Objectivism Online Forum

Alarming Flu Reports From Mexico

Rate this topic

If you pull out your trusty calculator you will find a very good reason to be alarmed. Over 100,000,000 people get the common flu each year in the U.S. Of those roughly 36,000 die. Thats .00036. If the rate of fatality continues to be as high for swine flu as it presently appears, we are looking at somewhere between .06 (Mexico) and .01 (U.S.). CDC predictions are that during the eighteen months, broken into three waves, of the swine flu panemic, 30% will become infected. Thats about 100,000,000 people in the U.S. At a conservative .01 mortality rate we end up with one million dead in the U.S.

Does this help?

CDC predictions are that during the eighteen months, broken into three waves, of the swine flu panemic, 30% will become infected. Thats about 100,000,000 people in the U.S. At a conservative .01 mortality rate we end up with one million dead in the U.S.

Does this help?

A little.

It would be very hard to infect 30% of America's population with swine flu. The virus is too sensitive to sunlight, for one thing, so it doesn't last long out in the open. There's a drug that works against it, too, which both limits the spread and will further reduce the mortality rate. Lastly we'll see a vaccine soon.

There is cause for worry, yes, but not for alarm. There's reason to take reasonable precautions, too. Right now I'm avoiding crowded palces, I wash my hands often and I limit my exposure to other people as much as possible (this means not shaking hands, for example, keeping some distance, etc).

Maybe I'm just being naive, but I'm not the least concerned about this Flu. D'kain, how many people in Mexico die annually from 'human flu'? One of the reasons for my lack of concern is the CDC's data, which they released a couple of days ago, showing that some 36,000 died last year in the U.S. from the flu; however, there have been very few infections (100?) and no deaths yet from swine flu.

Yeah, I just stopped reading the news until this goes away. I just get annoyed at all the nonsense-this whole story deserved one headline when it started out, and then an update a few days later explaining why it's not a threat.

We should all be back focusing on how Obama's nationalizing the auto industry.

If you pull out your trusty calculator you will find a very good reason to be alarmed. Over 100,000,000 people get the common flu each year in the U.S. Of those roughly 36,000 die. Thats .00036. If the rate of fatality continues to be as high for swine flu as it presently appears, we are looking at somewhere between .06 (Mexico) and .01 (U.S.). CDC predictions are that during the eighteen months, broken into three waves, of the swine flu panemic, 30% will become infected. Thats about 100,000,000 people in the U.S. At a conservative .01 mortality rate we end up with one million dead in the U.S.

Does this help?

No. It hurts, since some people might actually believe it, and worry needlessly.

Genetic data indicate this outbreak won't be as deadly as that of 1918, or even the average winter.

WHO Confirmed Cases Worldwide: 257; Deaths: 7

Also, info I picked up, even while trying to not pay any attention to this: the virus is not airborne, the vaccine is expected to be ready in a few days, Tamiflu and other antibiotics cure the infected.

Edited by Jake_Ellison

Yeah, I just stopped reading the news until this goes away. I just get annoyed at all the nonsense-this whole story deserved one headline when it started out, and then an update a few days later explaining why it's not a threat.

We should all be back focusing on how Obama's nationalizing the auto industry.

And nationalizing the health care system with this goofiness as leverage against those that are products of the monopolized, collectivist education.

Not that I'm putting a slant on all of it. :)