Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand Lecture in Toronto April 8.

Rate this topic

Ted

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I must apologise. It has been so long since I have even visited this site. I even had to reset my password but I do have some good news for those of you in the Toronto area. I have organized a lecture and the speaker will be Elan Journo of the Ayn Rand Institute. If you are in the area or know someone living in this area, please forward them this lecture description. Thank you.

Ted Harlson.

----------------------------------------------------------

What Is America’s Stake in the Arab-Israeli Conflict?

A talk at the Travelodge Hotel, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Who: Elan Journo, resident fellow at the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights

What: A talk explaining what a self-interested policy would be like for America in this conflict. An open Q&A will follow.

Where: EatonVille Room 1. Travelodge Hotel, 925 Dixon Road, Toronto, Ontario M9W 1J8

For maps and directions, see http://www.travelodge.com

When: Wednesday, April 8, 2009, at 7 p.m.

Description: Many people claim that U.S. policy regarding the Arab-Israeli conflict has been destructive of our security--and that a change in direction is urgently needed. Echoing many of his predecessors and legions of commentators, President Obama has announced plans to make dealing with the Arab-Israeli conflict a “key diplomatic priority” of his administration.

What kind of policy toward that ongoing conflict is actually in America’s interests? What policy can enhance U.S. security? What in fact have been the effects of Washington’s policy? Has it been unfair? If so, to whom--the Arab-Palestinian side, or Israel? In a presentation addressing these and other questions, Elan Journo of the Ayn Rand Institute will offer a secular moral case for principled U.S. support of Israel.

Admission: Open to the public. Admittance is $25, students $10.

Parking: Discounted rate of $6 dollars per vehicle. Let the front desk know you are there for the meeting and the parking discount will apply for the evening.

Bio: Elan Journo is a resident fellow at the Ayn Rand Center for Individual Rights, focusing on foreign policy issues. His op-eds have appeared in such publications as the Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, Houston Chronicle, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Chicago Sun-Times, and the Orange County Register. Mr. Journo’s articles have also been published in major newspapers abroad, including Australia’s Herald Sun and Canberra Times and Canada’s Globe and Mail. Mr. Journo is also a contributing writer for The Objective Standard, a quarterly journal of culture and politics. Mr. Journo lectures at college campuses and has given numerous radio interviews on foreign policy and the threat of Islamic totalitarianism.

For more information on this talk, please e-mail Ted Harlson at [email protected].

Please note: The above event is organized, hosted and sponsored by an Objectivist community group. Although ARI encourages community groups, they are organizations independent of ARI

Sincerely,

The Ayn Rand Institute

This is good news but I can't help but wonder why such an American centric topic for a lecture in Canada?

I'm not saying that the topic isn't important but if the hope is to spread Objectivism talking to Canadians about Canadian problems with regard to our foreign relations, our involvement in Afghanistan and the middle east would be a much more effective platform.

Would ARI expect a lot of Americans to show up for a lecture in Dallas on France's involvement in Kosovo?

Sadly this isn't the only example of the Ameri-centric nature of the ARI. ARI Canada is in Vancouver and is little more than a store front which directs all inquiries back to California.

It's a disappointing choice to say the least. I won't be driving 5 hours for that. I might have for a lecture of general interest with regard to Objectivism or that dealt with real issues facing me in my country.

I hope it goes well, regardless.

ahhhhh man, I would love to go but it would be over by the time I got there using the TTC :D Could you by any chance forward me to your organizations website, Ted, so I can be in the loop? Thanks at least for organizing the event here in Toronto, I've been wondering lately if any events are held here.

I attended. Elan Journo is extremely impressive. The actual talk was a little bit too short. However, he more than made up for it in the Q&A. Eventually I was so excited it was hard for me to speak properly; I felt stupid at some moments. But overall I was quite interactive and asked some good questions which got some good answers. Elan is quite a gentleman and very friendly and generous with his mind.

By the way, the ride on TTC, even in rush hour, is an hour to an hour and a half.

If he comes again, I believe the location will be more central.

Bus + Downsview + Kipling + Bus to Person = 2hrs :)

I believe I found the Toronto groups website finally. I think it didn't come up earlier because I used "toronto objectivism" not "objectivist".

Edited by Chris.S