Objectivism Online Forum

On self-esteem

Rate this topic

ctrl y

Rand claimed that self-esteem results from the accomplishment of a goal ("Reason-Purpose-Self Esteem"). While that is true, it can't be the only source of self-esteem, because you must have self-esteem to attempt to achieve the goal in the first place. Even to do something so simple as cook a meal, I must believe that I can read the instructions, understand them, and carry them out effectively, and that belief implies that I have some self-esteem (albeit a very small amount) before I start the task. So a person can generate his own self-esteem, but only if he already has some. My point is that it seems that Rand's position requires some sort of injection of self-esteem from an external source, and I'm not sure how that sort of self-esteem injection could be accomplished given her view of human psychology. So I'm wondering if anyone is able to explain that.

Edited by ctrl y

At some point in the first year or so of life a child starts to realize the distinction between "me" and "the rest of the world". The child begins to interact with the "rest of the world", and realizes that he can alter it. He can shake his rattle to make a sound; he can squeeze the ducky to make it squeak. At this point he has no real self-esteem in the adult sense, and is just developing the notion of "self". Little by little -- from noises, to crawling, to standing, to walking, he learns and experiments and realizes that he is capable of doing all sorts of things. He is gathering the grist: the knowledge that he can do this, and this, and this, and this... and also this. This -- the knowledge that one is able to do stuff at one's choice -- is the kernel of self-esteem. In other words, after enough inductions, the child concludes "I can do stuff" as a general principle.

[As an aside, kids are given to hasty generalization, so they probably reach self-esteem faster than "warranted".]

Rand claimed that self-esteem results from the accomplishment of a goal ("Reason-Purpose-Self Esteem"). While that is true, it can't be the only source of self-esteem, because you must have self-esteem to attempt to achieve the goal in the first place.

I think SoftwareNerd gave an excellent reply. I just wrote a blog-post today about the connection between self esteem, confidence, ethical principles and motivation for action.

One part explains the relation between motivation and confidence. If you're interested: http://ifat-glassman.blogspot.com/

I agree with SoftwareNerd as well, and I think I should point out that you're equating the state of a child's mind with the state of an adult's mind, albeit probably unintentionally. Children don't start out pursuing goals in the way adults do because they're still in the stage of learning that goals exist. So, yes, by the time you are actually capable of formulating goals and the actions necessary to pursue them, you're going to have at least some sense of self-esteem.

I agree with SoftwareNerd as well, and I think I should point out that you're equating the state of a child's mind with the state of an adult's mind, albeit probably unintentionally. Children don't start out pursuing goals in the way adults do because they're still in the stage of learning that goals exist. So, yes, by the time you are actually capable of formulating goals and the actions necessary to pursue them, you're going to have at least some sense of self-esteem.

Yes this is right. And following this good post, i think that one needs to set realistic goals. Start small, accomplish what you set, and keep making bigger goals. Never give up after you started (even if can think of many reasons to do so), for if you develop this habit, the years will pass by and you'll wonder why you ended up not accomplishing anything important.

The more you realize your power to shape reality (by accomplishing smaller goals) the more you'll grow self esteem and the more you'll be able to accomplish. But i'll repeat, because this is most important: never give up after you've set your mind to accomplish something, no matter how many rationalizations your mind comes up with to make you quit and fall into your comfort zone again; consider it a fight for your life (which it ultimately is, because if you can't change your habit of failing to accomplish your goals you'll not be able to change reality to your wishes, thus impairing your ability to live with full happiness).

edit: i struggled with this issue for a long time, but Atlas Shrugged changed everything. But that is an issue for another post, or even topic...

Edited by Hank Reard3n

• 3 weeks later...

ctrl y,

From, "Objectivism, The Philosophy of Ayn Rand"...

Pg 307 Paragraph 3: "Judge yourself as good or evil, Ayn Rand concludes, hold yourself in esteem or contempt, by reference to a single criterion: your volitional use or misuse of your tool of survival"

Pg 308 Paragraph 2: "He must learn to duge himself not by his relation to others, or by his knowledge or existential success, but by his maintenance of a certain mental state, one that depends on nothing but his own will: the state of being in full focus."

If you aren't familiar with the state of being in full focus, Peikoff devotes a whole section to it in the chapter "Sense Perception and Volition".

Rob