Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2009

Rate this topic

The Packers played the last game in AZ, too.

The did? Well, my mistake. I wasn't paying that much attention to it. It had no bearing on whether the Steelers qualified :)

It was interesting to see the two coaching philosophies. Arizona went into the game with the idea that it's best to rest their starters and show as little of their playbook as possible, while Green Bay decided to stay hot (they didn't seem to blitz as much as usual, but in general they did what they've been doing all year).

I expected both to rest their starters, since neither had anything to play for. But it amkes sense for the Packers to play, because Rodgers is still inexperienced (second year int he League, IIRC). On the Cards' side, the players are veterans, many of them Super Bowl veterans to boot.

So, here are my predictions for the playoffs:

The New Orleans Saints will lose in the divisional playoffs. They've been declining and lack playoff experience. The Colts will lose int he divisional round, too, as the starters will be rusty and out of practice. San Diego will play hard and probably will go to the AFC championship. The Vikes will manage to screw things up somehow.

I predict, tentatively, a Super Bowl between the Cardinals or Eagles in the NFC vs the Chargers or Pats in the AFC. I'd love to see the Cards beat the Patriots in Miami.

On other things, Jim Zorn is already out of a job and Washington is talking to Mike Shanahan. There are reports that Bill Cowher is talking to the Bills, and to Tampa Bay. And I predict the Browns and the Raiders will start talking to prospective candidates soon. Maybe also the Texans.

I understand the logic of picking a Super Bowl winning coach, but the fact is not a single head coach has won Super Bowls for two teams. Some have come close (Don Shule and Dan Reeves), but none have done it, nor are any likely to. The exception would be John Gruden, who's still very young.

More on young Super Bowl winners soon.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict, tentatively, a Super Bowl between the Cardinals or Eagles in the NFC vs the Chargers or Pats in the AFC. I'd love to see the Cards beat the Patriots in Miami.

I have to admit, I'm leaning toward those pesky Patriots too. That team knows how to win.

The Pats? With that defense? I think not.

AFC I'm thinking Indy, and NFC probably the Vikes though I'd much prefer to see the Pack.

I'm quite confident about Indy's and NO's dim prospects. The Pats, well, I forgot the injury to Welker, and their defense isn't that good. So I'm leaning more towards the Chargers now. Cincinnati has been in decline, the Ravens are hard to read, and the Jets know how to miss an opportunity.

In the NFC I'm rooting for the Cards.That side, I'd like to see the Eagles crushed (because of Michael Vick, nothign personal), but not by the Cowboys. besides, the Cowboys won't win a playoff game, I've a bet on that ;) The Vikings are like the Jets, with one less 40 year-old Super Bowl. The Packers still haven't gotten over the loss of Favre.

So that leaves the Pats or Chargers vs the Cards or Eagles. Maybe the Ravens on the AFC and maybe the Cowboys on the NFC, if they can win a playoff game. I still doubt the Dallas team. I mean, they may win a plsyof game, but no way in hell they'll win three.

I'm quite confident about Indy's and NO's dim prospects. The Pats, well, I forgot the injury to Welker, and their defense isn't that good. So I'm leaning more towards the Chargers now. Cincinnati has been in decline, the Ravens are hard to read, and the Jets know how to miss an opportunity.

In the NFC I'm rooting for the Cards.That side, I'd like to see the Eagles crushed (because of Michael Vick, nothign personal), but not by the Cowboys. besides, the Cowboys won't win a playoff game, I've a bet on that :glare:

Have you been drinking again?

The Vikings are like the Jets, with one less 40 year-old Super Bowl. The Packers still haven't gotten over the loss of Favre.

So that leaves the Pats or Chargers vs the Cards or Eagles. Maybe the Ravens on the AFC and maybe the Cowboys on the NFC, if they can win a playoff game. I still doubt the Dallas team. I mean, they may win a plsyof game, but no way in hell they'll win three.

You need to sober up. I'm telling you this as a friend. B)

The 'Boys all the way, baby!

