Objectivism Online Forum

Inglorious Bastards

Rate this topic

TheEgoist

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I honestly don't understand what the appeal of Quentin Tarantino is. His big hit Pulp Fiction is nothing more than the glorification of immoral people, but it is apparently a "classic" (gag me with something already), and every movie I've seen of his so far has failed to inspire anything in me other than weariness and a sort of exhaustion after spending two or so hours in the company of thugs, brutes and criminals.

Edited by kainscalia

i have to say, praising this film is morally reprehensable

it was 2 and a half hours of sadism and i could hardly imagine a film that clashes more with the aesthetic values of Objectivism

What did you pay 10 bucks expecting? Did you not watch the previews? Did you not see the director's name?

I honestly don't understand what the appeal of Quentin Tarantino is. His big hit Pulp Fiction is nothing more than the glorification of immoral people, but it is apparently a "classic" (gag me with something already), and every movie I've seen of his so far has failed to inspire anything in me than weariness and a sort of exhaustion after spending two or so hours in the company of thugs, brutes and criminals.

Thank you for saying it. I, for one, agree. Can we get a third, fourth.........?

It could be expounded on further, but why bother?

While Quentin Tarantino is a very talented director, I wish he would stay away from WWII. His movies don't tend to be uplifting.

War isn't very uplifting either, it could be a perfect fit. Seeing it tonight.

Awesome revenge fantasy. Justice is a value, and justice is done. Poetically.

Its just the first day of release, I won't talk about it too much for now.

It has lots of references and homages to other films. If this was a book it would be called "literary". I rank it with "Up" for best of the year.

Edited by Grames

I thought the movie was hilarious. The acting was great and the characters were memorable. I really don't think you can say the movie completely clashes with Objectivist values when one of the main characters makes sure that evil is punished.

Plus, I don't think that you are supposed to just think that all the gore he uses is cool. You kind of just laugh at it because he makes it into a joke scenario.

The part where "The Bear Jew" beats down the Nazi with a bat was certainly a joke. I don't even see how one could be against that anyways. The "take no prisoners attitude" is certainly how the US should be addressing war at the moment. Evil should be punished, and that is what all the gore was based around.

What did you pay 10 bucks expecting? Did you not watch the previews? Did you not see the director's name?

No, I didn't watch any previews because I find they often give too much away and spoil the film, and also because I hold some of his other work in very high regard. Previous work has been violent but not sadistic. Often the treatment of violence was not graphic at all but quite profound.

I was hoping this film would turn out a bit like Catch-22 - a witty, dialogue-driven satire that was an intelligent take on WW2. I read the first scene when the script leaked onto the internet a year or two ago and was impressed enough. Turns out the only reason he set it in WW2 (and wrote that opening scene) was so he could find human subjects universally loathed enough to be the victims of sadism for mass entertainment.

I thought the movie was hilarious. The acting was great and the characters were memorable. I really don't think you can say the movie completely clashes with Objectivist values when one of the main characters makes sure that evil is punished.

Plus, I don't think that you are supposed to just think that all the gore he uses is cool. You kind of just laugh at it because he makes it into a joke scenario.

The part where "The Bear Jew" beats down the Nazi with a bat was certainly a joke. I don't even see how one could be against that anyways. The "take no prisoners attitude" is certainly how the US should be addressing war at the moment. Evil should be punished, and that is what all the gore was based around.

Objectivist aesthetic values are not exactly the same thing as just the standard Objectivist values. For comparison, imagine if at the end of AS Dagny had ordered the soldier posted at the door to be restrained so she could torture him to death, rather than just shooting him. Why would Rand write something like this; why would we enjoy reading it?

i have to say, praising this film is morally reprehensable

it was 2 and a half hours of sadism and i could hardly imagine a film that clashes more with the aesthetic values of Objectivism

I think you completely missed the humor in the movie, and misunderstood the purpose of the violence. It certainly was not an expression of sadism, any more than my grandma knitting me a sweater for Christmas is an expression of sadism.

I honestly don't understand what the appeal of Quentin Tarantino is.

He is a talented filmmaker, who uses subtle violence to great dramatic and comedic effect. His choice of music is also mind blowing, as is ability to write fascinating dialog about everyday subjects.

His ability to weave subtle, dark comedy into an otherwise plot-driven movie is matched by no one.

No one was ever tortured outside of the cutting the swastika and the fairly short baseball-batting. They did not take their time killing they just did it quickly and effectively and at times to send a message. And despite your opinions on it, large amounts of violence are a common theme of satire. Satirists often use large amounts of violence to brutalize those who they think are wrong or deserve to be ridiculed. In this way the nazi's are in a sense punished for their crimes.

Though the violence was somewhat graphic I would not say it was sadistic. The closest to it was the baseball bat scene but after that it was either war crimes perpetrated by the Germans or relatively quick deaths of the Germans by the Basterds or some other resistance.

Nah, Nazism was about power, as are all dictatorships and statist governments. To have power over people you have to untie them in one idea and one easy way to do that is hate, especially if that hate is aimed at something that supposedly is the source of all their woes. Revenge may have been a tool to get to power but that was about the extent of it.

Agreed. Power. Most "ism's" are about power away from the individual, except real capitalism. Revenge is just a way to generate blame to gain the power. See Rules for Radicals.

Edited by SD26