Objectivism Online Forum

Wall Street

Rate this topic

watched this last night with my roomate, also an objectivist. And what a good movie it is. First time i noticed one of the older guys at Bud's employer mention how Roosevelt messed things up, and how it was a huge mistake for Nixon to take us off the gold standard.

Also, Bud Fox's father angered me. I think that's typical of most role's that Martin Sheen plays....

watched this last night with my roomate, also an objectivist. And what a good movie it is. First time i noticed one of the older guys at Bud's employer mention how Roosevelt messed things up, and how it was a huge mistake for Nixon to take us off the gold standard.

Also, Bud Fox's father angered me. I think that's typical of most role's that Martin Sheen plays....

I would say that you are focusing on trivial dialog. The movie (directed by Capitalism hating, Communist loving Oliver Stone) clearly depicts Wall Street as an instrument of explolitation and theft and capitalism as heartless and evil. This movie, no matter how well acted, is one of the most anti-capitalistic movies ever made.

I don't see how it could ever be considered a pro free-market movie. It contains every anti-capitalist stereo-type you can think of. Its a disgrace. A better Finance movie would be 'Other People's Money'. At least there the take over artist is not depicted as a parasite and Dany Devito's speech at the end is pretty damn good.

First time i noticed one of the older guys at Bud's employer mention how Roosevelt messed things up, and how it was a huge mistake for Nixon to take us off the gold standard.

Something else. I remember that scene. I think the actor's name who played that role is Hal Holbrook. I think Stone threw in that character and that dialog as a caraciture of the free market; ie like saying "see this is how these self deceptive fools defend themselves." The rest of the movie then goes on to show what "capitalists are really like"; ie Gecko and the infamous "Greed is Good" speech (which only a cold hearted capitalist could make in Stone's view).

The more I think of that film, the more I recognize how vicious it is.

Exactly, the god is good speech sounds good all alone but when you connect it to what happens to Gecko, then you know that the speech is ammunition for condemnation of the making of money. That's the theme: a man who believes that being a better investor than his fellows is a good thing, will be punished.

Ha Ha!

Americo.

A M. Douglas film I liked was the one with Ashton Kutcher's girlfriend where she maliciously accuses her boss of sexual harrasment.

I have seen the game. Talk about entrepreneurship! (regarding the man who developed The Game).

About Wall Street.... I still think it's a good movie because I look at Gecko and I see a man who came from nothing and created endless amounts of wealth. Granted, Stone, the idiot that he is, tries to play up that making money is a bad thing. But you know, the British guy (who's name I'm forgetting) was also the same way. I also recall watching the last scene where they (gecko and fox) meet in the field on the rainy day, and (SPOILERS) it didn't seem like what gecko said could have corned himself against the law. Even though, did not Fox sign that Privilege contract anyways? Philosophically speaking, i admire Gecko. Hand's down. Gecko qua Gecko. The grand theme was absurd and backwards. But this Gecko character made the movie enjoyable, for me at least. I do understand your disapproval with the movie, however....

First of all I just noticed that I called "Greed" "God" in my post.

The movie name I can't remember. But it's Douglas and Demi Moore.

Yes, I saw parts of The Game on television. I remember enjoying it. I remember that it was intense.

And about Douglas in Wall Street, yah he was awesome. He won the Oscar for that didn't he?

Americo.