Have you been drinking again?

Yes. I had one half of one third of a half shot of tequila three weeks ago.

The 'Boys all the way, baby!

Care to lay a wager on that? I'd happily take a +200 line on the Cowboys reaching the Superbowl, +300 to win. Well I would if I could gurantee payment.

Care to lay a wager on that? I'd happily take a +200 line on the Cowboys reaching the Superbowl, +300 to win. Well I would if I could gurantee payment.

Drinking and gambling are a bad combination.

Who was it who said the Cowboys can't win in December? :-)

Who was it who said the Cowboys can't win in December? :-)

Sanders Claus. He handed out Cowboys calendars with the month of December crossed out (that would be Deion Sanders doing the Santa act in a skit at NFL Network. He's an analyst/anchor on NFL Total Access). Mind you these were calendars of the Cowboys' players, not the more popular by the team's cheerleaders. They were giving them to children.

So how about that bet?

I won't take money bets, not online without any security. But here's one:

If the Cowboys get to the Superbowl, I'll add "Cowboys Rule!" to my signature in this forum for one week. If they win the Super Bowl, I'll keep it up for a month.

If the Cowbiys don't make the Superbowl or don't win it, you add "Cowboys Suck" under similar terms.

Bet?

Sanders Claus. He handed out Cowboys calendars with the month of December crossed out (that would be Deion Sanders doing the Santa act in a skit at NFL Network. He's an analyst/anchor on NFL Total Access). Mind you these were calendars of the Cowboys' players, not the more popular by the team's cheerleaders. They were giving them to children.

So how about that bet?

I won't take money bets, not online without any security. But here's one:

If the Cowboys get to the Superbowl, I'll add "Cowboys Rule!" to my signature in this forum for one week. If they win the Super Bowl, I'll keep it up for a month.

If the Cowbiys don't make the Superbowl or don't win it, you add "Cowboys Suck" under similar terms.

Bet?

If the Steelers win the SB this year, I'll do that. If the Cowboys win the SB, you use the "Cowboy's Rule"' sig. And just to be fair I'll do it too. :)

Edited by Thales

If the Steelers win the SB this year, I'll do that. If the Cowboys win the SB, you use the "Cowboy's Rule"' sig. And just to be fair I'll do it too. :rolleyes:

There, you see? You just handed me a rethorical opening:

Headline of the week: "Cowboys' fan misses opportunity to humiliate rival; I'm depressed my team is named after mythical cattle tenders, he explains"

I won't even say the Eagles made it easy, but I'm satissfied Michael Vick made a disastrous play. We can talk about pressure all we want, and stress, and a chip on his shoulder, etc etc, but fact is giving the ball to the RB when he's already past you is a rookie mistake. The best call of the game, on the other hand, was Wade Phillips' challenge of the Philly interception.

Moving on, the Jets are either channeling the ghost of Joe Namath (yes, I know Broadway Joe is still alive), or have decided to unceremonously dump the past 40 years of Jets history. Either way they won. Of course, the Jets ahve won on the wildcard round before, so how much this victory means is open to debate.

The Pats' championship era is over. If their season dind't demonstarte it, and it may not have, then the loss against the usurpers of Baltimore surely does. The team is undergoing reconstruction. When they finish they won't ahve Tom Brady anymore, though, so best start looking for a good rookie QB (ie the riskiest action possible in the NFL).

LAstly the Arizona Cardinals earned the appelation I've been privately giving them since late in the season: The Steelers of the West. This started because their Head Coach, Ken Whisenhunt, used to be Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator and nearly inherited Bill Cowher's job. He essentially moved the Steeler offense he created in Pittsburgh to the desert, modified to take advantage of Kurt Warner. But that's not the reason now. No, the reason is the Cards also have trouble holding on to a lead. true, the Pack never led, but, come on, when you leave the first half wining by over two touch downs you have no good reason for winning the game in overtime. The defenses shined for their absence.

