Objectivism Online Forum

Fedoras

Rate this topic

JMartins

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's very difficult to have someone else dress you up, and a sucessfull buisnessman is not likely the kind of person who will have someone else tie his shoes. Good tailors are also hard to find so you have to know where to look for them, and even when you find one you'll better know a thing or two about clothes and tailoring to get the desired result.

This is absolutely incorrect in my experience--once you hit about 250K of income it is a ridiculous waste of your time to press and mend your own suits (which they need with distressing regularity), and for women, at least, you don't buy your clothing off the shelf simply because it won't fit. It is very easy to find a tailor who can *adjust* an existing suit or dress for your size, although one that can design an entire suit of clothing from the ground up is, of course, an expensive luxury.

I don't do this myself because I can't afford nice clothing nor would it suit my lifestyle (if it takes more care than "dump in washing machine and add soap" you can forget it), but I have numerous family members that do because they have to wear suits at work and/or for special functions.

That, and nice clothes for women are inherently uncomfortable because they all involve an article of clothing that covers half your body and does not fit and does not breathe: panty hose. When I can wear PANTS and REAL SHOES as a part of my "formal" outfit without looking like a dork, then I'll believe that line about nice clothes not "having" to be uncomfortable.

When I can wear PANTS and REAL SHOES as a part of my "formal" outfit without looking like a dork, then I'll believe that line about nice clothes not "having" to be uncomfortable.
I could do it! That's a challenge easily satisfied!

That, and nice clothes for women are inherently uncomfortable....

I don't find it so.

because they all involve an article of clothing that covers half your body and does not fit and does not breathe: pantyhose.

Why does not fit? Also there is another alternative - stockings.

I will grant that often attractive shoes are not made for walking lol ...

This is absolutely incorrect in my experience--once you hit about 250K of income it is a ridiculous waste of your time to press and mend your own suits (which they need with distressing regularity), and for women, at least, you don't buy your clothing off the shelf simply because it won't fit. It is very easy to find a tailor who can *adjust* an existing suit or dress for your size, although one that can design an entire suit of clothing from the ground up is, of course, an expensive luxury.

I don't do this myself because I can't afford nice clothing nor would it suit my lifestyle (if it takes more care than "dump in washing machine and add soap" you can forget it), but I have numerous family members that do because they have to wear suits at work and/or for special functions.

That, and nice clothes for women are inherently uncomfortable because they all involve an article of clothing that covers half your body and does not fit and does not breathe: panty hose. When I can wear PANTS and REAL SHOES as a part of my "formal" outfit without looking like a dork, then I'll believe that line about nice clothes not "having" to be uncomfortable.

I don't think they are pressing and mending their suits or going to the dry cleaners themselves. That is indeed unecessary and a waste of time. I'm not suggesting they buy their clothes off the rack either, on the contrary I think they are more likely to go for bespoke tailoring(though they probably buy stuff that they just have adjusted). To clarify my point a little bit:

As a businessman you are likely to see yourself meeting alot of different people like clients, investors, business partners etc. You may meet them at the office, for lunch, or dinner. Sometimes you meet people at formal events, and sometimes less formal - like during the weekend at the country club. Dealing with people in many different situations, whatever these situations may be, is probably a very important part of the job description. To have someone just tell you what to wear is very difficult, because that person would have to follow you around everywhere(and prefferably have a good sense of style and some sartorial savvy). Having your clothes cleaned, pressed and mended by someone else is not a big deal, but having the clothing choices handled by someone else is a much bigger deal.

Having a suit well fitted and sharp looking always takes a bit of knowledge from the wearer. I mean, without knowing how it should fit you are not likely to even have the ready to wear suit adjusted by a tailor. And even if they do it helps to know a little bit about fitting and construction. Then to have something bespoke it probably helps to know alot more than that. Lastly, even if all of the clothes are perfectly tailored and fit, made of the finest fabrics, it still takes some skill to match all of the pieces togheter.

This is why I think it's safe to assume that a well dressed gentleman is very aware on how to dress. It's just one of those things that's very difficult to have others do for you.

