Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2009

Rate this topic

Pittsburgh next week on Monday night. I can't wait!

I'm afraid you'll have to. Both the NFL.com site and the calendar from the Modelo Brewery (makers of Modelo Especial and Negra Modelo, the Queen of Beers) say The Steelers won't beat the Broncos on monday Night until Nov. 8. First the Steelers face the Browns, then the Vikings (new snad improved, now with 40% more Brett Favre), then the dreaded Bye Week (that's a lousy week for the fans), then Denver at the Mile High City which thinks a lousy 1,600 meters above sea level is actually high (go figure).

As to McDaniels the exPat (ha ha) and the current Pats, it's a quality of great coaches to surround themselves with great assistants. Some of these are good enough to become good head coaches in their own right. The problem is every other team is constantly looking to hire your assistants away, and the assistant coaches are forever looking for the big job. But Football is ultimately a firendly game and most rivalries are mostly good-natured (especially now that players change teams more often).

Of course some assistant coaches may shine as assistants or coordinators and do badly as head coaches. Dick Lebeau dind't do too well as head coach of the Bengals, but he's unparalleled as a defensive coordinator (thank god for that)

Edited by D'kian

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoops, my bad. I'm completely skipping over the Chargers next Monday and our bye week. :P

Oh, it gets better. According ot my datebook (provided by Motorola, the irritating flip-phone) Nov. 8 is a Sunday, which makes it hard to hold the MNF game then :D

Honestly I'm more worried about the Vikings than the Broncos.

As for playoff births, there was only one such event, sort of: The Tmmacualte Reception. All the rest are berths :P

heh

Possibly. The Saints won't win a Conference championship, much less a Superbowl, until they change their name to something else. I mean, what kind of name is "Saints" for a football team? Maybe if they were owned by Ned Flanders, and even then he'd admit to being corny. The problem is what to call them. The New Orleans Jazz is ridiculous, though it fits, and little else from the region befits a football team. Maybe the New Orleans Gators.

I actually like their chances right now, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. It wouldn't be the first time they disappointed :D. Really though, when was the last time that they had a good quarterback?

I don't really have a problem with their name, and can't imagine them as anything else. The Catholics have a long history there, so I think it's kind of fitting from that perspective. I've never really thought about the name being weak or anything until you brought it up. Now I'll think about it whenever I hear them mentioned.

I actually like their chances right now, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season. It wouldn't be the first time they disappointed :D. Really though, when was the last time that they had a good quarterback?

1971 through 82 they had Archie Manning. He was no Drew Brees, true, but he made two pro bowls (back when fans didn't vote in the players) and once led the NFC in passing yards. He lacked a team to go with his skills.

I don't really have a problem with their name, and can't imagine them as anything else.

It's not just the name, the color scheme is terrible. And what's the Fleur de lis have to do with saints?

The Catholics have a long history there, so I think it's kind of fitting from that perspective.

True, and also with the habitual blasphemy of Louisiana's Catholics. But that's no excuse.

I've never really thought about the name being weak or anything until you brought it up. Now I'll think about it whenever I hear them mentioned.

Ah, my job here is done :)

I missed most of last night's MNF game due to work, but I managed to catch the whole 4th quarter. That was quite a game. I was wrong about the Wildcat being a fad. Miami's refining it to a high art, much like Wisenhunt does with the trick reverse or Landry did, in his time, with the Shotgun formation. It's still odd to see offensive plays launch sometimes without a QB on the field, or with the QB lined up as a WR.

The Phins beat the Jets 31-27 in the last ten seconds of play. Mark Sanchez got to throw a Hail Mary Pass™, which did as much good as most such passes ever do, which is to say none. Ah, but such is the relentless nature of the NFL offense. Never give up.

Miami's still 2-3, which is bad, but given the divsion they're in, and the way the backup QB Chad Henne is playing, I will revise my earlier write-off and state they stand a chance of making the playoffs. I just jope it doesn't come up to the last game, because that's against Pittsburgh and Miami can't possibly win.

See you next week.

Well, Kansas City blew its chance to win a game. They did well enough, even forcing the game into overtime, but they coulnd't defeat the Cowboys. Better luck next time. On the other hand, the teams wore retro uniforms, with KC sporting the old Texans logo. Remember that was the franchise that launched the old AFL and changed the NFL to what we know today.

Emphasis mine. Yeah. :D

Emphasis mine. Yeah. B)

Upon further review, it seems the KC Chiefs did believe themselves to eb the Dallas Texans for the game, therefore they didn't quite know if they were playing for or against Dallas.

Now, that's lame and ludicrous as snarky rebuttals come, but better than being proud to beat a bottom-of-the-bottom-of-the-barrel team (no, that's not a typo).

:)

I missed most of last night's MNF game due to work, but I managed to catch the whole 4th quarter. That was quite a game. I was wrong about the Wildcat being a fad. Miami's refining it to a high art, much like Wisenhunt does with the trick reverse or Landry did, in his time, with the Shotgun formation. It's still odd to see offensive plays launch sometimes without a QB on the field, or with the QB lined up as a WR.

I missed the game but I heard Ronnie Brown actually threw a pass on Monday. All he has to do is throw once a game to keep the defense thinking about it, and once in a while move the QB in at the last second, the way the stupid Broncos did all game against the Pats. It drove me crazy, but it actually worked. I'm sure that's gonna be done by other teams now.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Btw, on a more serious note, I hope Rush Limbaugh gets the Rams. Once again, underhanded leftists are out to smear someone they disagree with politically, but I think this time they're picking on the wrong guy.

