Objectivism Online Forum

NFL 2009

Rate this topic

Woulnd't that mean losing another Superbowl? Or is that "unchanged"? :pimp:

I was downplaying Minnesota's success because I don't think they will get to the Super Bowl, let alone win it, and I'm not a Vikings fan. heh. The only way I would like to see Minnesota win the Super Bowl would be to cap Favre's career, especially with his dramatic re-entry into the league. I've said it before, I've never really been a Favre fan, but there's something to be said for his independence.

You hint on a good point though, about defining exactly what a successful season will mean for Minnesota. It's very easy to propose that anything less than a Super Bowl appearance, or victory, will be a failed season. I base this on at least one of the goals the Vikings had in mind when they sought after, and signed Favre to the team, as well as commentary given by sports journalists.

You also have to consider what Favre's presence will do to any QB prospects in Minnesota this year. I'm sure the Jets wound up missing Chad Pennington late last season.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I was originally going to write about it in my previous post, but chose not to because of time constraints. The two quarterbacks that the Vikings have need to be matured through game play, or scrapped. With Favre as the starting quarterback, those two quarterbacks don't get needed time on the field to further better their development. What are they going to do next year with their two under developed, disgruntled quarterbacks, after Favre leaves? Favre's presence with the Vikings isn't going to last long, unless he's going to stick around, as a backup quarterback, to help coach quarterbacks; however, this is extremely unlikely, given Favre's reputation as not being sociable with his teammates--despite impressions one gets after watching a Favre celebration after scoring a touchdown--and, in my opinion, the way he quarterbacks shouldn't be coached to others.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was downplaying Minnesota's success because I don't think they will get to the Super Bowl, let alone win it,

I was just making a bit of fun that the Vikes have never won the Superbowl.

You hint on a good point though, about defining exactly what a successful season will mean for Minnesota.

Ordinarily getting to the playoffs and doing reasonably well. With Favre, though expectations will be high. Plus he won't stay with the Vikings long. At most two seasons. So that's what they have to do or be judged harshly.

The two quarterbacks that the Vikings have need to be matured through game play, or scrapped. With Favre as the starting quarterback, those two quarterbacks don't get needed time on the field to further better their development. What are they going to do next year with their two under developed, disgruntled quarterbacks, after Favre leaves?

Probably trade one to get enough room under the salary cap to draft a promising rookie or hire another talented veteran. What else can they do?

Favre's presence with the Vikings isn't going to last long, unless he's going to stick around, as a backup quarterback, to help coach quarterbacks; however, this is extremely unlikely, given Favre's reputation as not being sociable with his teammates--despite impressions one gets after watching a Favre celebration after scoring a touchdown--and, in my opinion, the way he quarterbacks shouldn't be coached to others.

He's on the impulsive side a bit, but has the talent to make many of his wild throws better than most. A QB with less talent will merely be learning to throw interceptions, which isn't good at all (he said superfluously). Roethlisberger has that problem and not enough talent. That's why his third season nearly became his last.

We'll see. clearly the Jets regret having taken on Favre. Hopefully the Vikings won't.

Maybe this is what Ayn Rand identified as hatred of the good for being the good. B)

You wish.

I'll tell you why football fans hate the Cowboys. Becasue of an infamous NFL Films production that designed them "America's Team." That's presumptous, and it appropriates the five-pointed star, an American symbol, as something peculiar to Dallas (I assume it actually represents the star in the Texas flag, the reason Texas is known as the Lone Star State).

The film alone isn't reason enough. But since then dem Cowboys have adopted the "America's Team" label and thus pissed off all football fans everywhere.

So there.

You wish.

I'll tell you why football fans hate the Cowboys. Becasue of an infamous NFL Films production that designed them "America's Team." That's presumptous, and it appropriates the five-pointed star, an American symbol, as something peculiar to Dallas (I assume it actually represents the star in the Texas flag, the reason Texas is known as the Lone Star State).

The film alone isn't reason enough. But since then dem Cowboys have adopted the "America's Team" label and thus pissed off all football fans everywhere.

So there.

:P

IN any case, as with the Jets, all the fans' hopes will be riding on him. That's unfair, given he has no control over the Minnesota defense, but it's what it will be like.

I think the Vikings have a much better team than the jets had. They have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball without Favre. It's possible that he throws a pick in a bad situation and ends the season, in which case he probably will get blamed for the whole season. However, I think a successful season (a playoff win) would see credit spread around.

Favre would be in much better condition had he gotten bicep surgery right after the season. He'd at least have found out about the other injury he has (shoulder ligament or some such) with enough time to correct it. The roumor is that he's had the injury for a long time, which could mean more than one season. That might mean the injury isn't that bad, it might not.

