Objectivism Online Forum

Post A Picture Of Your House Or Apartment

Rate this topic

dadmonson

What are you looking for here, the outside view or the inside? Our outside does not come across as very unusual. In fact it looks as it always has. But I have some photos of things we've done on the inside to create storage space. If you'd like to see those, I'll upload them.

I have a room -- but considering that it's a college apartment, I think I've done a decent job with my tiny bit of space.

It's changed a bit since I took these (I accumulate material possessions like a raven does shiny things), but you get the general idea.

Desk, bed, bedside.

Edited by Georgia

Here's the condo we live in now...

100_3801.jpg

100_3802.jpg

100_3817.jpg

And here's the house I lived in before my divorce. It was new, so I still needed some window treatments, some walls painted, some art, etc., but I loved that place...

100_3577.jpg

100_3593.jpg

100_3625.jpg

Living%20Room.jpg

Kitchen.jpg

bed,

Now, as much as I dislike fauna (I'm way more into flora) I do have to say, I like what you have on your bed. Is it a blanket, a throw? I don't know what to refer to it as, but what's pictured on it has some significance to me figuratively.

Kell, nice to see your husband's Larsen print up! I can't hang mine up, because she's way too distracting for me! My walls are all bare. I do not decorate the places I live at. I keep it basic - or actually even below that, since I haven't had a bed in many years. I just will not spend money on something like that. I will go all out on somethings, yet I won't in furnishings. I bought a writing desk though, but the two chairs I have, were to be discarded at work, but I took home instead. I have one chair too many, but I keep two, because knowing me, one will surely break (and one actually is broken now, but still sitable) and I'll have an extra one there in case. Right now, I have it set aside and on it I have a sign that says "My Guests" - it's where I keep my library books...

Anyways, here is a pic of my place from inside, when I first moved in almost two years ago:

It now resembles Dickinson's room a bit, except I don't have a bed, dressers, or 3 pictures on the wall...

The only piece of new furniture I've purchased was the bed. Everything else was either given to me or purchased at a garage sale and fixed up/painted, etc. My ex had a bad habit of being unemployed, so I've not been able to really enjoy the fruits of my labor until the past few years. (And I had a bad habit of allowing him to do that to me. No more!)

For those of you looking to furnish or decorate your homes on a budget, CraigsList frequently has free or cheap decent stuff and freecycle.org is ALL free stuff. Garage sales and consignment shops in high-end areas of town are usually a gold mine as well.

Before and After of my project house...

Outside OLD

outsideold.jpg

NEW

outsidenew.jpg

Living room - OLD

lrold.jpg

- NEW

lrnew.jpg

Kitchen -OLD

kitchenold.jpg

-NEW

kitchennew.jpg

Just as a small indication... there were over 80 nail holes in the walls of the bedroom. When I filled them before painting it looked like a maniac had repeatedly fired a shotgun full of rock salt at the walls.

All the work was done by me.

The living room in the picture is now a den/office with French doors and the old family room is now the living room and the Family room is in the basement which is 99% complete at this point.

Edited by Zip

Yes, I'm definitely a fan of modern. As a matter of fact the outside of my house pisses me off because it is so obviously a cheap imitation of some hack's impression of a country cottage.

I would love to have a sleek, straight edged real modern home like this modern-house-render.jpg. But I'd have to fight my wife for it, she hates flat roofs and calls modern design cold and sterile... :wub:

Oh well at least I got my modern inside...

I'm the same way, intellectualammo. The throw was made by a relative I haven't seen in awhile. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have even picked it up.

There is something about lions, though...

I love the way the light catches in that photo. Reminds me of that first moment when you step into a new space for the very first time; Looking around at all of the potential.

Zip, you did a fantastic job. You have a front lawn now! I'm particularly fond of your dining set. What are the fixtures on the chandelier? Are they cranes, or of an abstract design?

But I'd have to fight my wife for it, she hates flat roofs and calls modern design cold and sterile... :(

Well, I can agree with her, although I think there is a compromise. :wub:

For example, the picture you posted...looks like a great house, but it is kinda cold and uninviting; however, add some tall plants and potted flowers around the pool area, some cushy out door furniture, etc., and it could become very inviting and warm, while remaining very modern. Same w/ the inside, really.

I'm the same way, intellectualammo. The throw was made by a relative I haven't seen in awhile. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't have even picked it up.

There is something about lions, though...

Yes, definately. Have you ever heard of writers being titled literary lions? Well, that's what I mean in the figurative sense of it.

