Objectivism Online Forum

FieldMarshal's Intro

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm currently a college student studying Economics, because it was my interest, though I am being taught the traditional neo-classical methodology. I consider myself an Objectivist because I agree with the core tenants of Objectivism. I used to be a far left liberal (not quite reaching Nader but still John Kerry supporting), then a Catoite-libertarian, then an Objectivist after being exposed to Ayn Rand, and then a Rothbardian Natural Law anarchocapitalist. I'm currently in the process of reading Rand's non-fiction books, having read Virtue of Selfishness and Capitalism the Unknown Ideal, and hope to get to fountainhead and atlas shrugged. I guess the reason I was so hooked onto anarchocapitalism is bcause mises.org provided so many books for free. While my ideas are not entirely clear now, I'm hoping to form some synthesis between Objectivism and natural-law Anarchocapitalism. Basically I think altruism and collectivism are inseparable from government, and the only just and beneficial system for people to live under is a decentralized, free-market with a common agreement to the non-aggression principle and a simple urge find, manage, and delegate labor and resources.

The only real consistent philosophy I have is that of individualism and ethical egoism. I also think there is an important distinction between the "objectivism" of knowledge and values, and subjectivity of economic value and the ability for a man to act and reassess values on an ongoing basis.

Hope to get some substantiative discussion while I am here.

Welcome.

I'm hoping to form some synthesis between Objectivism and natural-law Anarchocapitalism. Basically I think altruism and collectivism are inseparable from government,

Why?

and the only just and beneficial system for people to live under is a decentralized, free-market with a common agreement to the non-aggression principle and a simple urge find, manage, and delegate labor and resources.

With no government who is going to protect this arrangement when a group of thugs decides they want what you have?

... there is an important distinction between the "objectivism" of knowledge and values, and subjectivity of economic value ...

Yes, they opt in completely unrelated contexts. Knowledge and values are objective when they are consistent with the nature of existence and man. Economic values are subjective when they are freely made by each person on their own terms, whether or not the economic values subjectively made are objectively valid.