Objectivism Online Forum

Have you listened to Objective Communication?

Rate this topic

Atlas51184

Have you listened to Objective Communication?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you listened to Objective Communication?

• Yes
    • No

I'm writing something about effectively communicating Objectivism to non-Objectivists. If you'll give me two seconds of your time, answering the poll would help me to get a rough estimate of what percentage of Objectivists are familiar with this course. If you're feeling very generous, and your answer is "no," I'm interested in the following follow up questions.

(Here is the link to the course page on ARB.)

(1) If your answer is something besides "too expensive" or "just haven't gotten to it yet," why haven't you listened to it?

(2) Do you know anything about the course at all, or has it been recommended to you?

(3) I'm posting another poll with the following question: "Which major Peikoff lecutre courses have you studied?"

Thanks.

(1) If your answer is something besides "too expensive" or "just haven't gotten to it yet," why haven't you listened to it? $280.00 is not just too expensive, it is not plausibly priced correctly. And 22 CDs, 25 hours of listening time not counting going back over interesting passages or pausing for notetaking. That is completely ridiculously inefficient compared to how I could study a book.

I am also boycotting Peikoff's hair in this course. I mean, good god man! Just imagining him flipping his hair around each time he paused for a drink of water would drive me to distraction.

Peikoff3_220.jpg

(2) Do you know anything about the course at all, or has it been recommended to you? Da.

Edited by Grames

I'm writing something about effectively communicating Objectivism to non-Objectivists. If you'll give me two seconds of your time, answering the poll would help me to get a rough estimate of what percentage of Objectivists are familiar with this course. If you're feeling very generous, and your answer is "no," I'm interested in the following follow up questions.

(Here is the link to the course page on ARB.)

(1) If your answer is something besides "too expensive" or "just haven't gotten to it yet," why haven't you listened to it?

(2) Do you know anything about the course at all, or has it been recommended to you?

(3) I'm posting another poll with the following question: "Which major Peikoff lecutre courses have you studied?"

Thanks.

I haven't listened to any of these courses yet and if I do I will probably start with either "Understanding Objectivism" or "Objectivism by Induction". I'd rather spend $300 on understanding the principles for myself than on learning to communicate them. I'm reading the Art of Nonfiction right now though, which covers some of the same topics, and I agree with Grames that book formats are far more efficient for studying.

I understand if people don't have the money laying around, but I'm wondering if the people who think "it's too much money" in general have ever gone to college. Even state-subsidized courses at a junior college is far more than these lectures. Think about it.

I bet it's a good value, actually. Think about how much bad communication costs businesses monetarily and relationships emotionally. I'd love to listen to it if I ever have the time and can afford it.

I understand if people don't have the money laying around, but I'm wondering if the people who think "it's too much money" in general have ever gone to college. Even state-subsidized courses at a junior college is far more than these lectures. Think about it.

Yes, but I can buy a book on any topic for about $15.00 on average (often less). Also, course fee has to cover instructors time every time course is given. This is recorded.

That being said, I bought UO and I consider it worth it. The cost, however, was a deterent for me for purchasing more lectures.

My reality dictates that I have childern to feed. My desires will have to be postponed until it is economically viable to spent that sort of money. I'm with Sophia re: books. No power needed, portable, can be taken anywhere. Much better format, for me. I grew up in a pre computer age, and related much better to the printed word, rather than a visual medium.

Yes, but I can buy a book on any topic for about $15.00 on average (often less). Also, course fee has to cover instructors time every time course is given. This is recorded.

That being said, I bought UO and I consider it worth it. The cost, however, was a deterent for me for purchasing more lectures.

I meant for a semester--you are paying for every time Peikoff had to show up to deliver the next lecture as well. Course it's recorded, but as far as covering the cost of an instructor, the comparative cost for a recorded lecture of the same length and quality by any other preeminent intellectual would probably be even more.

It's also true that you can buy books on the cheap, and if you know of any that can possibly be considered a substitute to this lecture, I'd be eager to know about it.

Another way to offset the cost of the lecture is to attend the OAC (and have the benefit of being graded and such by Onkar Ghate).

I meant for a semester--you are paying for every time Peikoff had to show up to deliver the next lecture as well. Course it's recorded, but as far as covering the cost of an instructor, the comparative cost for a recorded lecture of the same length and quality by any other preeminent intellectual would probably be even more.

When I went to college the fee covered my instructors time right there in class, his after lecture office hours (again his time available to me), time spend grading my assignments and exams, and other cost like: lecture hall and heating. If college consisted just of listening to recorded material at home I would have expected to pay a lot less for that.

A big part for me is also the fact that I learn better through reading. I prefer books over lectures.

One good substitute I found was Logic: An Introduction by Lionel Ruby which is about $50.0. In comparison, Introduction to Logic by Peikoff is $355.0.