Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2009

Rate this topic

The Cowboys aren't playing this week.

You can tell because it was their best week :) (oh, I am quoting an actual Cowboys fan. Well, paraphrasing him. he asked whom the Cowboys played this week. When i said they had a bye, he said "Oh, then they'll definitely ahve a good week." there)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can tell because it was their best week :) (oh, I am quoting an actual Cowboys fan. Well, paraphrasing him. he asked whom the Cowboys played this week. When i said they had a bye, he said "Oh, then they'll definitely ahve a good week." there)

You can try and dress it up all nice and pretty (that's Cowboy talk), but it's not working.

No comment. :P

But saying "no comment" is a comment :P

Any word on the Broncos and Chargers yet?

BTW had anyone said as recently as three weeks ago they favored a Superbowl between the Broncos and Saints, he'd ahve been laughed off the forum and into a corner. Now... I love this League. It's one long, sustained surprise B)

We interrupt the current flame war to report what is actually going on in the league...

I'll post more later, but, wow, the Saints may overcome the reverse-curse of their name. They didn't just beat the Giants, they flattened them.

Meanwhile the Vikings tried very hard to hand the game over to the Ravens, but the Ravens refused to cooperate.

More later.

Yeah, they were definitely on point. Drew Brees has really made his mark this year. And yes, it's a big, embarrassing loss for the Giants, but I'm not worried about them losing their division B)

Yeah, they were definitely on point. Drew Brees has really made his mark this year. And yes, it's a big, embarrassing loss for the Giants, but I'm not worried about them losing their division B)

Oh, of course not. not agains the inconstant Cowboys, the Eagles that coulnd't beat the Raiders, and the Team That Used To Be The Washington Redskins. I woulnd't be surprised is they clinch the division by week 12.

And yes, it's a big, embarrassing loss for the Giants

I don't think it was a big deal, or embarassing. It was an away game, of very little consequence as far as winning the division (which should be easy), and they had a rough start on defense, because they failed to pressure the QB from the beginning (the reason for that, I think, was the fact that they had such an easy time shutting down other passing games, in the previous games)

Nothing that can't be fixed, with a change in strategy, toward the end of the season. In my opinion, they are still contenders for the title, and the Saints are still a long shot. While they have an amazing offense, the defense is not necessarily great just because they stopped the Giants this one time.

I don't think it was a big deal, or embarassing. It was an away game, of very little consequence as far as winning the division (which should be easy), and they had a rough start on defense, because they failed to pressure the QB from the beginning (the reason for that, I think, was the fact that they had such an easy time shutting down other passing games, in the previous games)

None of which changes the fact they were pounded flat by the New Orleans Ain'ts.

Reputations count a lot. While the Saints have become a better team over the last few years, they still carry the stigma of many losing seasons and of a general inability to do well in the playoffs. So losing against them that badly is embarrasing for any team, especially for a team with a long winning tradition like the Giants.

Had they lsot the same way to this year's Raiders, the loss wouldn't hurt them as much.

Oh, the Saints will shake their bad rep the day they reach a Superbowl, just like the Cards and the Falcons have done.

Nothing that can't be fixed, with a change in strategy, toward the end of the season. In my opinion, they are still contenders for the title, and the Saints are still a long shot. While they have an amazing offense, the defense is not necessarily great just because they stopped the Giants this one time.

Agreed, one game doesn't prove the Saitns ahve a great defense. However, it does prove they ahve a good defense that can stop even the Giants. No one team can win every time or play well every time. Maybe NY had a bad day, maybe New Orleans had a great day. nad just maybe the Saints know how to pound the Giants flat.

Interesting week, if not particualrly surprising.

1) The Steelers beat the Vikings, Brett Favre and all. It was really a defensive duel, and the Steelers always win such games. In fact, the defense scored 14 points, while the Vikes' defesne didn't score at all. Their offense was held down to 10 points, Brett Favre and all. They scored a last TD with special teams, but that wasn't enough.

