Objectivism Online Forum

Rational Love Quotes

Rate this topic

I'm seeking some good rational quotes about love that exemplify my vales. I don't want to limit them only to Ayn Rand. Although she has some beautiful quotes about love and I'm open to them, I would like a little variety in the source of my quotes. Below are some of the quotes I've come up with so far. If anyone has anything to add to the mix I would love to see them.

To love is to value. Only a rationally selfish man, a man of self-esteem, is capable of love - because he is the only man capable of holding firm, consistent, uncompromising, unbetrayed values. The man who does not value himself, cannot value anything or anyone.

-- Ayn Rand

Love is the condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.

--Robert H Heinlein

To say 'I love you' one must first be able to say the 'I.'

--Ayn Rand

Edited by Sarah Jacks

<Mr. Picky> Heinlein's middle initial is A </Mr. Picky>

For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings,

That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

-- William Shakespeare

<Mr. Picky> Heinlein's middle initial is A </Mr. Picky>

-- William Shakespeare

Duly noted, I'll take care of that. Thanks for the quote.

Duly noted, I'll take care of that. Thanks for the quote.

Mo hinline quots:

A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity.

"Love" is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own... Jealousy is a disease, love is a healthy condition. The immature mind often mistakes one for the other, or assumes that the greater the love, the greater the jealousy.

The more you love, the more you can love — and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just.

“The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history.”

“The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful.”

<Φ>aj

-- William Shakespeare

Take not lightly liberty

To have it you must live it

And like love, don't you see

To keep it you must give it

Meplat

<Φ>aj

The more you love, the more you can love — and the more intensely you love. Nor is there any limit on how many you can love. If a person had time enough, he could love all of that majority who are decent and just.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this quote reminds me of my opinion on monogamy. As I see it, polygamy/polyamory is not immoral. But for many people it is probably a poor decision for managing their time and energy.

“The most preposterous notion ...”

That's one of my favorite Heinlein quotes.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but this quote reminds me of my opinion on monogamy. As I see it, polygamy/polyamory is not immoral. But for many people it is probably a poor decision for managing their time and energy.

Polygamy/polyamory usually becomes more problematic only when consent is required.

Mo hinline quots:

Everybody lies about sex.

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful - just stupid.)

Touch is the most fundamental sense. A baby experiences it all over, before he is born and long before he learns to use sight, hearing, or taste, and no human ever ceases to need it...

A woman is not property, and husbands who think otherwise are living in a dreamworld. [And visa versa. aj]

Rub her feet.

If you don't like yourself, you can't like other people.

<Φ>aj

Victor Hugo is always fun for quotes. Here are a few I picked off the web:

"I met in the street a very poor young man who was in love. His hat was old, his coat worn, his cloak was out at the elbows, the water passed through his shoes, - and the stars through his soul."

"Nature has made a pebble and a female. The lapidary makes the diamond, and the lover makes the woman."

"The first symptom of love in a young man is timidity; in a girl boldness."

"To love is to act."

Berton Braley has some great poems about love and relationships. http://www.bertonbraley.com/subject_index_of_poems.htm (see Romantic Love section)

More good stuff about relationships, love and marriage from Leanne Bell. http://www.andtheylivedhappilyeverafter.com/

Wow, that's a gold mine of good stuff right there, from what I can tell after a quick look. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome!

With regards to Braley, I must give credit to West and/or athena...I was looking for a good book of poems to give Santiago for his birthday last year and one or both of them suggested it to me. At the time, I found a used paperback for around $35, but now I can't find it anywhere for less than $85, so I guess demand has increased since then?? Anyway, if you can find any of his books, grab em! Santiago read Negation to me during our wedding ceremony on Saturday and it was awesome! :)