Objectivism Online Forum

No Stimulus

Rate this topic

By Diana Hsieh from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

I just e-mailed my Colorado Senator Mark Udall the following message about the proposed "stimulus package":

Dear Senator Udall,

Please vote NO on the stimulus package. The economy doesn't need to be stimulated by government handouts and pork. Instead, congress and the president should:

• Cut the corporate tax rate. The US has one of the highest in the world; it damages our economy by enticing businesses to move overseas.

• Cut the personal income tax rate for everyone who actually pays taxes. Stop vilifying and punishing financial success. Stop discouraging people from using their own creativity, skills, and effort to succeed in business.

• Cut capital gains tax rate. It's unjust double taxation that distorts the market.

• Eliminate all tariffs and protectionism. Any barriers to trade hurt America.

• Massively cut government spending on welfare and health programs, eliminate corporate welfare, and eliminate the regulations that make doing business a mess of inane red tape.

Freedom -- not more government spending -- is the recipe for a speedy economic recovery.

Our other senator, Michael Bennett, does not list an e-mail address, so I called him instead, leaving a message saying basically what I said in the letter above. I'm also trying to call Senator Udall, but I'm on perpetual hold.

You can find contact information for your senator on Senate.gov. Please feel free to use my letter (or a modified version thereof) if you so choose. The most important thing is to write or call -- and just express your opposition to the stimulus package.

Update: I finally got through to a real person at Udall's office. I told her that I strongly opposed the stimulus plan -- and that I wanted to see tax cuts, not more government spending.88AShjT0Xb4OIz1eXrthS0

Cross-posted from Metablog

I don't think there is any chance of stopping a stimulus bill. The Republicans are not questioning whether there should be a stimulus bill or not. If you watch any of the major news outlets you see Republicans have already ceded that there needs to be a stimulus bill, their problem is that it just contains the Democrat's pet projects without including Republican pet projects. There is no fundamental opposition to the idea of a stimulus by government by anyone in Washington, the talking heads, or most of the public. Now with Obama co-opting the Bush administrations fear mongering over the coming catastrophe if government does not act, the sheeple will go along with it.

I don't think there is any chance of stopping a stimulus bill. The Republicans are not questioning whether there should be a stimulus bill or not. If you watch any of the major news outlets you see Republicans have already ceded that there needs to be a stimulus bill, ...
I believe you're right. The basic problems are intellectual and moral. Variants of Keynesianism mixed with some Monetarism are standard fare in universities around the world. So, a vast majority of economists and businessmen think that government can somehow create wealth by spending other people's money. On the moral side, a fair number of people who matter do realize that a huge change in government spending will create problems, but they're willing to go with that if it might mean alleviating some of their pain today. If it means grandpa's saving don't go as far when prices finally rise, they'll think about that later.

I think writing to Congress on this stimulus is far, far more important that writing on the earlier "TARP" bill.

Edited by softwareNerd

The Republicans are not questioning whether there should be a stimulus bill or not. If you watch any of the major news outlets you see Republicans have already ceded that there needs to be a stimulus bill, their problem is that it just contains the Democrat's pet projects without including Republican pet projects.
I know! That's the saddest part of this. Republicans are going to continue losing elections as long as they go about as half-baked Democrats. :worry:

I don't know if it will do any good or not, as I wanted my Senators to vote NO on the last stimulus, as did most Americans, but they passed it anyhow; but I did dash off a quick note using http://www.senate.gov to my Senators.

Dear Senator,

I am against the current stimulus bill before the Senate as I don't think it will help the economy. The best way to help the economy is to lower taxes and remove regulations stifling the economy. Greater freedom, rather than spending, will spur the economy on to recovery; whereas more government spending on top of our national debt will only make matters worse.

Please, do not stimulate the economy, but set it free of governmental interference.

Thank you,

Thomas M. Miovas, Jr.