Objectivism Online Forum

Obama laughes at Marijuana Legalization

Rate this topic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M6orSr5QvA

Not really surprising since we know his views on individual rights, but I still find it disconcerting how he smuggly shrugs off the question with a chuckle (is he still punch drunk?). I mean millions of lives have been and are still being ruined because of marijuana prohibition, a drug which apparently he used numerous times before. Also ironic because of the escalating violence on the Mexican border between the drug cartels and prohibitionist. With prohibition so relevant to current problems in this country many people voted for the Marijuana question to be asked and he basically spat in their face, I guess it's not that shocking, you get what you vote for.

It did seem a little insulting. Unfortunately that's the answer I would expect from any mainstream politician. There are a lot of people in this country (most of them of voting age) that think marijuana is evil. The question of legalization is largely dismissed as the type of thing only a stoner teenager would ask.

This actually drove me nuts in college. I would argue for legalization of all drugs and people would ALWAYS respond by saying I only wanted it legalized so I can do drugs all day long. They can't seem to comprehend that some people want it legal on a matter of principle and not because they want to get high. :o

There has been positive progress though. The DEA recently announced that it's basically giving up the fight against marijuana.

I guess there are people who may feel insulted to some degree by even mild jocularity on some subject or other.

By the way, Obama didn't say marijuana is evil (whether he thinks that or not, I don't know) but only that he does not believe that legalizing marijuana would help the economy and the creation of jobs. (And I'm not claiming that you are or are not arguing that Obama revealed himself to think that marijuana is evil or that his answer was meant to pander to those who do.)

Edited by Hodge'sPodges

"By the way, Obama didn't say marijuana is evil (whether he thinks that or not, I don't know) but only that he does not believe that legalizing marijuana would help the economy and the creation of jobs."

Well let me clear this up:

Obama is against the legalization of marijuana period. He wishes to continue prohibition.