I can't say I know much about nice clothes for women though, never tried to wear them myself. So my comment there was just regarding guys looking pathetically unhappy and uncomfortable in suits. Personally I find suits more comfortable than jeans and a t-shirt, not that I wear suits very often but I enjoy it when I do.

As for suits being uncomfortable I personally think it's one of the most comfortable things you can wear, but quality and fitting is crucial. I mean, a tight collar, jacket and pants that are too tight(or too loose) in some places, fabric that doesnt breathe etc. That's very uncomfortable. When everything is fitting well and with good fabrics you can feel comfortable and look sharp through the whole day.

I don't mind wearing a suit either and as you say, if they are properly tailored and well made, then a man's suit is quite comfortable. Unfortunately, in the age of workplace casual, most men seem to think that wearing a $20 pair of slacks and an ill-fitting $65 sport coat from the local outlet mall is "looking sharp". Much better, in my opinion, to have a few good, well-tailored articles of clothing as opposed to lots of cheap pieces from a discount store. It's even better still to have lots of the good stuff....assuming you can afford it! Anyhow, the art of dressing well seems to have been lost in America.

I don't mind wearing a suit either and as you say, if they are properly tailored and well made, then a man's suit is quite comfortable. Unfortunately, in the age of workplace casual, most men seem to think that wearing a $20 pair of slacks and an ill-fitting $65 sport coat from the local outlet mall is "looking sharp". Much better, in my opinion, to have a few good, well-tailored articles of clothing as opposed to lots of cheap pieces from a discount store. It's even better still to have lots of the good stuff....assuming you can afford it! Anyhow, the art of dressing well seems to have been lost in America.

Something i've noticed too as i've moved more towards made to measure and higher quality clothes is that it actually makes more economic sense. And I say that as a student with not that much money to spend on clothes. Some things already have good prices to begin with(for example made to measure shirts that you can order online) and there are frequently sales on high quality items, or you can do some bargain hunting on the net. It's often well worth a little extra effort.

Today, of course, when very few wear white tie, the tuxedo has taken on a kind of ersatz formal status.

It can be a lot funnier than that.

In Mexico a suit and ties is seen as formal for attending a wedding. The groom and the men in the wedding party wear tuxedos. But the waiters at the reception also wear tuxedos :) I think it's hilarious.

I don't mind wearing a suit either and as you say, if they are properly tailored and well made, then a man's suit is quite comfortable.

My first reaction was to ask: "On what planet?" But I suppose it depends on what you do. If you sit at a desk all day, a suit is probably no worse than anything else. On the other hand, if you have to walk a lot, move sample cases, arrange samples, get under the desk to reach the ethernet terminal, etc, then a suit is about as comfortable, and useful, as a straitjacket.

Oh, and as long as you don't mind geting your tie into everything every time you lean or reach for something, that is.

BTW I've never really paid much attention to what men wear. I do look at what women wear, though. And a woman in a finely tailored suit in any cut is worth looking at. Women also have a lot more choices on fabrics, colors, cuts and styles than men could dream of (or, I suppose, even want)

I prefer to dress comfrotably. Off work that mostly means jeans and t-shirts, plus a jacket or windbreaker when the temperature drops. I also always wear shoes with rubber soles, preferably sneakers.

My first reaction was to ask: "On what planet?" But I suppose it depends on what you do. If you sit at a desk all day, a suit is probably no worse than anything else. On the other hand, if you have to walk a lot, move sample cases, arrange samples, get under the desk to reach the ethernet terminal, etc, then a suit is about as comfortable, and useful, as a straitjacket.

That's what I do, sit at a desk most of the day and occasionally meet with clients, etc... If I were up and about doing physical work, a suit would not be my choice. In fact, there are few things worse than sweating and/or getting dirty in a suit.

Oh, and as long as you don't mind geting your tie into everything every time you lean or reach for something, that is.

