Objectivism Online Forum

Fraud alert: Eurway refuses to honor warranty.

Rate this topic

By David from Truth, Justice, and the American Way,cross-posted by MetaBlog

(I am posting my story here in an attempt to shame Eurway into honoring their warranty.)

I really like the design of Eurway’s furniture, although it’s often low quality.  Unfortunately, Eurway refuses to do anything about broken furniture even when it is due to an obvious manufacturing defect and under warranty.

I purchased a sectional black leather couch from the central Dallas Eurway store on 10/15/2005.  I paid $2,000 for the couch and approximately $6,000 for all the furniture I purchased from Eurway that day.  My customer # is 11661945.  The couch was delivered to my home and assembled by Eurway a few days later. 

I noticed right away that the joint between the two sections of the sectional did not fit tightly.  The inner wall where the two sections join is flat for one section and curved for the others.  (This is easy to see in the photos.)  The reason I noticed this is that the two sections would sometimes come slightly loose, but they could be easily back pushed together.

About a year and a half later, the straight section suddenly failed to rest on the primary section.  As you can see in the photos, this is because the straight section is only supported by a small wedge of wood composite, which eventually failed after a few people sat on the couch.  To clarify, the retaining bracket and the metal dowel which are supposed to hold the two sections together do not align correctly, as the shape of the section is meant to fit a curved sectional, whereas I have a straight sectional.

Sometime later, I decided to use the five year manufacturer warranty from Eurway to repair or replace the broken couch.  My father visited Eurway and was told to email the store’s manager, Mr. Jeremy Thorpe ([email protected]), whom I first emailed on December 12, 2008.   Six emails later, when I still had not received a reply, I visited Eurway and personally handed the printout of my email to a Mr. Anthony Adele.  When I still had not heard a reply, I sent an email via the central Eurway website, after which Mr. Thorpe finally responded to say that “the sofa damage is not covered under warranty.” 

I called Mr. Thorpe, and was told that the couch could not have been delivered to me with a curved sidewall, and so must have been damaged by me. He refused to examine the couch.  (It is obvious that the sidewall is curved by design or assembly from a cursory examination.)  When I insisted that someone from Eurway at least take a look at the couch, he said that (to paraphrase) “99.9% percent of such claims are people trying to scam us, and if you’re that one in a million honest customer, that’s too bad for you.”  Basically, he called me a liar. Furthermore, he insisted that it has been too long since the purchase to take advantage of the warranty.  What is the point of a five year warranty if the dealer refuses to honor it after a few years?

Mr. Thorpe finally offered to deliver the couch to a furniture repair dealer (but not to pay for the repair), but he refused to examine the couch to see if the problem was that the couch was damaged, or that it was not assembled/designed correctly in the first place.  (I’m not sure that a repair is even possible given that the problem is with the shape of the frame, not a broken part.)

TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?d=yIl2AUoC8zA TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=ibt5zprFAhU:fFZHRFte_Ao:V_sGLiPBpWU TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=ibt5zprFAhU:fFZHRFte_Ao:D7DqB2pKExk
ibt5zprFAhUUWgLJCe97HU

Cross-posted from Metablog

I used to do this with businesses who would wrong me in little ways. Fight for ages until a small resolution was attained. Now, I don't, because it was never worth my time in the end.

I just hope for the best, and if a business gives me problems, I try to find another comparable service or product for later use.

Well, I didn't intend for a personal post to be posted here (the metablog isn't working right), but since it was posted, let me add that Eurway called me yesterday and offered to repair the couch for free. They specifically mentioned seeing my comments on the internet.

Well, I didn't intend for a personal post to be posted here (the metablog isn't working right), but since it was posted, let me add that Eurway called me yesterday and offered to repair the couch for free. They specifically mentioned seeing my comments on the internet.
Wow! I'm a little shocked; good for you!