Objectivism Online Forum

Dictator in Chief

Rate this topic

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/20871.html

After having started the fire, incited the riot and armed the mob he flexes a little and notes...

“My administration,” the president added, “is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”

:rolleyes:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/20871.html

After having started the fire, incited the riot and armed the mob he flexes a little and notes...

“My administration,” the president added, “is the only thing between you and the pitchforks.”

:rolleyes:

Actually, the fire was started by the media, fed by CONgress and recycled by the media. Obama was nowhere near the scene

This is how a complex works, in this case the university-media-totalitarian complex. each part knows it's part so that no real co-ordination is necessary, they just respond in their habitual ways to what they see and the gears mesh

If x happens, you and I are Objectivists in different fields. The identities of X, you and I will cause a reaction where our two actions will mesh although we had never even talked about the matter of x or may not even know each other

Interesting, so Obama was following in the tradition of Paulson, but stepping it up a notch, talking like a thug, threatening the CEOs!

No wonder Ken Lewis looked so scared on CNBC the other day, saying that he would like to return the government money, but he'll wait; and, maybe the government will let him return a little bit of it.

Judge Nepolitano has an interesting take on this in a recent op-ed: He says the Feds are using extortion on our banks.

I'm not sure I agree with his definition of extortion, however, as I think telling the bankers we won't protect you from the mob unless you go along with us is more like extortion.

"[The good and profitable banker] pleaded with the Feds to leave his successful bank alone. He begged his board to let him tell the Feds to take a hike. But they gave in. The Feds are now just a tiny shareholder, but want to begin asserting more and more control. This is a classic extortion: Controlling someone’s free will by threatening to perform a lawful act."

In the old gangster movies, extortion was threatening to go to the cops if you did something illegal, unless you went along with the gang. So, in that sense, I can understand the judge's reasoning about extortion. But I don't get it with regard to forcing banks to accept bail out money and turn over part of their banks to the Feds. I guess a point he is making is that the Feds say that if you don't comply we will make things difficult for you even though you have not broken any laws -- i.e. we will let the mob have at you and your bank unless you comply.

According to dictionary.com, a general definition of extortion is:

"Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority."

Under this definition, forcing banks to give up part ownership of their banks against their will would be extortion.

And they are not even trying to hide it!

This is definitely corruption of power.

Judge Nepolitano has an interesting take on this in a recent op-ed: He says the Feds are using extortion on our banks.

I'm not sure I agree with his definition of extortion, however, as I think telling the bankers we won't protect you from the mob unless you go along with us is more like extortion.

"[The good and profitable banker] pleaded with the Feds to leave his successful bank alone. He begged his board to let him tell the Feds to take a hike. But they gave in. The Feds are now just a tiny shareholder, but want to begin asserting more and more control. This is a classic extortion: Controlling someone’s free will by threatening to perform a lawful act."

In the old gangster movies, extortion was threatening to go to the cops if you did something illegal, unless you went along with the gang. So, in that sense, I can understand the judge's reasoning about extortion. But I don't get it with regard to forcing banks to accept bail out money and turn over part of their banks to the Feds. I guess a point he is making is that the Feds say that if you don't comply we will make things difficult for you even though you have not broken any laws -- i.e. we will let the mob have at you and your bank unless you comply.

According to dictionary.com, a general definition of extortion is:

"Law. the crime of obtaining money or some other thing of value by the abuse of one's office or authority."

Under this definition, forcing banks to give up part ownership of their banks against their will would be extortion.

And they are not even trying to hide it!

This is definitely corruption of power.

And here's the dirty little secret, or dirty big secret: When you look at the input of the ObamaNostra crowd The "mob" doesn't give a Rigellian rat's rear.

Obama had a $MUS400+ (I think it was $M600) war chest that he used against the pathetic McCain and only wone by 5 or 6 points. depending on who you listen to

Last week, according to Rush Limbaugh, Zogby had Obama at "50/50" approval rating down from 75+% just two months prior. This looks like a case of Obama fatigue and his telprompter doesn't get it.

When the bad guys organized a trip to CT and the homes of the AIG execs. according to WCBS on that Saturday. they got a whopping 35-40 warm bodies to show up. Now that's a real seething mob for you.

This is what you call laboring mightily and bringing forth a paramecium; and a dwarf paramecium at that.

The university-media-totalitarian complex has to keep the drumbeat up to save face. Even if I were sympathetic to them, I wouldn't touch this bunch with a 10-foot Cylon for fear of being (correctly) lumped in with not-ready-for-prime-time interstellar-class losers.

It's not that this isn't very impressive, it's that it is very impressive. Someone better teach these clowns the heimlich maneuver and it's uses to prevent mondo-sized chokes.

Edited by Space Patroller

From the Wall Street Journal.

Fast forward to today, and that same bank is begging to give the money back. The chairman offers to write a check, now, with interest. He's been sitting on the cash for months and has felt the dead hand of government threatening to run his business and dictate pay scales. He sees the writing on the wall and he wants out. But the Obama team says no, since unlike the smaller banks that gave their TARP money back, this bank is far more prominent. The bank has also been threatened with "adverse" consequences if its chairman persists. That's politics talking, not economics.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123879833094588163.html

And here's the dirty little secret, or dirty big secret: When you look at the input of the ObamaNostra crowd The "mob" doesn't give a Rigellian rat's rear.

Obama had a $MUS400+ (I think it was $M600) war chest that he used against the pathetic McCain and only wone by 5 or 6 points. depending on who you listen to

Last week, according to Rush Limbaugh, Zogby had Obama at "50/50" approval rating down from 75+% just two months prior. This looks like a case of Obama fatigue and his telprompter doesn't get it.

When the bad guys organized a trip to CT and the homes of the AIG execs. according to WCBS on that Saturday. they got a whopping 35-40 warm bodies to show up. Now that's a real seething mob for you.

This is what you call laboring mightily and bringing forth a paramecium; and a dwarf paramecium at that.

The university-media-totalitarian complex has to keep the drumbeat up to save face. Even if I were sympathetic to them, I wouldn't touch this bunch with a 10-foot Cylon for fear of being (correctly) lumped in with not-ready-for-prime-time interstellar-class losers.

It's not that this isn't very impressive, it's that it is very impressive. Someone better teach these clowns the heimlich maneuver and it's uses to prevent mondo-sized chokes.

Your presentation is great.