Next week The Colts host the ersatz Baltimore team, The Cowboys face the wrath of Favre under the dome, The Jets have a chance to get back to normal losing against the Chargers, and the Cards face the NO Saints.

My picks for the Super Bowl are Cards vs Chargers, with Minnesota vs Chargers as a second option. least likely, I judge, would be Jets vs Dallas (a wild card victory does not a post season make)

I'll keep the conversation going though I don't want to spend too much time on it.

Cards/Packers: WOW!!! That was a real barn burner!!! Best game of the weekend and one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. Every time either team had the ball; TD!!! Neither team had a defense ... until the Cards needed it at the last second. I guess next week against the Saints will be a repeat but I wouldn't bet against the Cards. The Saints are playing their worst ball of the year right now and they will be rusty.

Patriots/Ravens: I wouldn't say Tom Brady is done, he was obviously severely injured, notice how not one pass was a spiral. I really liked their new receiver, did you see him make 9 yards out of none toward the end of the game? He had drive, unfortunately almost none of the rest of the team did. Belichek needs to retool his team, including himself, other teams have figured him out and he has, uncharacteristically, made some dubious, game-costing, decisions this year. I didn't even like that he elected to kick-off to start the game, it was all downhill from that decision on.

The Ravens have a great defense and had a great defensive plan: all out blitz mixed with sitting back in coverage. However, Flacco only threw for 38 yards so I like the Colts even though they will be very rusty and I totally disagree with their end of season lay/let down.

Jets/Bengals: I want to see Ochocinco change his name back to Johnson as he promised. He didn't show up for the last two games, what a blowhard. I guess Revis had something to do with that, but still. Revis is outstanding. The Jets are playing well, I hope they put up a fight against the Chargers

Cowboys/Eagles: The Cowboys are playing their best ball of the year and are firing on all cylinders. Offense, Defense, running game all excellent and they have committed the fewest errors of anyone left. In my opinion they are playing the best of everyone left right now and will be hard to beat. Favre is my sentimental favorite though and the Vikings look good.

Hopefully next weeks games will be better than this past weekend's were.

Cards/Packers: WOW!!! That was a real barn burner!!! Best game of the weekend and one of the most exciting games I've ever seen. Every time either team had the ball; TD!!! Neither team had a defense ... until the Cards needed it at the last second. I guess next week against the Saints will be a repeat but I wouldn't bet against the Cards. The Saints are playing their worst ball of the year right now and they will be rusty.

The Pack were robbed. On the last play where Rodgers was stripped there was a totally blatant facemask that was not called and would have made it 15 yards and a Packer first down. Prior to that, there was a blatant helmet-to-helmet hit on Rodgers after he threw the ball, I think it might have been on the play where Jennings broke free but the ball was a little ahead of him. Green Bay should have won.

Kurt Warner had the same problem with the Rams. They had an awesome offense, but a sieve for a defense. The Rams were so much better offensively than their opponents that they could over come that, but against the upper echelon teams it's always going to be touch and go.

Cowboys/Eagles: The Cowboys are playing their best ball of the year and are firing on all cylinders. Offense, Defense, running game all excellent and they have committed the fewest errors of anyone left. In my opinion they are playing the best of everyone left right now and will be hard to beat.

:)

Favre is my sentimental favorite though and the Vikings look good.

There are many good stories. Favre has already won a SB, but I'd like to see him do it with another team.

Patriots/Ravens: I wouldn't say Tom Brady is done, he was obviously severely injured, notice how not one pass was a spiral.

No, of course he's not done. The Pats are done. By the time Bellichick rebuilds, if allowed, Brady will be done.

I really liked their new receiver, did you see him make 9 yards out of none toward the end of the game? He had drive, unfortunately almost none of the rest of the team did.

Welker ought to be worried. But I wouldn't get too excited just yet. Remember all the one-shot wonders the League has seen.

Jets/Bengals: I want to see Ochocinco change his name back to Johnson as he promised. He didn't show up for the last two games, what a blowhard.