2) The Saints beat the Dolphins, even though the Dolphins scored 34 points. That's a terrible way to lose, scoring so many points. Which leads me to warn the badly named team to be wary of good defenses.

3) The Cardinals beat the Giants. That's a bit of a surprise. It also raises some questions: is Arizona a team good enough to beat the likes of the Giants, or are the Giants in decline now?

On other news, another regular season game was played in London. The Commisioner says he'd like to ahve more than one season game in England, and maybe even add an NFL Franchise in London (roll eyes, no wait: :dough: there!) Granted London is not that far away from the US East coast, but would you like to fly from Denver, Oakland, San Diego or Seattle to London prior to a game there? That's a pretty big home field advantage.

Besides, not too long ago the Cards and 49ers played a regular season game in Mexico City. The NFL Commisioner said he'd like to see otehr such games in Mexico every year, and maybe even place an NFL franchise in this country. That sounds terribly familiar.

How about getting a franchise to America's second largest TV market first? then we'll talk.

Interesting week, if not particualrly surprising.

1) The Steelers beat the Vikings, Brett Favre and all. It was really a defensive duel, and the Steelers always win such games. In fact, the defense scored 14 points, while the Vikes' defesne didn't score at all. Their offense was held down to 10 points, Brett Favre and all. They scored a last TD with special teams, but that wasn't enough.

Not there.

2) The Saints beat the Dolphins, even though the Dolphins scored 34 points. That's a terrible way to lose, scoring so many points. Which leads me to warn the badly named team to be wary of good defenses.

No, not here either.

Btw, the Dolphins are badly named?

3) The Cardinals beat the Giants. That's a bit of a surprise. It also raises some questions: is Arizona a team good enough to beat the likes of the Giants, or are the Giants in decline now?

Not here.

Don't look now, but the Cardinals have won three in a row.

On other news, another regular season game was played in London. The Commisioner says he'd like to ahve more than one season game in England, and maybe even add an NFL Franchise in London (roll eyes, no wait: :dough: there!) Granted London is not that far away from the US East coast, but would you like to fly from Denver, Oakland, San Diego or Seattle to London prior to a game there? That's a pretty big home field advantage.

Not here.

Yeah, I think we'd need faster aircraft for that!

Besides, not too long ago the Cards and 49ers played a regular season game in Mexico City. The NFL Commisioner said he'd like to see otehr such games in Mexico every year, and maybe even place an NFL franchise in this country. That sounds terribly familiar.

How about getting a franchise to America's second largest TV market first? then we'll talk.

And not here!

Oh well, another day at the office, another win. It's a beautiful thing. B)

Top QBs who never won a Superbowl.

In their Top Ten series, NFL Network recently did a Top 10 Coaches who never won a championship. It featured the likes of Jim Mora, Chuck Knox, Jeff Fisher, etc. I proppose to list the top quarterbacks who never won a Superbowl (so we remain withing the era starting in the late 60s). My list allows the inclusion of QBs whose teams won a Superbowl, but in which the QB dind't play (the example is Drew Beldsoe). So:

Archie Manning, who sadly wasted his talents playing for the New Orleans Ain'ts

Dan Marino, who never was supported by a decent running game.

Fran Tarkenton, who had the missfortune to play with the Vikings

Dan Pastorini, who butted heads with the Steel Curtain twice in the AFC championship

Ken Anderson of the Bengals.

Craig Morton, late of the Cowboys and Broncos, and who managed to lose a Superbowl with each team.

Dan Fouts of the Chargers

I'm not sure whether to add Drew Bledsoe. On the one hand he dind't play in the big game, but he did play some regular season games and one playoff game, which means he contributed to the team's success. Likewise Jay Schroeder of the Redskins.

I also think it's a bit premature to add Tony Romo, but that is the way to bet.

And not here!

Look, beating a team that has never managed to string two winning seasons ina row is nothing to write home about.

There! :P

Oh, and you know the Saints are the badly named team.

