Objectivism Online Forum

Values of Harry Potter

Rate this topic

Scribulus

http://www.valuesofharrypotter.com/

Ari Armstrong's Values of Harry Potter explores the complex themes of J. K. Rowling's beloved novels, illuminating the heroic fight for life-promoting values, the hero's need for independence, and the role of choice in virtue. Drawing on the ideas of Aristotle and Ayn Rand, Armstrong then critiques the Christian elements of self-sacrifice and immortality, arguing that they ultimately clash with the essential nature of the hero as exemplified by Harry Potter and his allies.

I've read all the Harry Potter novels multiple times, discussed them at length with friends, read essays analyzing them, and even published an essay of my own. Yet Ari Armstrong's Values of Harry Potter offered me a delightful array of fresh insights into J. K. Rowling's works. It offers fans of the Harry Potter a unique opportunity to explore the core values of the novels, to discover why we find them so captivating and so inspiring. Readers will develop a deeper appreciation for Rowling's achievement in portraying life-loving, courageous heroes. They will discover compelling answers to any half-formed questions and doubts about the significance of her Christian themes. When I re-read the Harry Potter series -- as I'm eager to do again -- I will gain far more insight and inspiration from them than ever before, thanks to Values of Harry Potter. --Diana Hsieh, NoodleFood, "Dursley Duplicity" in Harry Potter and Philosophy

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

It's deeper than "Dobbie is a free elf!" political stuff, it's metaphysical too. Even though they are ostensibly casting magical spells, they can't just make them work by clicking their fingers. They have to learn the exact incantation and exact hand actions etc. So even though it's magic it's really cause and effect. It's very English in that way.

It's deeper than "Dobbie is a free elf!" political stuff, it's metaphysical too. Even though they are ostensibly casting magical spells, they can't just make them work by clicking their fingers. They have to learn the exact incantation and exact hand actions etc. So even though it's magic it's really cause and effect. It's very English in that way.

Except for house elves like Dobby himself all just snap their fingers for magic to happen.

• 2 years later...