Objectivism Online Forum

Political Cartoon Stirs Outrage

Rate this topic

K-Mac

From this news story :

chimpgoesapeobamacr2.jpg

I think it's funny how everyone is freaking out about this, even though Obama did not write the "stimulus" bill and no one cared when Bush was portrayed (repeatedly) as a monkey. Frankly, I think the cartoon is hilarious. If anything, it's an insult to chimpanzees to be compared to politicians. Where's PETA when you need 'em?

LOL!

Thanks Kelly, I needed that, especially after the love in we had up here on Parliament Hill for the arrival of the messiah. :(

Sometimes I think this country elected him, not yours. A recent poll said 80% of Canadians approve of Obama, I wonder just how many of those have been paying attention to his actual programs. :(

Yes, they are. The outrage appears to be over both racism and the attack itself...but apparently more so for the racial overtones (which again, are inaccurate.) I agree, if anything, the offense should be taken in the fact that a woman is in critical condition due to the situation.

A New York Post cartoon that some have interpreted as comparing President Barack Obama to a violent chimpanzee gunned down by police drew outrage from civil rights leaders and elected officials who said it echoed racist stereotypes of blacks as monkeys.

and

Some critics called the cartoon racist and said it trivialized a tragedy in which a woman was disfigured and a chimpanzee killed. Others said the cartoon suggests that Obama should be assassinated. Many urged a boycott of the Post and the companies that advertise in it.

"How could the Post let this cartoon pass as satire?" said Barbara Ciara, president of the National Association of Black Journalists. "To compare the nation's first African-American commander in chief to a dead chimpanzee is nothing short of racist drivel."

State Sen. Eric Adams called it a "throwback to the days" when black men were lynched.

The Rev. Al Sharpton called the cartoon "troubling at best given the historic racist attacks of African-Americans as being synonymous with monkeys."

I just love how liberals forget that Pelosi and Obama are different people in their hurry to get offended and play the race card. I'm willing to bet a decent amount of people outraged by this cartoon are the same ones who did things like compare Bush to Hitler.

I just love how liberals forget that Pelosi and Obama are different people in their hurry to get offended and play the race card. I'm willing to bet a decent amount of people outraged by this cartoon are the same ones who did things like compare Bush to Hitler.

You're right that liberals operate on a double standard. Bush was continually compared to a chimp. However, Obama is as much responsible for the bill as Congress. He shouldn’t escape criticism.

The cartoon is funny because they're all a bunch of complete buffoons and so they are being shown for what they are. But the real point here is that this is a serious issue. These people are destroying our wealth and liberties in bite sized chunks. Congress is populated with vile people and it is we who should be outraged with them. All of the "offended" parties, right back at yah, baby!

Edited by Thales

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

An interesting follow up article. Evidently, Obama needs special treatment since he's the first black President. Funny how people who say they only want equal rights always end up with special rights. :dough:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

An interesting follow up article. Evidently, Obama needs special treatment since he's the first black President. Funny how people who say they only want equal rights always end up with special rights. :dough:

Equal rights don't mean that everyone has the same rights. It means that everyone has the right to be equal. :dough:

EDIT: Quoting edit.

Edited by NickS