Objectivism Online Forum

Rick Santelli's Floor Speech

Rate this topic

I left my comment of approval. Rush Limbaugh was all over this today and he plugged AS, yet again. I know he's a mixed bag, but if there are others out there like I was and this gets them to read AS, we'll have more troops on our side very soon!

I guess one good thing about this current spree of statism is that it gets lots of publicity for Ayn Rand. Perhaps this time they won't get away with blaming the crisis on capitalism, like they did 70 years ago.

Haven't they already? :(

Interesting how the reporters initial response is confused horror then by the end they treat him like gimmicky entertainment.

A little bit of outrage is extremely overdue and heartening.

Edit: Also

where he refers to himself a an "Ayn Rand-er", lol. Gets into a bit of a shouting match with the commenter. Edited by IchorFigure

Interesting how the reporters initial response is confused horror then by the end they treat him like gimmicky entertainment.

As someone who has listened to CNBC for the last two years every (trading) day, this comment is unfounded. Santelli goes off like this almost daily. He has been the reporter from Chicago markets for years. All the anchors (Becky Quick, Joe Kernan, and Carl Quintanilla) that are in this video have also been working at CNBC for years. Kernan is a big-time Republican and openly argues his views with guests all the time. All these anchors know who Santelli is, his political and economic opinions, and his style of reporting. I can assure you, none of them were "confused" or "horrified" by Rick's comments.

Edited by adrock3215

As someone who has listened to CNBC for the last two years every (trading) day, this comment is unfounded. Santelli goes off like this almost daily. He has been the reporter from Chicago markets for years. All the anchors (Becky Quick, Joe Kernan, and Carl Quintanilla) that are in this video have also been working at CNBC for years. Kernan is a big-time Republican and openly argues his views with guests all the time. All these anchors know who Santelli is, his political and economic opinions, and his style of reporting. I can assure you, none of them were "confused" or "horrified" by Rick's comments.

I watch CNBC every day also, and all three of those show hosts are statists to the core, like any Republican. They simply argue about how much regulation there should be, or how much stimulus there should be. None of them are capitalists --- except Rick Santelli. He's the only one worth listening to on that network.

I've submitted feedback. Everyone else should too. Here's mine:

Right on, Rick! Santelli has made explicit the injustice of these bailouts. Everyone has the right to set the terms of their agreements, and the government is supposed to *bind* those contracts, *not* force people to accept new, self-detrimental contracts! That is the antithesis of proper government function.

Obama says selfishness isn't virtuous. Apparently, he hasn't read "The Virtue of Selfishness" by Ayn Rand.

I couldn't resist the Rand reference, especially after he calls himself a "Rand-er". :P

Edited by brian0918

This morning, the CNBC anchors are commenting that they got a lot of positive feedback on Santelli's outburst.

It is interesting how these things work. Santelli had been just as blunt many times in the past. The only difference this time was that the traders standing around him started to cheer. I guess the main explanation for the level of feedback is that Drudge carried him, first as a "redlined masthead", and then as a regular headline.

One way or the other, it makes for good TV and Santelli will get more face-time as a result.

Well I think you're right. I'm not familiar with the show. Saying they're like "putty in [his] hands" and "this is like mob rule" just struck me as incredibly snide of them. He's got similar rants strung out across youtube though, so he must be a regular.

CNN just played a snippet from a White House press briefing, where the President's spokesman said (paraphrasing) that people who rant on cable television -- for example Mr. Santelli -- often don't know what they are talking about.

How stupid for the White house to talk about it, encouraging CNN would play the Santelli snippet to set the context!

Here's a link to Chris Matthews interviewing Santelli on "Hardball":

http://tinyurl.com/dco9r7

Santelli characterizes the redistribution of wealth required by the "stimulus" as "a philosophical issue" -- that's something rarely said in the media. He seems to falter a bit when Matthews pushes him to come up with a solution off the top of his head (someday I'd love to see the boilerplate appeal to altruism unapologetically thrown back at the interviewer), but overall, I think he handled the interview well.

Santelli characterizes the redistribution of wealth required by the "stimulus" as "a philosophical issue" -- that's something rarely said in the media. He seems to falter a bit when Matthews pushes him to come up with a solution off the top of his head (someday I'd love to see the boilerplate appeal to altruism unapologetically thrown back at the interviewer), but overall, I think he handled the interview well.

I thought Chris Matthews was awful. He slandered Santelli and kowtowed to the administration.

He seems to falter a bit? The solution he comes up with is "jobless claim benefits" and "a way to securitize to the public a portion of their house, or a portion of their bill". Santelli makes a lot of good points, but he's no hero.

As for Chris Matthews, I was especially angered by his refusal to accept that *both* the person who bought a house they couldn't afford *and* the person who (often fraudulently) sold them the mortgage they couldn't pay back, are morally responsible for the ensuing default. Of course, that doesn't get to the heart of why these people were able to affect the lives of the innocent victims who neither bought a house they couldn't afford nor gave a mortgage to someone who couldn't afford to pay it back. I believe the responsibility for that lies in collectivist government interventions. But that's not an argument I can make in the space of a single forum post.

The Santelli speech made in on Fox News Sunday show as well. Why is what he said (which really isnt that big of a deal) getting so much attention? For the same reason that Joe the Plumber did. They both had the nerve to point out the elephant in the room. Were there a legitimate, principled republican opposition in place, such statements of outrage would not have to be left to cable news analysts and some guy good with a pipe wrench. Will some republican somewhere please stand up!

Rich Galen, who is a conservative political commentator (he was also Fred Thompson's Press Secretary) occasionally seen on Fox or MSNBC wrote a column about the Santelli rant and he ties the whole thing in with Rand and Atlas Shrugged. You can read it here: http://www.mullings.com/

Also take a look at Galen's "Secret Decoder Ring", where he post Rand's bio from ARI and a couple of paragraphs about the question, "Who is John Galt?"

http://www.mullings.com/dr_02-23-09.htm

Apparently the "Chicago Tea Party" he alluded to is an actual event planned for the 27th and not a joke.

http://www.nationwidechicagoteaparty.com/

http://officialchicagoteaparty.com/

Oh yes, there are "tea parties" forming all over America. Whether it is enough remains to be seen.