Unlike most people, I could roll around in Favre news all day. I've been thinking for a while that his old man circulation makes him no better than a mediocre quarterback in cold weather games. It's a damn good thing for Minnesota that they'll only have one or two of those this year.

I think the Vikings have a much better team than the jets had. They have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball without Favre. It's possible that he throws a pick in a bad situation and ends the season, in which case he probably will get blamed for the whole season. However, I think a successful season (a playoff win) would see credit spread around.

Unless there's a big defensive play that tilts a crucial game around, or a similar play by special teams or a runningback, Favre will get the credit. He may or may not share it. Of course, if the fans don't take to him, they'll want him out at the first loss.

The roumor is that he's had the injury for a long time, which could mean more than one season.

It's very possible. You know Favre has the record for most consecutive starts by any football player? You get that record by being good, so you will play in every game, and by not getting hurt or by playing with injuries. He's played with a broken thumb in his throwing hand, which is remarkable. But it also seems he began to think he couldn't get hurt. I've heard he would start going to the field with incomplete gear, for example. Maybe he just didn't believe he had an injuty.

I've been thinking for a while that his old man circulation makes him no better than a mediocre quarterback in cold weather games. It's a damn good thing for Minnesota that they'll only have one or two of those this year.

Wimps. Odin's still punishing them for cowering inside a dome :P

Seriously, it's acclimation more than anything else. Same as with altitude. Favre's used to cold winters when he played in Green bay and New York. If he gets de-acclimated, it will be because of the dome.

Lovely new stadium, a marvel of modern civil engineering and architecture, with a sort of Jumbotron so large it should have been set up in Texas! Man, that screen is so freaking big (how freaking big is it?), it's so freakign big everyone at the stadium will watch it rather than the actual action on the field (thank you!)

Don't get me wrong I think the new stadium is impressive and a feat of engineering. However, I don't like the indoor stadiums. It feels like your watching the game in Costco.

Real teams play outdoors! :thumbsup:

seahawks-stadium-qwest-field.jpg

Edited by Rearden_Steel

Michael Vick is slated to play in the Eagles' next preseason game (I'm not following the rpeseason, so I son't know when exactly). As per the terms of his reinstatement he can play in the last two preseason games, but not yet in the regular season.

Since the Vick matter broke last year I've been predicting he's likely to be hurt by dog lovers in the opposing defense. Honestly I hope that doesn't happen. Defensive players ought to be professional in their play, and purposefuly hurting a player is against the rules (for good and sufficient reason). But also honestly I would ahve a hard time caring if Vick got a career-ending injury somehow.

This is the last I intend to post about Vick, unless he does play in the regular season and does something of note.

In the meantime the Jets ahve crowned Mark Sanchez their starter for this season. I can't say I'm surprised. The Jets let go their starter to get Favre (how did that work out?) and were stuck with whatever backup and third-stringer they had left. Naturally a talented rookie, top draft pick had a great chance for the top job. As far as I can tell, he's played well but has shown the inexperience you'd expect from a rookie.

I have heard nothing about the QB situation in Detroit, but I'm sure it doesn't matter to anyone but the Detroit QB (if it does matter to him). Over in Tampa it looks like Byron Leftwich may ascend to starter. He was a starter for the Jaguars, I think, some time back and was a great backup for Big Ben in Pittsburgh. So good for him. I like saying former Steelers often rise to the top of their new domains (Tony Dungy, Ken Wisenhunt), but really Pittsburgh has never had a good QB training program, so this is all Mr. Leftwich's doing.

It's very possible. You know Favre has the record for most consecutive starts by any football player? You get that record by being good, so you will play in every game, and by not getting hurt or by playing with injuries. He's played with a broken thumb in his throwing hand, which is remarkable. But it also seems he began to think he couldn't get hurt. I've heard he would start going to the field with incomplete gear, for example. Maybe he just didn't believe he had an injuty.
Favre has the longest streak among quarterbacks. Jim Marshall actually holds the consecutive start streak at 270. If Favre plays a season and a game he'll tie it. As far as I know, Favre holds the second longest streak. But I agree; if you aren't good enough to be a starter for your whole career, you won't get that many consecutive starts.

Seriously, it's acclimation more than anything else. Same as with altitude. Favre's used to cold winters when he played in Green bay and New York. If he gets de-acclimated, it will be because of the dome.
Acclimation be damned. I like Favre, but I've seen declining play in cold weather games over the last several years. Dropped snaps in dry conditions (which could be blamed on the center, I suppose), missed hand offs, dropped pump fakes, poor accuracy, etc. I get the impression that his hands aren't getting the same amount of warm blood in them. Mentally he's at the top of his game, including shutting out the cold.

