so I'm gonna start shooting at you all with my AK"

"People in Africa have AIDS, so guess what I put in the punch you're drinking?"

The list can go on forever.

• 2 years later...