Objectivism Online Forum

Introduction... Hello!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, I've recently begun delving into the philosophy of Ayn Rand and I'm very impressed so far. I feel like it's articulating a lot of what I've thought for years and is giving my scattered philosophy a structure. I think for years I've been a sort of closet Objectivist, I just didn't know what it was called and felt as though I had to be wrong because just about everyone around me disagreed with my views. For example, I clearly recall in class several times learning about the basic idea of capitalism and the free market. The teacher would ask what we though of Adam Smith's concept of the "invisible hand". Most of the kids in the class would explain that they believe history has proven his concept a failure and that regulation was required to make the economy work right. I recall one time speaking up and defending his views but the teacher basically laughed and explained why I was "wrong", that shut me up.

However, last year (my freshman year at college), in my philosophy class we read "On Liberty" by J.S. Mill. I found his philosophy to mostly be very in tune with what I believe and it got me thinking again. I'd heard of Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism (also, in middle school we'd read "Anthem" so I'd had some exposure) but only recently did I really explore her ideas in debth. I've so far read bits and pieces of "The Virtue of Selfishness" and I picked up "The Ayn Rand Lexicon" from the library. I'm enjoying both very much so far and I'm looking forward to exploring Objectivism further.