Objectivism Online Forum

Obama sells Israel to Iran

Rate this topic

Bastian Hayek

The Obama administration is still working on the shape of the lead-partnership role it hopes to assign Iran in resolving the Afghanistan-Pakistan crisis, DEBKAfile's military and Washington sources disclose. But US and Iranian officers have made enough progress in their backdoor exchanges to give Israeli leaders sleepless nights.

Israel's chief of staff, Lt. Gen. Gaby Ashkenazi was summoned to Strasbourg Friday, April 3, for a briefing from the Chairman of US Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen at the NATO conference on how this new development, first revealed by DEBKA-Net-Weekly, will affect Israel.

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1384

This makes me so mad. The chances of Iran actually getting nukes is now, I think, at almost 100%.

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1384

This makes me so mad. The chances of Iran actually getting nukes is now, I think, at almost 100%.

How America is dealing with Israel really bothers me to -- but Israel's entire history is one of being regularly betrayed by the west.

I just finished reading Benjamin Netanyahu's two books, A Durable Peace, and Fighting Terrorism, and everything seems so clear--and then we have Obama and others.

I'm going through Bergman's The Secret War with Iran, and my jaw is dropping. I've lived in a cave for ten years, and so I'm just discovering the amazing story of the middle east. Wow!

I think it is about time Israel starts taking things into their own hands. Waiting for the U.S. to do something about Iran and other terrorist states is going to get them wiped off the face of the map.

Unfortunately, this is no easy task. The after Israel dealt with the Iraqi nuclear reactor and the Syrian nuclear facility, the Iranians were much smarter about hardening their nuclear installations. It isn't simply a case of flying a couple of bombers over Iran and taking them out.

I see it rather differently. I believe they are a threat to the Gulf rather than Israel--thats their real goal--. Israel is a tool that Iran uses in order to export its extremism into the Gulf. From the days of the Shah, they wanted hegemony in the Gulf, and Israel is a game they play. So when they want to win support among Arabs, they start screaming about Israel; they simply play off frustrations and fears in the Arab world and to some degree they've succeeded.

• 2 months later...

As a student of Objectivism, I would think that Obama may feel somewhat indebted -as in the context of pull- to the overwhelming majority of Jewish voters who contributed to his election -and would be valuable to his re-election.

I guess not even pull can save you when you're seen as the Rival Tribe.

Unfortunately, this is no easy task. The after Israel dealt with the Iraqi nuclear reactor and the Syrian nuclear facility, the Iranians were much smarter about hardening their nuclear installations. It isn't simply a case of flying a couple of bombers over Iran and taking them out.

Indeed, and Israel's weaponry is American. As far as I know, they can't use a nuke without permission from DC.

I haven't read Obama's speech in Cairo yet, but I remember listening to his news conference with Netanyahu. He said two key things: he repeated a few times that Iran is a threat; and two, that Iran would be bombed. That he said this will get all those Obama worshippers, hopefully, to pay attention, and look at the evidence, maybe read a book or two. Previous to Obama being elected I was reading a good deal of Machiavelli, and from then, and until now I see that he is clearly a pragmatist. I predict he will be pushed to flex his muscles as commander in chief, he will want to show the world that he is a great military leader. My intuition tells me--sorry--but it tells me that he will try to wipe out these nuclear programs of North Korea and Iran. Iran will never recognize Israel and North Korea continues to conduct dangerous tests. I doubt Obama will allow himself to remain a weakling in the eyes of the monsters that his military establishment must be telling him they are. He will tell the world, "Look ... um ... now I undertand what some of you may be feeling ... and um I sympathize with that. Look ... what I did was a bad thing ... but ... um ... at the same time it was also a good thing ..." And they will eat it up. Overall I believe Obama will fail horribly--but I believe he will display his military power, which must be so irresitable.

Israel cannot sustain both its military and its welfare system, without US aid. Their only chance of long term survival is, I think, to give up the latter now, while the US aid is still flowing.

Unfortunately there isn't a political movement in Israel pushing for that, or even treating the welfare state as a liability. They might have to learn that it is the hard way.

Indeed, and Israel's weaponry is American. As far as I know, they can't use a nuke without permission from DC.

Much of Israel's weaponry is American, but not all of it. For example, Israel produces her own tanks and armored troop carriers. She also mkaes some of her airplanes, radars and avionics systems. But much of her airforce is American, notably F-15 and F-16 fighter/attack aircraft. Israel also produces a lot of ammunition both for small arms and artillery. There are ISraeli-made missiles of all types, and Israel invented the airborne drones so popular with the US military these days.

Israel's nukes are entirely homegrown. Information about them is sketchy, since Israel won't confirm or deny having any. Rumor has it their first nukes were made from material (ie plutonium) stolen from a US nuclear plant, but I know of no hard evidence for this.

Now, Israel can use her nukes without asking America for permission in the sense that the Israeli armed forces can deliver them and detonate them without codes or authorizations from America to make them work. But the political, dimplmatic and economic consequences of doing so would be dire.