Objectivism Online Forum

Ohio Objectivist Society

Rate this topic

brian0918

ooslogo-small.png

The Ohio Objectivist Society was recently formed, and is currently seeking 501c(3) non-profit status and affiliation with the Ayn Rand Institute. We currently hold biweekly meetings in Mentor, OH, and are planning to set up a meetup group on the west side of Cleveland and elsewhere as resources permit. We are also setting up private libraries, and planning for upcoming events.

OOS will have a presence at the upcoming Tax Day Tea Parties in both Cleveland and Canton. As supplies last, we will distribute copies of Atlas Shrugged and other reading material to individuals who show a genuine interest in Rand's philosophy.

Links:

For more information, follow the links above, or send me a PM!

Edited by brian0918

That's awesome! I hope your group is as enjoyable and educational as Front Range Objectivism has been for me. :)

It has been. The discussions are actually stimulating. It was like going out on a long hike or jog - you feel exhausted afterward, but deeply satisfied. It was nothing like the other philosophy meetup group I've attended, where everyone's eyes glaze over and we get lost in a void of dropped context. :D

Edited by brian0918

Ha ha! I know what you mean!

After our meetings, we all go out to dinner somewhere. Kinda a nice way to socialize and relax after an exhausting, stimulating conversation.

seeking 501c(3) non-profit status

Why are you doing that?

affiliation with the Ayn Rand Institute

ARI told the organizer of NTOS that they do not affiliate with with non-student groups. Did you find out otherwise, and what does affiliation mean in your context?

That seems like kind of a rude name given that you're WAY too far away for people like me (in Dayton) to attend these meetings or be interested in donating. You're not the Ohio Objectivist Society, you're the Cleveland Area Objectivist Society (unless you're planning on expanding and conducting affairs in other cities).

That seems like kind of a rude name given that you're WAY too far away for people like me (in Dayton) to attend these meetings or be interested in donating. You're not the Ohio Objectivist Society, you're the Cleveland Area Objectivist Society (unless you're planning on expanding and conducting affairs in other cities).

Well, I think that was the whole point - we are planning to expand as much as possible throughout Ohio, and merge with other Ohio groups if and when they pop up. As it stands, there are no other Ohio groups of which I am aware. Calling it the "Ohio" Objectivist Society is a recognition of our goals.

That seems like kind of a rude name given that you're WAY too far away for people like me (in Dayton) to attend these meetings or be interested in donating.
Oh, they're not so far away. It's a three hour drive for me, and I make the two hour drive to my hometown Canton all the time. Ohio is pretty small, and everywhere is accessible on a weekend, from top to bottom. If the meeting area was changed regularly, it would work as an "Ohio" group.

I agree, that is a rude name. Ohio is a suburb of Dallas. The North Texas Objectivist Society already covers it.

FRO has some members that live several hours away. Several of us offer up our guest bedrooms to them if they don't want to drive home that day/night.

It's the out and back in the same day that makes the drive problematic. :wacko: If you're looking to expand, maybe you should start fishing around for people to start chapters in other cities. (Not me, I'm too busy for anything like this right now.)

• 4 weeks later...

I just joined the Facebook group! :lol: but it's unlikely that I could ever attend a meeting since I'm way down here in Dayton. Although my family is in Cleveland, so I'm up that way every few months.

Just out of curiosity, how many people actually attend your meetings? Just trying to get a feel for how many Objectivists are up in my old home town.

We'll get to Dayton soon enough. ;) There are enough O'ists in Cincinnati and Dayton to start a hefty meetup group.

We started the OOS only a few months ago, and our current meetup (northeast OH) has 8-9 regular attendees, plus occasional people who we meet through meetup.com. We met a few more Oists at tea parties, and are hoping they will be able to attend. There are more down in Akron that may be able to, but that'd be more difficult.

There's a Columbus meetup on Sunday at 1:30, and there should be at least 7 people in attendance - and maybe up to 15. I'll be coming from 2 hours away, almost twice the distance from Dayton to Columbus ;) Another O'ist is coming from Cleveland, and couple from Mentor - 3 hours away. If you're interested, there's more info on FB and Meetup.

Edited by brian0918