BTW I've never really paid much attention to what men wear. I do look at what women wear, though. And a woman in a finely tailored suit in any cut is worth looking at. Women also have a lot more choices on fabrics, colors, cuts and styles than men could dream of (or, I suppose, even want)

I prefer to dress comfrotably. Off work that mostly means jeans and t-shirts, plus a jacket or windbreaker when the temperature drops. I also always wear shoes with rubber soles, preferably sneakers.

I agree that suits are not ideal for physical labor but if moving around, reaching under the desk etc is bothersome I think there's something wrong with the suit. It should not restrict your movement so it feels like a straitjacket. However, I think one should dress for the ocassion, and wearing a suit for more physically demanding activities is a very poor choice of clothing.

I also like to pay alot more attention to how women dress, and yeah... i've always had a weak spot for buisness/accountant-style or beautiful evening dresses(and high heels, which most women probably hate).

Wearing jeans for comfort is something I don't understand though. I can only see two redeeming factors regarding jeans. One is that they can take alot of abuse and still look good, and second is that my ass looks great in them. :)

Edited by Alfa

Wearing jeans for comfort is something I don't understand though. I can only see two redeeming factors regarding jeans. One is that they can take alot of abuse and still look good, and second is that my ass looks great in them. :D

City folk. :P

Please tell me this is a joke!

No. :P

I kinda agree with Jenni about women's clothing, particularly of the formal variety. I have a REALLY hard time finding clothes that not only fit me properly, but are also comfortable. (And the problem is just exacerbated with formal wear.) Women's bodies come in so many shapes, I think it's nearly impossible for manufacturers to make enough sizes. Finding a good tailor/seamstress does help though.

And don't even get me started on shoes! Would someone please make a women's size 10.5 Narrow! Jeez! I just spent $255 on a pair of shoes because it was the only thing I could find that fit! Ridiculous! :D

I agree that suits are not ideal for physical labor but if moving around, reaching under the desk etc is bothersome I think there's something wrong with the suit.

What's wrong with is that it is a suit. :D

However, I think one should dress for the ocassion, and wearing a suit for more physically demanding activities is a very poor choice of clothing.

I'm supposed to have an office job, plus the samples, plus informally troubleshooting systems, plus a lot of walking. The other day I had to walk 3 miles because traffic around the office had coagulated to a standstill. The good news is the dress code (what there is of it) at the office is business casual, with casual Fridays.

I also like to pay alot more attention to how women dress, and yeah... i've always had a weak spot for buisness/accountant-style or beautiful evening dresses(and high heels, which most women probably hate).

Women sometimes suffer to look good. Women's shows can sometimes feel and look more like elegant torture devices than simple foot coverings, and long-term use fo high heels is bad for the back. But, man, nothing in this world is more beautiful than a well-dressed woman.

I also prefer women who wear skirts, but I can see how wearing slacks is more comfrotable, particularly on a daily basis. More's the pity.

Wearing jeans for comfort is something I don't understand though. I can only see two redeeming factors regarding jeans. One is that they can take alot of abuse and still look good,

It depends on the cut. The fashionable designer labels do jeans that are meant to be seen, not worn. But the old stanbys like Levis and Lee make, loose, comfortable jeans with plenty of pockets. Also, since they take a lot of abuse, you don't have to be careful wearing them. They wash easy, last a long time and rarely tear or fray.

City folk. :P

Hey, we don't even have cities in Sweden(Stockholm, in my estimation, should be labeled a small town or village)!

No. :(

I kinda agree with Jenni about women's clothing, particularly of the formal variety. I have a REALLY hard time finding clothes that not only fit me properly, but are also comfortable. (And the problem is just exacerbated with formal wear.) Women's bodies come in so many shapes, I think it's nearly impossible for manufacturers to make enough sizes. Finding a good tailor/seamstress does help though.

And don't even get me started on shoes! Would someone please make a women's size 10.5 Narrow! Jeez! I just spent $255 on a pair of shoes because it was the only thing I could find that fit! Ridiculous! :(

That's just sad. :(

I think fiting issues are common for both men and women with ready to wear clothes. As I understand it the sowing patterns are made for scalability, so that the clothes can be made in many different sizes and still retain the same kind of fit and shape. Then of course the body types for which the clothes are made for are idealised. Even if the clothes are made for thin, athletic or full figures there's still a great deal of variation on the proportions within these categories. I suppose this is why runway models look the way they do; they are good clothe hangers and all follow similar proportions making the work easier for the designers.

