Objectivism Online Forum

Kosmix

Rate this topic

Mammon

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/business/15ping.html?em

I read this NYT article on this site...

http://www.kosmix.com/

And I have to say, it's incredibly useful! I like it. It's good for researching all sort of stuff. I wanted to share it with everyone in hopes that it will become a useful tool for everyone. Just search for "Objectivism" and watch all the interesting stuff that pops up.

It does seem quite promising so far, based on the few searches I have tried with it. I found some stuff on that first (rather busy) page that might take me a little longer to find with Google. But it seemed a little busy too, and I could see that a lot of people would find the current interface a little crowded and daunting. The quality/relevance of the individual results seems average, though it seemed to have a tendency to give more irrelevent results than I would expect.

It literally used google to come up with the best search results. Why shouldn't I just use google?

There is at least one possible reason that you might want to use Kosmix instead: It gives you a huge range of categories of results, such as standard results, videos, images, etc all on the one page. I could see how that might potentially be of some use to some people.

It literally used google to come up with the best search results. Why shouldn't I just use google?

What Dwayne said.

Basically with Google, you have to do a whole bunch of individual searches, like for images, news, blogs, books, etc. This sort of organizes everything so it's right there to begin with.

I don't think it's meant to compete with Google as a search engine. If you want to do a basic search, use Google, if you want a plethora of information instantly use Kosmix I guess.

I'm going to experiment with MeeHive and see how that works as well. It's made by the same people.

Because Google does not give you such a wealth of all sorts of different TYPES of results on the one search page. You would not use it because it is gives you better results as such, you would use it because it presents what you could find from Google in a different way that might save you the time and effort of searching through multiple Google pages. I do not know if this point reason can be made any more clear at this stage...