Objectivism Online Forum

Good Eats

Rate this topic

jfortun

I have been a fan of the FoodTV show Good Eats ever since it first popped up on there air. I have always enjoyed Alton Brown's no-nonsense scientific approach to food, and he seems like a rational fun guy.

Ignoring my usual policy of not learning too much about an artist/celebrity who's work I enjoy, I wandered to his website and found that AB had made the following post:

Sunday, March 14, 2004

Dear Martha,

I just want you to know a couple of things.

Men don’t like you because you’ve made it clear you don’t need a stinkin’ one of us and that makes us mad because in a lot of ways…you’re a hottie.

People want you to go down because you wouldn’t drop your head and break down and cry and tell us how ashamed you are about the things you’ve done. Conversely you didn’t pull a Kobe and act like what you did didn’t happen. You stuck by your guns and said that you didn’t believe you did anything wrong. Whether you did or not doesn’t matter. You didn’t grovel and we just hate that kind of thing. Looks too much like your sense of dignity might stem from something other than public consensus and we just can’t have that now can we. Oh and you’re successful…we don’t like that either.

Odds are you will already be out of prison by the time the Enron trials even get warmed up. That’s because the defendants in that case are professional crooks…grey men who know how to use lawyers and paper trails and red tape to disguise the fact that they stole the life right out of thousands of unsuspecting and undeserving people.

Ironic...doncha think?

People say you’re mean…so what? So was Sinatra. He did it his way, you did it yours and now it’s gonna cost you. But don’t worry, you’ll do your time and when you come out you’ll write a book about the whole thing and make another billion. And you know what, I’ll buy a copy…maybe even two.

I never liked you until I saw you walk into the courthouse on day 1 of the trial. You were scared I suspect but nobody would have known from looking at you. You looked defiant... a smart, self-made woman of means who wasn’t about to shed a single tear for the cameras. Now I think you rock...and that you're sorta hot.

While you’re in the clink, I hope you’ll take time to read a little Ayn Rand. I think you and Howard Roarke have a thing or two in common.

I’m going to send you a cake with a file in it. Just do me a favor and don't complain about how the frosting looks, okay?

Best Wishes,

AB

very refreshing.

• 1 month later...
I have been a fan of the FoodTV show Good Eats ever since it first popped up on there air.  I have always enjoyed Alton Brown's no-nonsense scientific approach to food, and he seems like a rational fun guy. 

Ignoring my usual policy of not learning too much about an artist/celebrity who's work I enjoy, I wandered to his website and found that AB had made the following post:

very refreshing.

Alton is a favorite here. Very insightful about his craft, entertaining and funnier than hell. He could be a stand-up he's got that good of timing with jokes. Knows just when they're stretching and he doesn't take himself too seriously.

Now, I also know he thinks right.

As they say... rightous!