The Dolphins have a good name. Bottle nosed dolphins (which is what's pictured in the helmets) are tough, agile, fast and smart animals who regularly fend off fearsome predators. If they ever move the team inland, they'll need a new name.

Don't look now, but the Cardinals have won three in a row.

I wasn't looking. No one was. Some teams remain unpopular even after winning the Superbowl (Ravens), and Arizona hasn't managed that just yet. Menaing the only times they appear widely on TV outside of the desert is when they play on Sunday night, Monday night, Thursdays and playoffs.

Yeah, I think we'd need faster aircraft for that!

Woulnd't it be a kick if someone finally developed a viable supersonic aircraft just for the NFL?

Me, I favor a floating tunnel in the Atlantic running hypersonic maglev trains (it's as feasible now as a trip to the Moon was in the 1920s) NYC to London in about one hour.

Look, beating a team that has never managed to string two winning seasons ina row is nothing to write home about.

There! :P

I found this:

[Letter]

Dear Mom,

We just won a game against the Falcons on Sunday. This was a good win for us! Yeah!

Love,

Tony

[/Letter]

:P

Oh, and you know the Saints are the badly named team.

It's not what I would have called my team. I've always thought the "Dragons" would be a good name for a football team, but nobody has gone the fantasy character route yet.

The Dolphins have a good name. Bottle nosed dolphins (which is what's pictured in the helmets) are tough, agile, fast and smart animals who regularly fend off fearsome predators. If they ever move the team inland, they'll need a new name.

And man can they throw the football! I went to a water show once and they had a dolphin bat a football with its tail ... *BAM* it was like a howitzer shot right against the bleachers. Yeow!

I found this:

I'm not going to pretend to do a letter from Mrs. Romo, as that would be both cruel and childish. I'll just say Tony should save his postage for when he actually wins a playoff game.

It's not what I would have called my team. I've always thought the "Dragons" would be a good name for a football team, but nobody has gone the fantasy character route yet.

There was a Barcelona Dragons team in the short-lived NFL Europe experiment some years ago (I'm sure there were franchises in the US, too, and the league had a different name for a while. as I recall it was a bust.)

And man can they throw the football! I went to a water show once and they had a dolphin bat a football with its tail ... *BAM* it was like a howitzer shot right against the bleachers. Yeow!

Yeah, but their running game stinks :P

So you see Miami picked the perfect name (with apologies to Larry Czonka(sp?) and Ronnie Brown).

Week 7 recedes into the mists of the past. Next week will be dull, as the Steelers are having a bye week. Nevertheless, Favre goes to Green Bay, the Giants visit the Eagles, the Jets receive the Dolphins and St. Louis has its best chance to snap a losing streak of epic proportions when they visit the Lions. Next week is officially mid-season, but I'll wait until every team has 8 games to issue a mid-season wild-assed prediction for the playoffs and likely Superbowl contenders.

As for the dead week 7, all that remains is to say it was sadly the Titans' best week: they didn't lose.

Meanshile in California the Governator signed something or other to authorize the building of a brand new stadium in LA, allegedly to be privately financed (yeah, right), with the intent to lure an NFL franchise (they should ask the City of Houston about their cruise terminal while they're at it).

A brand new stadium is a good lure, although not too ahrd to come by. wait til the economy recovers, and you'll see a dozen municipalities voting themselves into more debt to lure an NFL team.

Anyway, which team is likely to move to LA? there's talk of the Jacksonville Jaguars, who have a poor attendance record at home games (seeing how badly they play), some talk about the Raiders (seeing as the old Oakland stadum is, well, old), and a mild rumor about the Rams returning home (not a chance).

Which begs the question: don't any successful teams ever move? Oh, right. They don't.