I estimate his chances of getting the Rams as larger than zero but a great deal smaller than "in your dreams!" In other words I'll be very surprised if he can buy the team.

It is too bad because sports shouldn't be mixed with politics. Politicians come and go, but the NFL remains itself.

A few years ago Tom Clancy attempted to buy, if memory serves, the Vikings along with some partners. Nothing came from that, either.

I estimate his chances of getting the Rams as larger than zero but a great deal smaller than "in your dreams!" In other words I'll be very surprised if he can buy the team.

It is too bad because sports shouldn't be mixed with politics. Politicians come and go, but the NFL remains itself.

A few years ago Tom Clancy attempted to buy, if memory serves, the Vikings along with some partners. Nothing came from that, either.

I think Rush has it right, if it were a left winger he'd have no problem. For example, I doubt Michael Moore would face such an opposition.

I think Rush has it right, if it were a left winger he'd have no problem.

I agree. But that has nothing to do with what his chances are.

I know there are League rules for selling teams and such. The only reason Al Davies owns a team is he set up an AFL franchise, not an NFL one. Had he wanted to buy the Raiders post-merger, he'd have been rebuffed, too.

For example, I doubt Michael Moore would face such an opposition.

Not from the MSM. But you might see a great deal of opposition int he right-wing blogs. If nothing else they'd call him a hypocrite for criticizing capitalism and then buying into big business (of course they already call him a hypocrite for just that reason).

The players union wouldn't oppose him which is likely what you meant.

You know, I respect the NFL, but sometimes I wish someone could compete successfully against it (we'd also get more Football). The latest challenger is the UFL, which stands for somethign or other. I rpedict it will go the way of the XFL, USFL and WFL. Maybe someday.

It's not just the name, the color scheme is terrible. And what's the Fleur de lis have to do with saints?

It's used in France to indicate the Holy Trinity. Seems like a pretty perfect symbol.

I think Rush has it right, if it were a left winger he'd have no problem. For example, I doubt Michael Moore would face such an opposition.

If Rush weren't Rush (a hot-headed, idiotic pundit) he'd have a chance at getting a team. I'm glad he's not getting my hometown team.

If Rush weren't Rush (a hot-headed, idiotic pundit) he'd have a chance at getting a team. I'm glad he's not getting my hometown team.

But would he have the money?

BTW I wouldn't call someone idiotic while defending the Rams. You know, the team that fired Kurt Warner :wub:

Your claim that he is a "hot-headed, idiotic pundit" is hot headed and idiotic. It's mindless commentary based purely in ignorance. In the name of justice and decency, I hope he gets the team.

Agreed, there are many conservative team owners.

He's being attacked because he is outspoken and very popular. It's the liberal press and punditry attacking him and smearing him, for crying out loud.

I'll give you a clue, liberals do not deal with people they disagree with based on ideas, they lie about and smear them. This is what is going on. How can you not know this?

But would he have the money?

BTW I wouldn't call someone idiotic while defending the Rams. You know, the team that fired Kurt Warner :wub:

No, he wouldn't. Also, the Rams won a superbowl and fired a quarterback in order to build a franchise around a new QB. Warner hasn't done much since, besides a lucky trip to the Super Bowl. (Missed the playoffs every other year)

Your claim that he is a "hot-headed, idiotic pundit" is hot headed and idiotic. It's mindless commentary based purely in ignorance. In the name of justice and decency, I hope he gets the team.

He didn't, they didn't even really consider it they said "absolutely not."

In the name of decency, here are some Rush Limbaugh quotes... let me know if you still think I'm "basing it purely in ignorance".

"Why should Blacks be heard? They're 12% of the population. Who the hell cares."

"I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

Here's a few NFL ones... so you know why they would rather not have Limbaugh introduced into their club.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve."

"Look, let me put it to you this way: the NFL all too often looks like a game between the Bloods and the Crips without any weapons. There, I said it."

"He is exaggerating the effects of the disease. He's moving all around and shaking and it's purely an act. ... This is really shameless of Michael J. Fox. Either he didn't take his medication or he's acting.

"Too many whites are getting away with drug use...Too many whites are getting away with drug sales...The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them, and send them up the river, too."

... then he admits in 2003 that he is one of those "getting away with it".

The man is a complete imbecile that thrives off of this kind of talk to pander to the ignorant. People that are angry with the world eat out of his hand without really hearing what he says.

You don't sound like a Rams fan. If he was trying to buy the Patriots, I would be horrified. He has no experience, he's more interested in media and politics than the sport and the business behind it, and he doesn't necessarily have the money to guarantee a stable ownership, long term.

Also, does he really have the moey to even buy the Rams? How much would that purchase set you back?

In the name of decency, here are some Rush Limbaugh quotes... let me know if you still think I'm "basing it purely in ignorance".

"Why should Blacks be heard? They're 12% of the population. Who the hell cares."

"I mean, let’s face it, we didn’t have slavery in this country for over 100 years because it was a bad thing. Quite the opposite: slavery built the South. I’m not saying we should bring it back; I’m just saying it had its merits. For one thing, the streets were safer after dark."

The man is a complete imbecile that thrives off of this kind of talk to pander to the ignorant. People that are angry with the world eat out of his hand without really hearing what he says.

In the name of the level of discussion on this forum, take your quotes from credible sources, or even better start relying on audio, since he's supposed to have said these things on the radio, and then get back to us with your "evidence".

And yes, I'm only interested in audio of these first ones (and any others you found in the book "101 People Who Are Really Screwing America", or other leftist propaganda) , the rest are either jokes or small exaggerations only the PC police would mind.