Objectivism Online Forum

Late Show with Letterman, Bill Hicks edition

Rate this topic

Youtube obviously has CBS permission to leave this up, so I'll link to the whole relevant portion of that show:

Part 1: Introduction

Part 2: Mary Hicks Interview(uncomfortable, don't expect to bee entertained by this portion, unless you'd like to see Letterman grovel)

Part 3: Banned Bill Hicks set, from 16 years ago

First off, this controversy is the main reason why I never watched Letterman. I saw this set (a shorter version of it) and I decided that I'm not interested in what someone who would censor it had to offer.

I was wondering if there are other Hicks fans here, and if anyone knows the exact reason why Letterman decided to come out and apologize for banning Hicks from his show, and air this now. I heard something about Joy Behar (used to be a comic, now works on The View) saying something about it the week before. Plus, I don't buy Dave's apology, since he doesn't tell us the reason why he went to the extreme of banning someone so funny, who's been a frequent fixture on his show.

So, the side question is about what Joy Behar said, if anything, to prompt Letterman to do this (since I can't find it), but more importantly any opinions on Bill Hicks and the Letterman show are welcome.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

I've never heard of Bill Hicks, and Letterman's a Liberal boob, whom I never watch.

He died young, 15 years ago, but his jokes (and obvious copies of his bits) are everywhere. Comedy writers seem to just "borrow" dead people's material, and after a while people don't even know who wrote the joke or the bit, they just heard it someplace and repeat it. And then you watch an old tape of a guy you've never seen, and you find that you thought people who just used his jokes were brilliant writers. Or they didn't even do it justice, because they change it to not offend people.

He's probably the biggest influence on comedy in the 90's and 2000'. He didn't get too much air time (mainly because he attacked religion, and wasn't willing to compromise on that), so his humor was introduced to the network audiences, in slightly less offensive form, in silly sitcoms and second-hand comedy acts. Both in the US and in Britain.

Among stand up comedy lovers though he is considered a legend. I never talked to a real comedy fan who wouldn't mention his name on any list of comedy greats.

If you're bothered by comics who have very offensive or vulgar material, I don't recommend him, even though he is far superior to any such comic you may have heard (and he doesn't rely on profanity, as in haha I said the f word. He just says the word, because that's how he speaks).

However, if you don't mind let's say Pryor's act, or Sarah Silverman's stand up act, the Bill Hicks album to see is called Sane Man, from 1989.

P.S. My favorite Hicks line: "Rick Astley? Have you seen this banal incubus at work? Boy, if this guy isn't heralding Satan's imminent approach to Earth, huh."

Hicks always seemed overrated to me. He was funny sometimes. There is no doubting the guy's ability as a comedian, but I just don't think the material was all that great.

He's heads and shoulders better than most comedians nowadays, i.e blue collar comedy and Dane Cook.