He is a blowhard, alebit a charismatic and mostly funny one. I think he was injured for the last two games, so he dind't play much or well. Besides, they'd cover him intensively.

I'm mulling over placing a large bet on the combined score of NO vs Cards. Right now it stands at 57, paying -110 (meaning if you bet 110 you're paid 100 if you win). The Saints are favored to win by a -7 spread.

Okay, I have a SB prediction. If the Colts can win their first playoff game against the Ravens, then I think they will win the whole thing. The reason I say this is because the first game will be a real challenge for them to knock the rust off. But, if they can do it, and start hammering on all eleven cylinders, I think they will win the SB. This team is a sleeping giant.

But what about the Cowboys you ask?

Okay, good point. B)

The Pack were robbed. On the last play where Rodgers was stripped there was a totally blatant facemask that was not called and would have made it 15 yards and a Packer first down.

The chief of officials was on NFL Total Access the ohter day. he explained the face-mask grab was incidental, because the Cards' player didn't grab or pull down, nor did he try to tackle Rodgers by the mask. So no call on that.

More interesting the officials could have called an incomplete pass invoking the tuck rule.

Prior to that, there was a blatant helmet-to-helmet hit on Rodgers after he threw the ball, I think it might have been on the play where Jennings broke free but the ball was a little ahead of him. Green Bay should have won.

Green bay coudl ahve won, had their vaunted defense shown up. Seriously, the Cards scored on all but two possesions int he second half (one punt and one missed FG).

The ball never hit the ground.

The tuck rule is a hated, complicated mess. As I recall, the ball doesn't have to hit the ground. That's why it's hated. Look up a recent Raiders vs New England playoff for details. The rule was called and a stripped ball was ruled an incomplete pass.

Of course, to the Raiders that's just one more piece of evidence in their growing list, which proves the NFL hates them so much it conspires against them. they still gripe about the immacualte reception, the day the field at 3 Rivers got half-frozen, and every other game they lost.

It looked like an interception to me. I don't see how they could justify that being a fumble or an incomplete pass - Rodgers' arm was moving forward, the ball came out and the opposing player caught it. Regardless of what it was, the Cardinal did pull Rodger's mask - straight down. I saw it with my own eyes. Apparently this is another one of those rules that's simply a subjective call. Or maybe Rodgers just decided to tilt his head downward at the same instant the fingers were hooked around his grill, and due to the official's uncanny powers of perception he wase able to see that no force was actually applied :P . Either way, the ball came out before the penalty, so I put this botched play on the O-line and Rodgers, not the officials.

I do blame the officials for not calling a blatant helmet-to-helmet hit earlier in OT. The inconsistency with which roughing the passer is called is remarkable. Earlier today Kurt Warner got tapped on the helmet with a hand and they called a 15-yard penalty. Rodgers got blown up with a head-butt and they didn't see it. They should stop coddling quarterbacks all together; then I'd have no reason to gripe.

Edited by FeatherFall

It looked like an interception to me. I don't see how they could justify that being a fumble or an incomplete pass -

My mistake. The tuck rule requires the ball to hit the ground in order to be an incomplete pass.

They should stop coddling quarterbacks all together; then I'd have no reason to gripe.

QBs are an expensive asset. Still, it used to be worse. Remember when they'd whistle the play dead if the QB was held by a defensive player? That rule nearly killed the mobile quarterbacks like Randall Cunningham.

Well, some interesting developments in the Divisional round.

1st, Dallas went back to normal. Out of consideration to Cowboys' fans, that's all I'll say on the subject.

Next, The Cards still need a better defense. They're the first team ever to allow 90 points in two consecutive playoff games, and likely also the last. Why? Because allowing over 40 points in a game usually means you lose. The ofense was stymied, too, by the Saints defense. It's starting to look as though Arizona does well in its division only because everyone else is worse.

Third, the Ravens' vaunted defense did not stop Indianapolis, but the Colts' regular defense nearly shut out the Ravens offense. Nice.