Keep in mind that it's impossible for a lady to spend too much money on shoes(the rules are slightly different for men). :D

What's wrong with is that it is a suit. :P

I'm supposed to have an office job, plus the samples, plus informally troubleshooting systems, plus a lot of walking. The other day I had to walk 3 miles because traffic around the office had coagulated to a standstill. The good news is the dress code (what there is of it) at the office is business casual, with casual Fridays.

Rationalisatons, my friend. Rationalisations. :P

Nah, seriously though, I think we have different tastes as to what is comfortable or not(however not saying that i'd wear a suit in your situation).

Women sometimes suffer to look good. Women's shows can sometimes feel and look more like elegant torture devices than simple foot coverings, and long-term use fo high heels is bad for the back. But, man, nothing in this world is more beautiful than a well-dressed woman.

I also prefer women who wear skirts, but I can see how wearing slacks is more comfrotable, particularly on a daily basis. More's the pity.

It's interesting how womens fashion throughout history has always had some sadistical elements to it. Still though, a well dressed woman who can really walk in those high heels, that's dangerously hot. Skirts are good too.

It depends on the cut. The fashionable designer labels do jeans that are meant to be seen, not worn. But the old stanbys like Levis and Lee make, loose, comfortable jeans with plenty of pockets. Also, since they take a lot of abuse, you don't have to be careful wearing them. They wash easy, last a long time and rarely tear or fray.

It seems tight slim-fit jeans with tapered legs are very much in fashion now, which is something I really hate. I think it gives an effeminate dandy-look, plus I can barely get those jeans over my legs anyway. So, I buy jeans with a comfort fit - which can still be a bit too tight until I wear them in. However, even if the jeans are loose I still find them uncomfortable. It has more to do with the frabric. Slacks are softer, lighter and breathe better.

I can see myself wearing a fedora, but not with the other kind of indy dressy-punk fashion that goes with it, at least here in Toronto.

It's a little strange, but I'm starting to get into a more formal look. Used to be straight jeans and tshirt. Evolved to jeans and casual button shirt. Moving to less casual button shirt and jeans. Now I'm thinking of going to buy Dockers-type pants and shirts. And I'm actually excited to wear a shirt and tie for my career eventually. I look good in all of it.

But actual dress suits I'm still leery of. The suit jackets never wear properly because I have uneven shoulders, and the pants always seem too baggy at the knees and/or ankles.

The suit jackets never wear properly because I have uneven shoulders, and the pants always seem too baggy at the knees and/or ankles.

You can always have suits altered, or, if you can afford it, have them custom made. It can be relatively inexpensive to have a good suit made, particularly if one orders it from a tailor in say, Hong Kong. Such suits are also far more comfortable generally.

You can always have suits altered, or, if you can afford it, have them custom made. It can be relatively inexpensive to have a good suit made, particularly if one orders it from a tailor in say, Hong Kong. Such suits are also far more comfortable generally.

I was already planning on trying to get some custom suits while I'm down in Maldives/Sri Lanka :D Thanks for the tip though!

I think fiting issues are common for both men and women with ready to wear clothes. As I understand it the sowing patterns are made for scalability, so that the clothes can be made in many different sizes and still retain the same kind of fit and shape.

Patterns have to be scaled up or down. The means for doing so is not quite standarized, meaning there are minor differences between manufacturers. If you take two blouses of the same size by two diferent designers, chances are one will fit better than the other. And when you take into consideration things such as elastics, stretchable fabrics, extra fabric, cuts, even fastenings, among other things, the differences may grow more.

Nah, seriously though, I think we have different tastes as to what is comfortable or not(however not saying that i'd wear a suit in your situation).

Of course, I find comfortable clothes comfortable and you do not :D