Objectivism Online Forum

How do Chrisitans pray?

Rate this topic

D'kian

I'm serious. I was brought up Jewish and know very little about Christianity (and thank God for that!).

I want to include a small scene where the villains conduct prayer services. Briefly, the bad guys keep conquered people donw by forcing collectivism and primitivism on them (a slave revolt with axes and swords doesn't stand much of a chance against energy weapons and impact armor). They do this by means of religion, therefore the prayer scene.

I know what I want their religion to preach and how. But it hit me that, perhaps, I could use a real prayer that my readers would recognize, and which would fit my purpose (self-abasement). Seeing that I aim at the US market mostly, that means Christianity (besides the Jewish prayers I recall don't quite fit).

Any pointers on where I could find such things, preferably online?

Thanks in advance.

There's the Lord's Prayer.

Our Father, who art in heaven,

Hallowed be thy Name.

Thy kingdom come.

Thy will be done,

On earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses,

As we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation,

But deliver us from evil.

[For thine is the kingdom,

and the power, and the glory,

for ever and ever.

Amen.]

I believe this is a prayer, but it could just be a popular poem. My mother said she prayed it before she went to bed as a little girl.

Now I lay me down to sleep,

I pray the Lord my soul to keep.

If I should die before I wake,

I pray the Lord my soul to take.

I'm serious. I was brought up Jewish and know very little about Christianity (and thank God for that!).

I want to include a small scene where the villains conduct prayer services. Briefly, the bad guys keep conquered people donw by forcing collectivism and primitivism on them (a slave revolt with axes and swords doesn't stand much of a chance against energy weapons and impact armor). They do this by means of religion, therefore the prayer scene.

I know what I want their religion to preach and how. But it hit me that, perhaps, I could use a real prayer that my readers would recognize, and which would fit my purpose (self-abasement). Seeing that I aim at the US market mostly, that means Christianity (besides the Jewish prayers I recall don't quite fit).

Thanks in advance.

I was grown to be a Christian. I will help you:

Our Father, which is in heaven,

Let Be holy Your name,

Let Your kingdom come,

Let your will be

In the Earth as in the heaven.

Give us our daily bread today

And forgive us our sins,

Just like we forgive us to our sinners.

And do not allow us to be seduced,

But save us from the evil. Amen

I believe in the almighty God,

Creator of Heaven and Earth;

And to Jesus Christ,

His direct son, our Lord,

Which started from the holy spirit,

Was born from Virgin Mary,

Suffered near Poncius Pilot,

Was nailed to the cross,

Died and buried;

Went to Hells;

In the third day, resurrected himself;

And stepped into heaven,

Is sitting in the right of the Almighty God,

From there he will come to judge the dead and the living ones.

I believe in Holy Spirit,

Holy global church,

Interacting of the saints,

Forgiveness of sins,

Body's resurrection from the death

And the eternal life.

In Lithuania, those to are the most popular ones.

Edited by Juxtys

I was grown to be a Christian. I will help you:

Our Father, which is in heaven,

Let Be holy Your name,

Let Your kingdom come,

Let your will be

In the Earth as in the heaven.

Give us our daily bread today

And forgive us our sins,

Just like we forgive us to our sinners.

And do not allow us to be seduced,

But save us from the evil. Amen

I believe in the almighty God,

Creator of Heaven and Earth;

And to Jesus Christ,

His direct son, our Lord,

Which started from the holy spirit,

Was born from Virgin Mary,

Suffered near Poncius Pilot,

Was nailed to the cross,

Died and buried;

Went to Hells;

In the third day, resurrected himself;

And stepped into heaven,

Is sitting in the right of the Almighty God,

From there he will come to judge the dead and the living ones.

I believe in Holy Spirit,

Holy global church,

Interacting of the saints,

Forgiveness of sins,

Body's resurrection from the death

And the eternal life.

In Lithuania, those to are the most popular ones.

Here is a popular one in America

God Is Great, God Is Good, Let Us Think Him For Our Food, I forgot the rest.

Edited by dadmonson

Thanks in advance.

Evangelical Christians (and as far as I know, most other Protestant Christians) don't use scripted prayers because they believe in prayer as a conversation with God, not as some sort of chant or ritual. Instead they make up original run-on sentences and try to sound as much like whining children as possible.

I guess my point is that if you're aiming at something an American Christian audience would recognize, you might want to go for a hymn rather than a prayer (check into the lyrics for "Onward Christian Soldiers" or "Nothing but the Blood", for examples that might fit your storyline) Catholics and others do use formal prayers though so you could go with that as well depending on the effect you're going for.

If you can stomach it, find a protestant church somewhere (possibly tricky in Mexico) and attend once or twice. I know you'll have no trouble with a Catholic church. They generally don't mind outsiders, because they hope to change that status.

The things people will do researching a book.

Here is an important dynamic:

Christians are taught that the most powerful prayer is "God, thy will be done." Kant would approve of this because it is absent inclination. That is, as long as you are suitably detached from caring if God's will be done!

In practice, I'd say that is not usually the case; Christians pray for a certain outcome, specifically. "God, give me a child, god make my boyfriend love me, God, save me from car accidents" etc.

