Objectivism Online Forum

Good Press!

Rate this topic

JMeganSnow

A blog friend of mine, Shamus Young, just posted this really neat bit about Bioshock and Objectivism. Inspector and I both contributed, and the comments look pretty positive so far. Hop on by and read it if you're at all interested in video games, and be sure to thank Shamus for working so hard to tell the real story!

Edited by JMeganSnow

A blog friend of mine, Shamus Young, just posted this really neat bit about Bioshock and Objectivism. Inspector and I both contributed, and the comments look pretty positive so far. Hop on by and read it if you're at all interested in video games, and be sure to thank Shamus for working so hard to tell the real story!

I read it, and it was very good.

Thank you Jenni, Inspector, and Shamus. :)

Excellent; I love Shamus' blog, and it's great to see that he's given us some good publicity. I'm going to read the comments now (Though it seems I've come far to late to have any meaningful contribution).

EDIT: Wow, that was some good stuff! You did a great job of representing O'ism there, as did The Inspector.

Edited by Sarrisan

I have been mulling over writing a thorough critique of Bioshock ever since I played the game. However I'm not sure I know enough about Objectivism to do an adequate job. This isn't quite the same but it's very nice, and it seems like people are still curious about what's going on within the Bioshock storyline.

Despite the fact that I have a lot of problems with Bioshock's story, it does make some people take a look into Objectivism itself. Additionally, it seems like the Bioshock series is not going away any time soon (there may be at least two sequals forthcoming) so it may befit Objectivists to be familiar with it.

I don't entirely agree with your appraisal of Ryan. It seemed clear to me that Ryan was a sort of a half-baked Objectivist. Despite his supposed commitments he does things like

nationalize the arboretum, and forbids outside trade

among other things. I'd still like to see a knowledgeable Objectivist directly address the plot of the game but this is a great article.

I'd still like to see a knowledgeable Objectivist directly address the plot of the game but this is a great article.

I'm currently playing through the game for the first time. I may have some comments once I'm finished.

IchorFigure: I think this has already been discussed in other threads. In one of the radio recordings, Andrew Ryan takes a "free market" approach to the use of plasmids. The simple response would be that the city's government was incapable of protecting people from eachother, and people turned to plasmids to protect themselves. Rights violations went unpunished. The writer doesn't even touch on this at all, which goes to show how little he knew about Rand. He confuses freedom with anarchy, egoism with exploitation.

Edited by brian0918