Objectivism Online Forum

Mossoff's paper on "Patent Thicket"

Rate this topic

softwareNerd

The Volokh Conspiracy blog has carried a series of posts by Objectivist professor Adam Mossoff's about his paper "A Stitch in Time: The Rise and Fall of the Sewing Machine Patent Thicket". LINK

A very interesting series of blogs indeed. I have to wonder at times about those who complain about the process of patenting, including the "patent trolls", wondering if they know that this process has been going on for at least 200 years via the American Patent System. Men motivated to make a profit can work out all sorts of conflicts, even though some might get caught up in litigation for a while. My mom has had a singer sewing machine since I was a very young child, and even has the one my grandmother had that was foot operated. She uses them to sew dresses and other clothing, and even made a suit for me at one time. As far as I know, each machine still works perfectly and just has to have the needles replace periodically. Quite impressive.