Objectivism Online Forum

Atlas in staking?

Rate this topic

I have mentioned on this site that I have only read Atlas shrugged in my native language.

However while browsing the site of the Ayn Rand Institute looking if other books were in my language I found this.

Dutch

De eeuwige bron (The Fountainhead)

Uitgeverij Luitingh~Sijthoff

If only the fountainhead is mentioned by them then how does this book exist?

I looked a bit further and even saw old Dutch Anthem and a very old We the Living.

Hodgepodge libertarian efforts?

Edited by FrolicsomeQuipster

I believe Atlas Shrugged is under copyright in the EU, so it has to be an approved translation. That doesn't mean it's accurate though, I think Ayn Rand's estate often approves translations unless they have a specific reason not to, because there's no way they could make sure translations into every language are accurate.

As an aside, does this sentence (off that page you linked to) mean Rand's novels are associated with the neo-con movement: "De romans van Ayn Rand worden nog steeds veel verkocht en gelezen, vooral in neoconservatieve kring." ?

(I'm kinda applying my limited knowledge of German to a text that's in Dutch, so I'm pretty much just guessing it's something like that. I could be completely off.)

I believe Atlas Shrugged is under copyright in the EU, so it has to be an approved translation. That doesn't mean it's accurate though, I think Ayn Rand's estate often approves translations unless they have a specific reason not to, because there's no way they could make sure translations into every language are accurate.

As an aside, does this sentence (off that page you linked to) mean Rand's novels are associated with the neo-con movement: "De romans van Ayn Rand worden nog steeds veel verkocht en gelezen, vooral in neoconservatieve kring." ?

(I'm kinda applying my limited knowledge of German to a text that's in Dutch, so I'm pretty much just guessing it's something like that. I could be completely off.)

Well, they're saying that her novels are still sold and read in high numbers, especially in neoconservative circles. I think to some extent that is probably true. Just by itself that doesn't mean that her novels are neoconservative in nature, or anything like that. Maybe some people would get that impression, though.

Thanks, I don't remember anything bad about the translation tough.

And that may have been an almost automatic smear by association there, but then again real O-ist's are even rarer here.

Well, they're saying that her novels are still sold and read in high numbers, especially in neoconservative circles. I think to some extent that is probably true.

Except for the neo part. Her works are read in conservative circles, the neocons have taken a sharp departure away from her philosophy. Thank for clearing that up, it makes more sense now.