Objectivism Online Forum

A different government in one step

Rate this topic

Maarten

I was just wondering about this earlier. There are a lot of discussions about what's wrong with today's government, and how a proper government should be. But what do you think is the single most damaging law (including amendments to the constitution, so you can say income tax) or government agency out there? I mean that in the sense of: If we go back a century or whatever and that whole thing just never went into effect, what do you think would be the single most beneficial thing for ordinary people's lives? Would you say it is no income taxes, or no federal reserve, no EPA, no antitrust laws, no FDA or no Medicare or Medicaid or SS?

I think it would be an interesting thought exercise to see what people think is the worst violation of their rights, so to speak, and what makes the most difference in practical terms. I think it would be very helpful to know that, just because when we do get in a position to cause more changes to the political and cultural system of the country in the future. If we can identify what are the single worst contributors to a worsened quality of life for us on the government side, we would better know what targets to pick for a more concerted effort in making a difference. Even if the political landscape and culture change overnight and people are much more rational, there would be some things you'd target first for change: what would be the first change you'd make for the better?

Please also explain why you choose what you choose =)

It's not laws or the Constitution or government agencies that are the problem. The people who have no proper understanding of rights, or who think that rights are subordinate to The Greater Common Good™; the people who think the initiation of force is ever morally justified; the people who deny reality, who insist that A can be non-A - they are the problem.

Undoing one law, one Amendment or one agency would be, to paraphrase a German proverb, a drop of water on a hot stone.

IMHO, I would say the DEA and the War on Drugs (thanks Nixon), to be one the most damaging frauds perpetuated on the American people. The really messed up thing is that America has egged on this War on Drugs around the world and chaos has followed. Locking up non-violent drug users, gangs that terrorize cities, corruption of law enforcement, funding terrorism, and the list goes on and on and on.

I think it's income taxes. It's the ultimate violation of property rights, in my opinion, to take away someone's earnings. Earnings that are the very fruits of their labor, their means of survival and the method by which they may pursue happiness. In addition, without the funding, government couldn't do all of the other immoral crap, such as the drug war.

I think the bad philosophy that Randroid is speaking of has come about after years and years of having our rights eroded away. The very term "rights" has been distorted as well. You have a right to a home, right to health care, etc. No one would be saying you have a right to all those things if the tax money weren't there to pay for all those "rights."

I think the bad philosophy that Randroid is speaking of has come about after years and years of having our rights eroded away. The very term "rights" has been distorted as well. You have a right to a home, right to health care, etc. No one would be saying you have a right to all those things if the tax money weren't there to pay for all those "rights."

Such an abomination could never have passed unless there had been a widespread belief that the state has a legitimate claim on people's lives.

But if I had to choose a law or agency, some violation of rights that can be removed with the stroke of a pen, I'd also say "income tax".

I personally think that the Federal Reserve might be more harmful in the long run than the income tax as such, because it enables so much government manipulation of the economy through the various programs it has under its umbrella. If you think about all the recessions and depressions and inflation that's been caused by this organization, and the fact that we'd probably still be on a gold standard if it wasn't for the Fed, I think it might be the single most damaging government entity in existence.

Such an abomination could never have passed unless there had been a widespread belief that the state has a legitimate claim on people's lives.

I disagree it has to be widespread. It only takes a few people in the right places to get this crap rammed down our throats. They may be able to lie and cheat to get some people or groups to go along with it, but the majority of Americans are opposed to it. Then once it's in place, they can justify more and more because there's a precedence for it. And with the press on their side, it suddenly appears it's what the masses want. How convenient!