Objectivism Online Forum

OAC Exam

Rate this topic

Seanjos

Just finished the entrance exam! Find out June 1st.

Wow, it's one thing to think you've got it down in your mind, but being posed with a question and having to write the answer is another deal entirely.

Hopefully they won't be able to ignore my IQ score which I sent, I was surprised they asked for this actually but as usual, that piece of paper is probably the thing that'll save me. :confused:

It was the fastest 90 minutes I've had in front of a computer, if I don't get in it's because I didn't write enough. The words.... :dough: ...just.... wouldn't.... :dough: ... flow.

I've newfound respect for DavidOdden who articulates fine points so well on paper (screen). Good work playa! :pimp:

Edited by Seanjos

Grats! I'm thinking of applying this year but will probably wait till next year due a year off school to live in the Maldives. What IQ test did you take? (aside: are those really an accurate measurement of intelligence to base an undergrad acceptance on?)

Congrats. Hopefully you make it into the class of 2013.

from a member of the class of 2012 :dough:

Thanks! I wondered if there were any other students here... How's your first year been KendallJ ?

I'm going to check through your posts to see how good a writer you must be at this point. :confused:

Thanks! I wondered if there were any other students here... How's your first year been KendallJ ?

I'm going to check through your posts to see how good a writer you must be at this point. :lol:

Ha! Check my blogs instead. Especially sCap. That is where I've been upgrading my writing.

I'm posting less and less to the forum as it's losing its value for me. You'll find that. Once you start understanding how to deal with philosophical problems you'll see that most of the discussion on the board is low value (I know someone will ding me for that! :)) - my own contributions included! When Peikoff says the best way to study philosophy is from a trained philosopher, especially one who knows Objectivism, he is 100% right. The board is more a place to get people interested, have friendly banter, and make social connections.

My posts here are generally unedited (typos, etc). I barely have time to dash off a draft. I cringe when I hit "Submit." As writing it's complete shit. :)

Oh, and the first year has been great! Humbling mostly.

Edited by KendallJ

Once you start understanding how to deal with philosophical problems you'll see that most of the discussion on the board is low value (I know someone will ding me for that! :lol:)
Ding! (Only to prove you right :) )

Of course, you're right, in the sense you mean it; and, perhaps 99% of folks who use forums would agree.

I know. I might just want to do a year is all. I'm not sure of their policy concerning returning students.

Perhaps it depends on the circumstances, but I've noticed with other students (and have been allowed myself) a great deal of fluidity in completing the program.

I completed the first three years, took two years off becasue I was busy with my grad school coursework, and I'm starting up my fourth year this fall.

It's also very common to have a different students in your class each year - there were a lot of students in my first year classes. By my third year, there were only a handful of students - only three of us from the same incoming class.

Taking OAC classes is extremely valuable and rewarding. I highly recommend applying.

• 1 month later...

Get my results later today! It's a "win win" for me either way. I either get in, or realise I'm lacking and need to understand more.

Please post your results here if you've applied this year!