Finally, just one more lousy week of preseason "games" and the real action begins. These are the teams the media will watch in no particular order:

1) The Vikings and how Brett Favre will do.

2) The Eagles and what will they do with Michael Vick

3) The Steelers and whether they will repeat and thus wrestle with the Pats as the top team of the nameless decade.

4) The Pats and whether Tom Brady will get injured again

5) The Jets and their new rookie QB (rookie QBs tend to ahve horrible first seasons, with some unusual exceptions)

6) The Cardinals, was 2008 just a flash in the pan or is Wisenhunt on to something BIG?

7) The Lions, will they break the Bucs record for the longest loosing streak? (I think it stands at 19 games)

8) Buffallo because T.O. is there.

9) Denver, new coach, new QB, maybe a disastrous season in the making.

10) The Bucs and any other team with a QB controversy.

This year's offensive fad will be the Wildcat. It may stay a fad for a season or two, or it may gain currency as did the no-huddle offense, the West Coast offense and the Shotgun formation. Ok, it may be unfair to call it a fad, but it does smack of trick plays gone haywire getting lots of airtime in the highlight shows every Sunday evening.

Potentially it could revolutionize the way the game is played. When the Bills went no-huddle for entire series in a row, the other teams wanted the practice banned. Now everyone does it from time to time. Wildcat would be easy to ban. Just draft a rule that says the ball must be centered only to the player directly behind the center, be it the QB, the punter or the holder. But that would be horribly restrictive to such a fluid game. besides, the offense should have the edge in order to provide a great spectacle for the fans.

I won't hazzard any predictions for specific teams this year, but I will predict at least one big surprise this season. That's safe, as there are big surprises almost every season. Last year there were two: Miami and Arizona. Who will be the surprise this year? Well, if I knew it wouldn't be a surprise, but the candidates include Mark Sanchez, Kansas City and New Orleans.

Finally, just one more lousy week of preseason "games" and the real action begins. These are the teams the media will watch in no particular order:

1) The Vikings and how Brett Favre will do.

2) The Eagles and what will they do with Michael Vick

3) The Steelers and whether they will repeat and thus wrestle with the Pats as the top team of the nameless decade.

4) The Pats and whether Tom Brady will get injured again

5) The Jets and their new rookie QB (rookie QBs tend to ahve horrible first seasons, with some unusual exceptions)

6) The Cardinals, was 2008 just a flash in the pan or is Wisenhunt on to something BIG?

7) The Lions, will they break the Bucs record for the longest loosing streak? (I think it stands at 19 games)

8) Buffallo because T.O. is there.

9) Denver, new coach, new QB, maybe a disastrous season in the making.

10) The Bucs and any other team with a QB controversy.

Some additions:

Chicaco Bears - If you include Denver, you've got to include Chicago.

San Fransico 49ers - The entertainment factor of their coach, Mike Singletary.

Some additions:

Chicaco Bears - If you include Denver, you've got to include Chicago.

I don't see why. Certainly Chicago has never had a QB like Cuttler, but there's been little buzz about him, and it's not like anyone has any high hopes for the Bears.

San Fransico 49ers - The entertainment factor of their coach, Mike Singletary.

I wasn't aware of any. If you like an entertaining coach, try Jim Mora. Here are some clips:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=66...ient=firefox-a#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZzqrhJ7Y0

I don't see why. Certainly Chicago has never had a QB like Cuttler, but there's been little buzz about him, and it's not like anyone has any high hopes for the Bears.

I wasn't aware of any. If you like an entertaining coach, try Jim Mora. Here are some clips:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=66...ient=firefox-a#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZzqrhJ7Y0

I don't necessarily disagree, but my point with Cuttler is that he's going to be put under a microscope because of his decision to leave Denver, and all the circumstances surrounding that. This was seen during the preseason games, we'll have to wait and see how the reg season plays out.

I mentioned Coach Singletary because a lot of his decisions and antics last year gave him much attention on ESPN. Even David Letterman featured him daily for quite a while on his show. On a more serious note, many are watching him to see if his actions will pay off, or if he's just a coach making crazy decisions; some regard him as attempting to run his team in an older, no nonsense fashion, but some just aren't sure about him.

I don't necessarily disagree, but my point with Cuttler is that he's going to be put under a microscope because of his decision to leave Denver, and all the circumstances surrounding that. This was seen during the preseason games, we'll have to wait and see how the reg season plays out.

Everyone will forget all about it once the real season starts. Unless either Denver or Chicago, or both, quickly accumulate a good record. Then there will be speculation galore. But it's unlikely either team will do well this season.

I mentioned Coach Singletary because a lot of his decisions and antics last year gave him much attention on ESPN.

I missed it. The way ESPN mangles its programing for Latin America is hard to believe. I'm just grateful we get unadulterated NFL Network.