But one note since I'm here about fauna and flora. I almost have an averison to eating meat now, just because I don't really like animals and want no parts of them... And as far as flora go, I have a slight aversion with doing something to them - I just will not send "picked" flowers any longer (as if I had anyone to send them to or to buy them for), because I can't lift up their little flowerheads, while I slice their throats, and give them to a loved one, or have someone else do that for me to send, like in a floral shop. I'd much rather have them in a living form, not in that seemingly inbetween stage. Potted ones are fine, or taking someone to go see ones that are growing in the soil, like in botanical gardens, that's fine too with me. Maybe I am overly sentimental, or just really fucking weird, judge however you guys'd like too.

I love having fresh-cut flowers around. I think it's a tribute to science and mankind. The new varieties they've come up with and the ability to grow them year-round in controlled environments, I find very interesting. Yet another way man is able to shape the world around him to accommodate his needs and wants. Plus, they smell good and look amazing. :(

I enjoy potted plants and gardening as well, but it's kinda hard to have a big rose bush indoors. :wub:

The new varieties they've come up with and the ability to grow them year-round in controlled environments, I find very interesting.

I share that interest.

I enjoy potted plants and gardening as well, but it's kinda hard to have a big rose bush indoors. :wub:

:( True. But I think if one was going to cut, putting them in pot, some will grow though. That's acceptable. :)

Also my slight aversion extends to perfumes, somewhat. Thinking of their little flowerheads being squished for oil, is not appealing to me... Again, perhaps it's sentimentality/sensitivity/symbolic or a psychological thing with me. Probably all? I like the natural smell of flowers, and the natural smell of women, respectively, not interchangeably, but I'd rather not even go there. Best for me not to think about such things, or dwell further on them.

[edit: OMG, this reminds me of Atwood's The edible Woman in a way. Anyways, I think that this is prevalent throughout my own writing, just how much figurative language means to me, that I seemingly almost go too far with it...(dare I say)]

Edited by intellectualammo

Zip, you did a fantastic job. You have a front lawn now! I'm particularly fond of your dining set. What are the fixtures on the chandelier? Are they cranes, or of an abstract design?

Thanks.

They are lilies I think. Some kind of flower at any rate, I just consider them nice bling. :D As you can tell I do the work my wife does the designing.

For example, the picture you posted...looks like a great house, but it is kinda cold and uninviting; ...

What? Look at the outstreched roof calling to the passers by or the large glass front. What is not inviting there? The whole design draws your attention to the house and onwards inside it. This is an awesome house for extrovert people. I love it.

What? Look at the outstretched roof calling to the passers by or the large glass front. What is not inviting there? The whole design draws your attention to the house and onwards inside it. This is an awesome house for extrovert people. I love it.

It looks like a business or museum to me. No cushy comforts I expect in a home. I think the place has potential, it's just boring right now. For example, the pool area in front...I'm not going to enjoy the pool as much sitting on the hard concrete reading a book as I would with in a cushioned lounge chair, with a cocktail on the table next to me as a palm tree sways in the breeze over my head. It would be even better with a second lounge chair for my husband to relax in next to me. That is a home.

Last weekend I watched the Rand documentary, Sense of Life. They showed a picture of a house Ayn and Frank owned in California. It had very nice, modern architecture, but they had it decorated with plants, art and comfortable furniture which made it livable. The house Zip posted has great architecture, it's just not livable, in my opinion. I would make it better with proper furnishings, art, plants, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I'm pretty clueless when it comes to posting images, can anyone give me some pointers?

I see that clicking on the "Insert Image" button while replying prompts you for a URL address which I don't think is going to help me since I don't have a picture sharing account anywhere.

I have tried to "UPLOAD" a file from my computer but that doesn't seem to work, the computer tried and tried but took too long. Is my image too big at 2.1 MB? If so what do I do about that?

Is there another way?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

New to this,

Marc

Using one of the picture-sharing sites is the best way to go: Flickr, Google Picasa, Image Shack etc.

if you don't want to do that, you can use the "Upload" button which is just below the post-typing box. First, "Choose File" from your drive, and then "Upload". When you do that, ypu'll see the uploaded file in the "Attachments" list -- below, left. The image will appear as a thumb-nail on which people have to click to see the full image.

Here is a link to a bunch of before and after's on my house.

Unfortunately now that I have it the way I want it, I have to move... :(

To Philadelphia... :P

http://picasaweb.google.com/kendall.justin...feat=directlink

Edited by KendallJ

• 3 weeks later...
Here is a link to a bunch of before and after's on my house.

Unfortunately now that I have it the way I want it, I have to move... :(

To Philadelphia... <_<

http://picasaweb.google.com/kendall.justin...feat=directlink

Kendall, your home (as it is now) is perfect. Exactly how I like my interiors to look. Modern, yet livable. It's a pity you have to move.