Objectivism Online Forum

Ólafur Arnalds

Rate this topic

adrock3215

I'm wondering if anyone else has heard of this 21 year old Icelandic classical music artist named Ólafur Arnalds. From what I have heard so far, I like him a lot. Here is his description as posted on his MySpace page:

'The music of Ólafur Arnalds can only be described as achingly beautiful. He creates a world of delicate symphonic compositions. His music scales the heights perfected by the Romantics.

Succeeding in making the cross-over from classical to pop, Ólafur’s motivations are clear:

“The classical scene is kind of closed to people who haven't been studying music all their lives. I would like to bring my classical influence to the people who don't usually listen to this kind of music…open people's minds." '

My favorite song from him is "3055" and the music video can be seen here:

In this video: given the beauty of the music, the theme of upward motion, and the pure joy shown in the dancing figures, I would say his sense of life is extremely benevolent. (Note: You have to watch until 2-3 minutes in)

Edited by adrock3215

At first, I thought it was nice, but a bit chaotic and disorderly for my tastes... and then I realized that the music was playing in both the Youtube video, and on the Myspace page at the same time, out of sync.

Listened to it a second time, and thought it was lovely. I'll have to check out more of his work. Thanks.

Edited by Sarrisan

At first, I thought it was nice, but a bit chaotic and disorderly for my tastes... and then I realized that the music was playing in both the Youtube video, and on the Myspace page at the same time, out of sync.

Listened to it a second time, and thought it was lovely. I'll have to check out more of his work. Thanks.

Haha, I've done that in the past.