On other news, the largely unkown UFL (United Football League) is up and running somewhere in America. And remember the old USFL? Well, there are plans afoot to revive it <sigh>

To be fair, the USFL did give the NFL a run for its money, which was ultimately aprt of its undoing. It lured major talents away. Many talented rookies drafted by bad tems, such as Jim kelly with the Bills, fled to the greener pastures of the USFL, where the playing fields were made of greenbacks rather than grass or green rugs (or so it seemed). The teams spent so much on players, when they had so little revenue, they all went broke.

Talk of revival includes a salary cap (duh). But as far as I know there's no firm talk about TV deals. Without TV income, it's all so much a pie in the sky idea.

I saw a few USFL games. Mostly I wasn't impressed, despite the realtive abundance of talent. I recall the teams had really weird names, like Chicago Blitz, LA Express, Memphis Showboats (wow!), Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers, Orlando Renegades and Philadelphia Stars.

We'll see, perhaps.

High points of week 8:

Denver finally lost. 6-1 isn't a bad record, but the way they lost makes one wonder whether Denver has what it takes to take on a good defense. We'll know more when they lose against the Steelers next Monday.

The Giants lost badly again. granted the Eagles are a good team, but they pretty much walked all over the Giants the same way New Orleans did. Now the speculation starts about how good the Giants really are.

Speaking of New York, the Jets lost agains the Dolphins again. This is very bad for them, as now Miami beats them handily in the first tie-breaking criterion. Better win the division (good luck!)

Likewise Favre (possibly with some help from the Vikings, but you wouldn't know that from listening to the NFLNet commentators with a man-crush on Number 4) swept the Packers. Well, not much danger of the Pack tying with the Vikes, really.

Lastly New Orleans and Atlanta played one of the weirdest games yet. Lots of turnovers, lots of lost opportunities by the Falcons. And even so the game did come down to the last possible play, thanks to NO's last turnover.

And the Rams prooved they're not the League's worst team by beating the Lions.

By all indications this should be the Cowboys' year. They have a strong team (who said that?), they beat the Eagles at Philly and the Giants are melting down like cotton candy in the rain. So the question is, what will be Romo's excuse this year? We'll wait and see.

The Ravens' loss to Cincinnati just makes the Broncos look a lot iffier (is that a word) than they were last week. All signs point to a loss by Denver later today, but again we'll have to wait and see. The Steelers ahve shown they can lose games they shoulnd't, especially when they are winning.

The Texans gave Indy a run for their money, and maybe scared them, but in the end they missed tying the game in a badly run last ditch offense (that play before the field goal was a huge mistake).

The Dolphins need to seriously rebuild. They just can't ride the wildcat to a winning season and a playoff appearance as they did last year.

The Saints remain undefeated (and badly named), but I still don't think much of them. And I won't until they do something significant post-season. Like the Cardinals did.

The Bucs finally scraped up together a victory. Good for them. They wore a throwback uniform, too, the infamous ice-cream uniform. I actually liked that old uniform better. The pastel colors are much in use in Florida, after all. I just didn't like the flamboyant bucanneer (if that's what it was) stamped on the white helmet. Most people thought the pastel orange made them look like posicles.

Tennessee, meantime, won a second game somehow. It may be that Vince Young was the answer, or it may be luck. Either way their season is long over and they should look towards 2010. So either keep Young or look for a replacement quickly, assuming that Collins is done for.

The Broncos played an excellent first half against the Steelers. it's too bad they didn't really show up for the second half (on second thought, not that bad).

Seriously, the Denver offense acomplished nothing in the second half, while the defense failed to stop Pittsburgh. Sure, they had one interception (which yielded nothing), and a good play by the defense let them ahve the ball and 7 points. But that was it. Pittsburgh pretty much did as it wanted all through the second half offensively.

Denver's still a good team with a good game plan, and it should make the playoffs this year. But it's showing where its weaknesses are, and has the Chargers charging hard after the division.

The Steelers go for the rematch against the Bengals next week. I predict a hard game, maybe along the Steelers-Raiders games of old (not a pretty sight at all).

BTW in the top ten QBs who never won a Superbowl, we all overlookoed Jim Kelly of Buffallo.