By the way, Aristotle was put on trial (and thus driven out of Athens) on the charge that he taught "Prayer does not work." [Will Durant]

John Donohue

First, pick a version of Christianity. Catholics have pre-specified prayers, Protestants have fewer ranging to none (the more evangelical do not). Evangelical prayer requires eye-closing and hands up in the air (also it's all chatty extemporaneous), Presbyterians of my acquaintance have the decency to be quiet and private. No wailing-wall bobbing allowed for any Christian. Also, none of this kind of prayer.

Many thanks for all the replies.

In Jewish services there are prayer books. Someone, usually a rabbi but any man over 13 years qualifies, leads the congregation in prayer. In formal services there is also a cantor who leads such prayers as are sung (I don't understand the need, either). I sort of assumed Christian rites would be similar.

I can still make it work, without having to endure a church service (I wouldn't go that far researching a book).

I'm not very familiar with prayer, but if I was reading about people praying I would want to know what is going on inside the minds of the faithful,

My mom cries at sermons sometimes and she isn't even that religious.

I will say that they experience a wave of emotion(obviously) and that the prayer is only part of it. The context is the bigger trigger of those people crying and running around. If you're at a potentially emotionally charged event (wedding, funeral, etc..) the emotion is already there being held in.

But if someone (who has a strong connection to the person/people/event such as a Pastor/relative /friend) get up and say something touching it ups the emotion even more and if they say the right things, they'll set someone off.

So it's not the prayer, but what the prayer means to that situation or what the prayer signals is about to happen.

Edited by dadmonson

There are some Catholic prayer affectations you may want to include. "Charismatic" Catholics will stand with their arms raised and outstretched, hands at face level with palms turned upward and fingers slightly spread while reciting the Lord's Prayer. Traditional Catholics will always kneel before a crucifix, head bowed and hands pressed together in the familiar prayer way. During Holy Week Mass services, there are parts where the priest will prostrate (not prostate, lol) himself, basically kneeling with head deeply bowed or even laying face down before the altar and chanting traditional prayers. The so-called Blessed Sacrament (the unleavened bread representing the Body of Christ, generally in some type of ornate gold, silver or brass pedestal vessel) is usually out on display on the altar at the foot of the cross for this type of ceremony.

Incense is often burned in a metal lantern-like vessel on the end of a chain, the priest will swing the vessel back and forth in the air above and to either side of blessed objects, dispersing the incense smoke in the area. Also, there are anointing ceremonies where the priest will fill a vessel (that looks rather like a large pepper grinder) with holy water. Using a sort of a whip-cracking movement, he uses this vessel to fling drops of holy water upon the congregation, who then make the sign of the cross as the drops of water touch them.

I wasn't brought up a Christian, but I did attend a Christian high school. One of the things you do after you recite the Lords prayer is cross yourself and say "Father, Son, Holy Ghost."

You do it by touching your forehead with your right hand (although maybe left is okay too) and saying "Father", and then you touch below your heart and say "Son", and then you touch the left hand side of your chest and move across to the right hand side of your chest and say "Ghost". This makes a cross.

Praying is like begging ... Lord, I beseech you, blessedness be upon us. Keep us safe. I mean, you can say almost anything when you talk to your imaginary friend in the sky.

Honestly, sometimes I think prayer is more like a personal pep talk with oneself, although I realize this isn't the basic idea.

I was raised Baptist. We were taught to have casual conversations with the creator of all existence. If that doesn't speak volumes...

What's wrong with that? I often speak with the electrostrong/electroweak forces while waiting for the coffee to percolate. :)

In the Congregational (form of Protestant) church I was brought up attending, prayer took several different forms. There were always hymns; we always recited the Lord's Prayer, along with a couple very short sung prayers; there was always a moment of private prayer, where the congregation would bow their heads and pray silently; there was a prayer led by the minister, in which the minister would say a sentence or two and then the crowd would murmur 'Glory to the Father' or something affirming whatever the minister said (this prayer changed every time, and the words were printed in the brochure so you would know what to say.) When praying, one was supposed to bow one's head, and either keep your hands folded in your lap or clasped under your chin.

There are so many different ways of praying that it honestly doesn't matter how your characters pray, as long as it's true to your characters. However, if you want something truly recognizable to a large group of people, the Lord's Prayer is your best bet - but even there many churches change the words around somewhat. This is the version used at my church.

Lord's Prayer

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sin against us. For Thine is the Kingdom, and the Power, and the Glory forever. Amen.

Gloria Patri - we sung this one

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Doxology - we sung this too

Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Him all creatures here below; Praise Him above ye heavenly host; Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. Amen.

I can still make it work, without having to endure a church service (I wouldn't go that far researching a book).

If you're serious about your book then I think that you shouldn't just accept what you've been told here but rather you must go to a church or several churches and see for yourself. If you don't do that I think you risk having your scenes involving prayer come off as written by someone who doesn't know what he's writing about.

John Link

• 1 month later...
Here is a popular one in America

God Is Great, God Is Good, Let Us Think Him For Our Food, I forgot the rest.

The rest is:

By his hands we all are fed,

give us, Lord, our daily bread.

I too lol'd at the Muslim Rave, and I think I'll probably have aftershock laughter periodically throughout the day. :)