Objectivism Online Forum

What did Obama actually say?

Rate this topic

JJJJ

I was reading a free finnish daily newspaper that you get at the subway, and it had a short mention about something Obama had said in a speech that was directed to Arab leaders. I dont remember if the speech was in Turkey, or somewhere else. Anyway, translated from finnish, the article said, that Obama had said to Arab leaders that "...the situation in the Middle East is not entirely/completely Israel's fault".

For the sake of everyone, i hope that something got lost in translation, because if he actually said that(implying that most or at least a whole lot of the situation in the Middle East is Israels fault), it must be one of the most f-ed up things any US president has ever said.

Anyway, translated from finnish, the article said, that Obama had said to Arab leaders that "...the situation in the Middle East is not entirely/completely Israel's fault".

Here is a transcript of his speech. I did a search for "israel" and didn't see that particular comment. One can argue that he might have that attitude, but I don't see where he came right out and said it. He did say that both the Israelis and the Palestinians must strive for peace, which rather implies that it is part Israel's fault.

Although the Vice President is definitely telling Israel not to defend itself against Iranian nukes.

"U.S. Vice President Joe Biden issued a high-level warning to the Israeli government, saying it would be "ill-advised" to carry out a military strike against Iranian nuclear sites."

But, Israel knows where it stands:

"You don't want a messianic apocalyptic cult controlling atomic bombs," Netanyahu said, underscoring the concern he has for the Israeli-Palestinian peace process and Iran.

When the wide-eyed believer gets hold of the reins of power and the weapons of mass death, then the entire world should start worrying. That is what is happening in Iran."

Because someone who believes in the Old Testament is better???

Um, yes. Netanyahu is MUCH MUCH MUUUCH better than Ahmedanijad. And while both are absolute tripe, the Old Testament (especially how it's interpreted by most Jews today) is far better than the Koran. George Washington was a religious man too. Doesn't mean you can't have a certain amount of respect for him. The same applies here. Sure, Netanyahu is no Washington and has his own set of philosophical faults, but he's also got some serious virtues too i.e. his intollerance of islamic totalitarianism and his advocacy of a free-er market.

George Washington was a religious man too.

It's hard to tell two centuries later, but apparently he wasn't. He never participated in church services (when he attended he sat in the back and did not take communion), he refused to be attended by clergy when he died.

The religious right is trying to obscure these facts.

I just found it odd that someone who can't stand Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck and the like would like Netanyahu. Personally, I can find some good in each of them.

And what is that one issue?

John Link

It's continued existence in the region as a positive force. Netanyahu is no more religious than the other major candidates, so it's a bit irrelevant. And he is very good on foreign policy.