Objectivism Online Forum

Bill Gates: Capitalist Or Pull Peddler

Rate this topic

tommyedison

Just read an interview of Bill Gates by Krakt Korteks of November 2000.

Bill Gates: Krakt Korteks interview

A quote from the interview:

Krakt Korteks: "Are you saying that we should all have a Windows license for each computer we own, even if we don't use Windows?"

Bill Gates: "At least one legal and authentic Windows license, yes. I'm not saying that you even need to have an actual copy of Windows. There are, after all, people out there who don't think they'll ever want to install Windows, so why take up their SOHO space with yet another drinks coaster? If they decide they want the CD later, then they can visit our website and have one sent to them for a modest fee."

Krakt Korteks: "What? Why? If I want to use Linux from day one, then why should I pay you anything? And if I did have to pay for a Windows license, why should I later have to pay for a copy of the software?"

Bill Gates: "Again, it's all about fairness and helping the consumer. If you buy a computer without a pre-installed legal operating system (i.e., Windows), then I don't want to have to lose sleep at night thinking about you going to jail because you aren't legal. Making sure you have that legal license for Windows is the best way to keep you and the law on good terms."

Krakt Korteks: "Where is the law that says everyone has to have a Windows license?"

Bill Gates: "Laws of this kind are on their way in.  Vanuatu, one of the most forward-thinking countries as far as IT issues go, has a law that states that everyone in that country must purchase a Windows license from the age of five.  Microsoft lawyers helped the Vanuatu government devise and implement this law, just as they are helping governments around the world re-work their legislation to promote fairness and innovation and, most importantly, to make sure the consumer is protected with regard to his Windows software purchase and/or use and/or potential use.

The Vanuatu law is working pretty well, but we've already moved on to Madagascar where we're testing Beta 2 of this legislation, codenamed 'Matlock'.  Beta 2 introduces the legislative extensions of our upcoming .NET services for the first time.  So the people of the great island nation of Madagascar will be the first in the world to experience full Windows legality on a convenient annual-subscription basis."

The next quote is better

Krakt Korteks: "But what about lawsuits in progress in the US and the EU--lawsuits that could threaten the very existence of Microsoft as a single company?"

Bill Gates: "You know as well as I do, Krakt, that these lawsuits are baseless and immoral.  Empty threats, really.  The US couldn't even get rid of Saddam Hussein.  And we all know that the EU is just a passing fad.  They'll be killing each other again in less than a year.

"No, I'm sick to death of all these fascist lawsuits.  People love Windows.  Listen to the people!

"Besides, things change so fast in this business.  The US government can't even keep up, and the EU is on its way out.  Once 'Matlock' goes gold and becomes US law, we'll have an end to these feckless, fawning, sociopathic lawsuits.  The people will rise up.  They love Windows."

Really surprised me! Bill Gates is worse than I thought. In fact he reminds me of Gail Wynand.

Just read an interview of Bill Gates by Krakt Korteks of November 2000.

Bill Gates: Krakt Korteks interview

A quote from the interview:

[...]

The next quote is better

[...]

Really surprised me! Bill Gates is worse than I thought. In fact he reminds me of Gail Wynand.

Doesn't the interviewer's NAME strike you as odd?

This is a FICTIONAL SATIRE.