Objectivism Online Forum

Obama Signs Service Bill

Rate this topic

Link to story.

Calling on Americans to volunteer, President Barack Obama signed a $5.7 billion national service bill Tuesday that triples the size of the AmeriCorps service program over the next eight years and expands ways for students to earn money for college.

"We need your service, right now, in this moment in history. ... I'm asking you to stand up and play your part," said Obama, a former community organizer in Chicago. "I'm asking you to help change history's course."

It aims to foster and fulfill people's desire to make a difference, such as by mentoring children, cleaning up parks or buildings and weatherizing homes for the poor.

Well gosh, I sure am glad someone finally realized my "desire to make a difference" is not being realized and violated our rights in order to help me do so.

Obama on Tuesday also nominated Nike Inc. vice president Maria Eitel to lead the federal agency that oversees the country's national service programs.

Eitel, who's also president of the Nike Foundation, would have to be confirmed by the Senate to become CEO of the Corporation for National and Community Service.

So, from the sounds of it, this bill will also be creating a new bloated GSE as well.

I think it is great that people can get out there and support causes they believe in, and earn money for college.

However, my only problem with it is that it is run by the government. Taxes should not be used to fund anything outside of the basic responsibilities of government.

My real fear - though - is that we will see something in the future that will REQUIRE public service on college - even high school students - for them to graduate at publically funded schools. I remember when I was younger, about 18, I worked at a nursing home run by the Catholic Church. Next door was a Catholic High School, and some of the seniors would come visit. One of them (very nice young man, he really seemed to enjoy visiting the folks there) told me that a certain number of community service hours were required for him to graduate, and this was what he picked. I don't have issues with something like that - it is a private school, and if they tell you up front what the requirements are, you have a choice to accept them and go, or reject them and not go.

However, since so many parents cannot afford private schools or home school their kids, public school is their only alternative. I don't think the government has any business dictating that people must "serve the community" in any capacity (although I think it is always a nice option as altnernive to paying fines for an actual crime).

I just don't get it. We bloat the budget, have to print money to keep things afloat, and he signs bills like this. It would be better to suggest colleges set up their own service for tuition on programs the colleges have a lot of interest in than this. (I am not referring to work study.) That makes a lot more sense to me.

I'm asking you to stand up and play your part," said Obama
italics and bold mine

Not innovate. Not produce. Not create, work, think. But play your part. Be a tool of society. Be a pawn in Obama's invisible intellectual army that surrounds you everywhere but nowhere in particular. That's what they really want you to "volunteer" to.

Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a bandage for their wounds. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.-- Ayn Rand

edit to add quote

Edited by EC

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is great that people can get out there and support causes they believe in, and earn money for college.

However, my only problem with it is that it is run by the government. Taxes should not be used to fund anything outside of the basic responsibilities of government.

Taxes should not be collected, period.

Even the most basic responsibilities of government should be voluntarily funded, which means that the coercive tax method should not be employed for any purpose.

On topice: this National & Community Service bill is simply a prelude to the draft. I am saddened but not surprised to see it being passed.

Link to story.

Obama on Tuesday also nominated Nike Inc. vice president Maria Eitel to lead the federal agency that oversees the country's national service programs.

Does this mean they can use Nike's trademark, "Just Do It!"? :)

Service is already required at some high schools. It was not at mine but I volunteered at a place I liked and believed in and was eventually offered a job because of my hard work. The people required to volunteer did a few weeks of poor work and left.

I'm sure the ARI will re-activate the Campaing Against Servitude before too long. I have no doubt that the wheels would have started turning on this the moment Obama mentioned it in speeches, if those wheels ever even stopped at all.

The last time around the ARI was offering itself as a place for young Objectivists to serve out their penance-for-ability. This time it could be a much bigger program, which besides helping more kids avoid the indoctrination would also be a good vehicle for publicity both for anti-servitide campaigns in particular and Reason-Egoism-Capitalism in principle.

JJM