Objectivism Online Forum

Book Of Job?

Rate this topic

Dillinger Escapes

Has anyone read or heard of The Book of Job? A friend of mine reading it for college said it's a grand bible justification for why things happen. I was wondering if it'd be worth to look into so i would be able to discuss my viewpoint on it with him. Any thoughts I welcome.

You mean the "Book of Job" in the bible?

Where God kills everyone of Job's family members and destroys his farms that he worked hard for and slaughtered all of his cattle and then gave him painful boils on his body (even though he was a devout follower of the 'Lord')?

That book of Job?

or am I missing something?

Because if thats the book you are speaking of then I don't think you'll find much help on this website.

Or perhaps you're asking about this:

'Book of Job' by Stephen Mitchell

Either way, they both try to rationalize a strict God who will destroy every part of your life to 'strengthen your faith' for him.

Great guy!

~Michael

Has anyone read or heard of The Book of Job? A friend of mine reading it for college said it's a grand bible justification for why things happen. I was wondering if it'd be worth to look into so i would be able to discuss my viewpoint on it with him. Any thoughts I welcome.

If you're tallking about the Heinlen book, I found it quite funny. Basically a VERY religious fellow keeps falling through time and space, falls in love, and gets screwed over by God. He finds out he's a pawn in a deist game and has to question his faith. Multiple gods make appearances and it helps to have a good feel for US history.

I read it about 10 years ago and remember laughing quite a bit. Pretty much a dig at dogmatic religious beliefs and burecracy. Think Stranger in a Strange Land meets A Pen Warmed up in Hell.

All I got from reading it was immoral punishment and the worship of your punishers for they supposely know better than you.

That was just it. Alec (?) was a minister and was constantly getting punished and jerked around by his master because he never questioned his faith or relied on logic.