Objectivism Online Forum

BBC says privatization of health care kills

Rate this topic

earwax

I don't think they're arguing the privatization of health care kills. I think they're arguing the privitization of anything, or at least lots of anythings, kills.

What they're actually arguing is up for debate, though:

"The UK study blames rapidly rising unemployment..."

Oh, okay. So, rapidly rising unemployment kills.

"They conclude that as many as one million working-age men died due to the economic shock of mass privatisation policies."

Oh, okay. So, economic shock kills.

"Not only does stress have a direct effect on health, it is also closely associated with unhealthy lifestyles, such as alcoholism.

Together this raises the risk of heart disease and strokes, as well as mental illness."

Hmmm, well, okay. So, alcoholism, heart disease, strokes, and mental illness kills. I think we're getting closer to the truth.

Without seeing the report, it's senseless to put any credence in it.

I think all this really proves is that stability, i.e., knowing what to expect, is generally preferable to a sudden, massive sea change in the way that one goes about getting a vital service. Any sane person who advocates privatizing anything that has been provided by government for many years, would have to advocate the socialized system being phased out gradually. For example as much as I believe in privatizing education, I think that it would have to be phased out gradually to avoid the kind of chaos that one sees in the former Soviet Union.

I think the study in the Lancet is probably timed to add critical mass to the socialized medicine movement. I predict it will contribute to sound bites, stripped of context of course..

Great article in Cap Mag by the way, that is a really innovative way of attempting to put a price tag on the "War on Poverty" and begin to estimate just how much wealth, indeed, how much life our government has flushed down the toilet. While money is still worth something, I made a contribution to CapMag so they can provide more essays like this.

It gets worse too. The BBC produces two (I think, I haven't watched it in a while) hospital dramas which portray private medicine as intrinsically evil. Stories about how nice little old ladies are going to meet the Queen, but they can't make it because they have to wait for their operation because some evil person has chosen to pay for treatment and take up the doctors!

Edited by tito

• 2 weeks later...

This is a typical example of the inherent social-democratic, left-liberal bias at the BBC. The headline is totally removed from what the study (which I admit, I have not read) seems to be saying. What I get from the article, is that the study claims that sudden, dramatic economic changes can potenially have negative consequences on health. That is quite different from the "privatisation kills people" line that the BBC takes out of all context. Disgusting, though not surprising...

• 5 weeks later...
Right, privatization of healthcare kills.- which I guess explains why North Korea, France, and every other socialized or dictator nation has such excellent healthcare. When was the last time the BBC exercised a modicum of competence? (when they're not coddling Hamas and other nuts)

actually france has a great health care system. there was a study a while ago that compared health care system from various countries and most european countries were on the top ranks... the US was rank ~37 or so.

actually france has a great health care system. there was a study a while ago that compared health care system from various countries and most european countries were on the top ranks... the US was rank ~37 or so.

You need to read the actual study, because if it's the one I think you're referencing then you need to know that a major portion of the "grade" received depended upon whether the nation's healthcare was socialized. In essence, they set up a competition which the US could only lose. Here's the rundown.

Edited by JeffS

You need to read the actual study, because if it's the one I think you're referencing then you need to know that a major portion of the "grade" received depended upon whether the nation's healthcare was socialized. In essence, they set up a competition which the US could only lose. Here's the rundown.

wow i did not know that. that is outrageous.