Objectivism Online Forum

I have a blog!

Rate this topic

Ifat Glassman

To shortly illustrate the connection between the two (Psychology and Ethics), consider the two following things:

1. The purpose of ethics is happiness, and emotions come from subconscious ideas - therefore, to be happy a man MUST untangle and straighten out his subconscious ideas. (an idea I elaborate on in my post "Ethics and emotions - How to achieve happiness").

2. Psychological health requires application of the right principles to one's life. What are the right principles? Those discovered by the science of Ethics. So part of psychological therapy requires knowledge in Ethics, and how to apply it to one's life. (I have not yet written about this idea, but I plan to in the future).

http://ifat-glassman.blogspot.com/

Bookmarked.

But I think it would right to have a link back to OO.net on your site also.

I would only post a link to something I think is clear enough as a guide to Objectivism. OO.net is not that. It has, among the good things, a lot of bad thinking and misleading ideas.

It's a good place to practice your own thinking, after reading books and being familiar enough with Objectivism, but it is not a good place to study Objectivism. If you're studying Objectivism (like really, completely new to it) I think this is a good place to confuse the hell out of you.

Why do you think it would be right for me to put a link to OO.net?

I would only post a link to something I think is clear enough as a guide to Objectivism. OO.net is not that. It has, among the good things, a lot of bad thinking and misleading ideas.

It's a good place to practice your own thinking, after reading books and being familiar enough with Objectivism, but it is not a good place to study Objectivism. If you're studying Objectivism (like really, completely new to it) I think this is a good place to confuse the hell out of you.

Why do you think it would be right for me to put a link to OO.net?

Only because you post here, and if you updated your sig with a link to your new blog then there would be mutual links between the 2 sites. This would be good for google visibility and traffic building.

But you have a good point about potential confusion, which counts as a negative. Your call of course, and I can see either choice being valid depending on your goals.

Good stuff. You're in my reader. Look forward to reading your posts.

:thumbsup: Thanks.

Only because you post here, and if you updated your sig with a link to your new blog then there would be mutual links between the 2 sites. This would be good for google visibility and traffic building.

Oh, I see what you mean. Good idea, I think I'll update my profile though, not my signature. Thanks for the suggestion.

There is no direct connection from Psychology to Ethics Nor is the purpose of Ethics happiness

To explain.

I must first introduce the concept "irreducibl primary". This is a concept that is the foundation of a subject and the analysis of which is outside the scope of that subject.

The two irrecucible prinaries of philosophy are Metaphysicis (how does the world work?) and Epistemology (What does one know and how?). Ethics is how do I tell good from evel?

Now Ethics to be valid presumes Metaphysics and Epistemology. Good and evil are premised on the a priori existence of an external world. That we ought and therefore can make the distinction requires that we have that ability.

Now Metaphysics is gotten at by "summing over' the sciences and seeing a common theme to it all. Epistemology pertains to knowledge or, the mental functions. This is gotten at via psychology.

It stands to reason, therefore, that the link from psychology to philosophy is through Epistemology.

It is true, as you say, that one's life is made better by introducing the right principles. This is, howver, an active process that requires mental effort to answer the questions.

What makes the "right Principles" right? That means in relation to the objective world

How do I find out what these are?

Also, Ethics refers to behavior. You may not be able to act on the principle that would be in and of itself, most proper, as there may be external factors that prevent it. So you may have to opt for the second, third or fourth best actions. While in metaphysical terms your choice would not be as good as the absolute best, ethically. it would be, since it was the only one open to you to do freely or with minimally bad consequences.

Edited by Space Patroller