Finally, the Jets surprised everyone by channeling the ghosts of Steelers' past. I'm serious. They played a highly defensive game, while relying on a running game and a few well-placed, crucial pass plays. Ok, maybe I eaxaggerate a little, but the victory was surprising. I expected the Chargers to win, not easily but well. Instead they lost badly, missing two field goals their kicker should have made (not counting the long shot at the end of the first half).

Now the Vikes travel to New Orleans and the Jets go to Indianapolis. At this point I predict a NO victory, but I won't hazzard a rpediction on the AFC.

However, the Jets have a golden chance to win the AFC championship, the Superbowl and to shut up all their critics. You'll recall the Jets amde the playoffs by defeating Indy and Cincinnati when neither opponent had anything to play for, meaning those victories were suspect. They then beat the Bengals in a wild card game. If they beat the Colts, at Indy, against all their starters, they'll settle the question of whether they even belonged in the playoffs.

Okay, I have a SB prediction. If the Colts can win their first playoff game against the Ravens, then I think they will win the whole thing. The reason I say this is because the first game will be a real challenge for them to knock the rust off. But, if they can do it, and start hammering on all eleven cylinders, I think they will win the SB. This team is a sleeping giant.

Well, well, whose looking like the football genius now?

But what about the Cowboys you ask?

Okay, good point. B)

Hey, listen, it's only a game!

I wanted a Jets vs Vikings Sueprbowl. Oh, well. (Actually I wanted Chargers vs Vikings, but that was not going to happen, was it?).

New Orleans goes to the Superbowl. The phrase looks, sounds and feels wrong. Almost like the phrase "Rational philosopher Emannuel Kant," only more absurd.

Anyway, that leaves the follwoing teams who've never been to the big game:

Houston Texans

Jacksonville Jaguars

Detroit Lions

The list also includes the Cleveland Browns. Now, that's true, but the info on the list is somewhat missleading. The Browns which ahve played in the NFL for a long time actually moved to Baltimore, changed their name to the Ravens and abandoned their Cleveland history forever. OSme years later an expansion team was awrded to Cleveland. It took the name of the old team and its history.

Well, you can take the name, but the not the history. So as far as I'm concerned the old Browns have gone to the Superbowl (and won it) while the New Browns ahven't.

Anyway, The Jets got off to a great start. Alas, they forgot a game has two halves, not just one. They were shut out in the second half entirely. Of course by the late stages of the 4th quarter they tried to do in 3 minutes what they couldn't do in 27 minutes, and of course they failed.

The NO vs Minnesota game was more balanced. If you look at the box score, you'd swear not only that the Vikings won, but that they crushed the Louisana upstarts. Until, that is, you see the turnovers. Worse yet, two of those were inside the Red Zone. Favre or no Favre, you won't win if you give up that many balls and two scores.

Also, late in the 4th, with the game tied, the Vikings had plenty of time, two timeouts and were almost within easy field goal range. At that point, they turned conservative and ran the ball. The former Aint's read that and stopped them. Even then they were within their kickers extreme range when they commited a 12 men on the field penalty, which drove them out of range. BTW Favre tried to call a time out to avoid the penalty, but that play came after a Vikes' time out and you can't call two consecutive time outs. trying to do so is also a penalty. So they were screwed either way.

In the end the better teams won.

Now we get two weeks without football (the pro bowl doesn't count) where every pundit, comentator, coach-looking-for-work and stadium hot dog vendor will predict who willwin. When they are not doing the, hopefully, last chapter of the off-season Favre soap opera, that is.

There may also be a rehash of the controversial calls and non-calls by the officials int eh Saints-Vikings game. I do want to know why NO wasn't called for roughing the passer on Favre's last play.

My disappointment in this season culminated in the cancellation of Favrageddon (Vikings-Jets superbowl). Saints-Colts bores me. I probably won't watch.

I have a few gripes with the officiating - they all boil down to the inconsistency with which roughing the passer is called. It's a complete mystery to me; I simply cannot predict when it will or will not be called.