Objectivism Online Forum

The Art of Fiction: Applicable for children's lit?

Rate this topic

PKD

I've just received "The Art of Fiction". I haven't started to read it yet, but any chance it's applicable to children's literature? I am a writer of children's books, still unpublished, and my protagonists tend to be individualists. I was thinking there might be a market for Objectivist children's books. So, will The Art of Fiction guide me towards better Objectivist writing?

On a separate note, has anyone read "An Island called Liberty"? Love that book, I think Ayn Rand might have approved. :P

-PKD

I have just picked up that big myself, and I have yet to do more then skim through large parts of it. However based on what I do know about fiction writing, and what I know of its contents I will say: Most definetely so. I would think the fundamentals discussed within the book apply equally to any sort of fiction writing.

I have not read that book, who is it by and what is the theme etc? And why do you think Ayn Rand would have approved?

Edited by Prometheus98876

I have just picked up that big myself, and I have yet to do more skim through large parts of it. However based on what I do know about fiction writing, and what I know of its contents I will say: Most definetely so. I would think the fundamentals discussed within the book apply equally to any sort of fiction writing.

I have not read that book, who is it by and what is the theme etc? And why do you think Ayn Rand would have approved?

Hi! The book is about...well, here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/097661600...ASIN=0976616009

It actually mentions Rand in the promotional material. The author is Joseph Specht, and it talks about liberty, overtaxation, free markets, etc.

-PKD

Found this in there and laughed.

"This book is an insult to not only Theodor Seuss Geisel & Ayn Rand, but to any intelligent human being. I have read both authors extensively. My two favorite books in fact being "Oh the places you'll go" and "Anthem"

Ayn Rand, as intelligent and perceptive as she was, lived in a very different time than now. Indeed, with all the proof discovered over the last generation of the effects of Global warming and an unchecked financial system, there can be little doubt (and fools often need little more than little doubt) that she would have changed her opinions as to certain aspects of her stated views.

There are those die hard Randians who hold fast to every word she wrote 4 decades ago and older as if it were a gospel and just like someone who takes the bible as literal they only show themselves to be little more than Lemmings. NOTHING like the adaptive and ever observant Rand herself.

Avoid the embarassment of having someone find this book on your family bookself several years hence, and just go out and buy an actual Dr. Suess book. It will undoubtedly contain more proven facts that this travesty of literature."

Found this in there and laughed.

"This book is an insult to not only Theodor Seuss Geisel & Ayn Rand, but to any intelligent human being. I have read both authors extensively. My two favorite books in fact being "Oh the places you'll go" and "Anthem"

Ayn Rand, as intelligent and perceptive as she was, lived in a very different time than now. Indeed, with all the proof discovered over the last generation of the effects of Global warming and an unchecked financial system, there can be little doubt (and fools often need little more than little doubt) that she would have changed her opinions as to certain aspects of her stated views.

There are those die hard Randians who hold fast to every word she wrote 4 decades ago and older as if it were a gospel and just like someone who takes the bible as literal they only show themselves to be little more than Lemmings. NOTHING like the adaptive and ever observant Rand herself.

Avoid the embarassment of having someone find this book on your family bookself several years hence, and just go out and buy an actual Dr. Suess book. It will undoubtedly contain more proven facts that this travesty of literature."

That review was hilarious in its sheer stupidity. I laughed too.

-PKD

I've just received "The Art of Fiction". I haven't started to read it yet, but any chance it's applicable to children's literature? I am a writer of children's books, still unpublished, and my protagonists tend to be individualists. I was thinking there might be a market for Objectivist children's books. So, will The Art of Fiction guide me towards better Objectivist writing?

On a separate note, has anyone read "An Island called Liberty"? Love that book, I think Ayn Rand might have approved. :thumbsup:

-PKD

Just finished AofF and it would apply to any literature you wish to write. It's really very basic writing education, but much more helpful than anything I've ever read on writing.

I speak for myself obviously, I think A of F is a fantastic book and I definitely think it applies to children's literature. I totally agree that there is a massive need for Romantic literature for children. Back in the day kids grew up with inspiring stories everywhere. Today there's practically nothing aside from maybe Harry Potter. Think about the fact that Ayn Rand grew up reading things like The Mysterious Valley and Hugo. Imagine what would be different if she didn't develop the sense of life that she did.

I am reading The Romantic Manifesto and have finished 6 chapters. Based on that, and a quick look at the table of contents of AoF, I would say that with regard to literature only, AoF appears to supersede RM.

Having said that, RM promises to gives you a wide perspective of art and aesthetics. I am not sure if AoF covers topics such as man's need of art, romantic vs. naturalistic art etc.

I disagree. RM is priceless. It will assist from an artistic perspective, and the essay psycho-epistemology on Art is crazy good for helping you to understand what your readers need mentally.

AoF is divided.

The first part of the book is fantastic writing advice.

The second part is several examples of the principles Rand's talking about presented in certain fiction including her own. These illustrations provide the writing and artistic principles in action.

Get reading